Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight hydraulics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dw914six
I just drove my 914/6 car home after a transmission rebuild by the good Dr. Evil. biggrin.gif

Now,of course, new issues to tackle. mad.gif My passenger headlight will not go go down after I turn the car off. I had to manually bring it down by turning the top of the motor.

Any ideas what the issue is? dry.gif

Thanks for any ideas.
GeorgeRud
Check the fuse and the relay?
dw914six
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 20 2014, 05:45 PM) *

Can't be that...it would be too easy. screwy.gif
I will check it out though. I was thinking motor failure or something more exasperating.

SirAndy
QUOTE(dw914six @ Mar 20 2014, 06:38 PM) *
Headlight hydraulics

The oil probably drained out of the headlight hydraulics ...
biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Check your blinker fluid too biggrin.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(dw914six @ Mar 20 2014, 07:02 PM) *

I will check it out though. I was thinking motor failure or something more exasperating.

Not likely to be the motor if it goes up. Check the relay under the linkage cover and the connections inside the plastic blocks.
There are three wires. Ground, power up and power down. You can manually apply power. Keep you hands away from the linkage arms so you don't get short fingers.
dw914six
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 20 2014, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914six @ Mar 20 2014, 07:02 PM) *

Not likely to be the motor if it goes up. Check the relay under the linkage cover and the connections inside the plastic blocks.
There are three wires. Ground, power up and power down. You can manually apply power. Keep you hands away from the linkage arms so you don't get short fingers.

blink.gif ouch! I did that once on a table saw. Bad way to learn a lesson believe me. 9 hour surgery and a few years of rehab and I can play golf again. Bit not the guitar.

Thanks guys for the advice. I will try everything mentioned. aktion035.gif
toolguy
the same lead goes to both motors. . If one goes down, the headlight switch is OK. and the lead from the switch to the left motor is good. . . the lead from the headlight switch goes to the drivers side motor and halftaps off over to the passenger side motor. Best place to start is to swap the relays side to side and see where the trouble goes. . if no change, trace continuity, or the motor itself. . the motor gearbox has contacts inside it to control stop position and direction. .
Green/ Blk is the down lead. . it should have 12v on it when the headlights are to go down.
dw914six
QUOTE(toolguy @ Mar 20 2014, 08:33 PM) *

the same lead goes to both motors. . If one goes down, the headlight switch is OK. and the lead from the switch to the left motor is good. . . the lead from the headlight switch goes to the drivers side motor and halftaps off over to the passenger side motor. Best place to start is to swap the relays side to side and see where the trouble goes. . if no change, trace continuity, or the motor itself. . the motor gearbox has contacts inside it to control stop position and direction. .
Green/ Blk is the down lead. . it should have 12v on it when the headlights are to go down.

drooley.gif amazing depth of knowledge you folks have. The advice is appreciated.
mepstein
QUOTE(toolguy @ Mar 21 2014, 12:33 AM) *

small hijack - my lights go up but not down and now they will not turn on. before that, just the high beam would turn on. what should I be looking for? thanks
toolguy
lose fuses
mepstein
QUOTE(toolguy @ Mar 21 2014, 09:30 PM) *

lose fuses

I replaced the fuse panel with a cleaned rehabbed one and all new fuses. Still no joy
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2014, 07:28 PM) *

Headlight hydraulics

biggrin.gif

Man, I got here late for that... av-943.gif
dw914six
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 21 2014, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2014, 07:28 PM) *

Headlight hydraulics

biggrin.gif

Man, I got here late for that... av-943.gif

Yeah, that and blinker fluid were especially good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.