Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Right tail light problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
New to 914s and trying to sort through some electrical issues.

My passenger side rear tail light has stopped working.

I traced all the wires leading back there from the engine compartment side of the firewall and they're good. I removed and cleaned the ground at the lamp housing. I swapped the bulb into the driver side lamp and it worked fine. I tested the connection inside, where the bulb touches whatever that metal piece is called and it shows no voltage. However, the brake light works fine.

Looking at Tech Tips 700, it doesn't list one of the rear light housing terminals as simply 'tail light' - there's ground, turn signal, reverse light, brake light and parking light. And looking at the Haynes manual only the left and right parking lights go directly back to the fuse box. So I'm a little confused about which wire I should be tracing the other side of the firewall.

Is the tail light connected to parking light?

Fuse 6 keeps popping (although oddly I replaced the fuse tonight, it didn't pop yet the parking lights still aren't working??) so if they are connected, whatever's causing that is my culprit. If not I have no idea where to look next.

John
Tom
Yes, the tail light is connected to the parking light. The side marker light is also included in that circuit, so that may be your problem. Maybe take the right side marker light apart and clean it up.
Tom
ripper911
Some previous owner marked my taillight housings.

IPB Image

It's a 74

Hope it helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.