Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real Hot Blue Bosch 12V Coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
I was tinkering around this weekend trying to isolate the handheld brake light problem I HAD. I turned the ignition on (engine off) and was working the issue. I accidently left the ignition in the on position for about 20 minutes. When I returned to the engine bay and was working on some wire connectors I accidently touched the coil with my hand and it was HOT - very hot.

Can someone tell me if that is normal, or if I should be concerned about anything in particular.

thanks, IPB Image
Marlow
Whenever I work on my car with the ignition on I always disconnect the coil.

If the points in the distributor are closed when the ignition is on (engine off) the coil is getting power and will heat up. I also heard somewhere that this could lead to damage to the wiring harness if the ignition is left on too long and the points are closed.
McMark
It can damage your points and will kill a pertronix.
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 10 2005, 12:07 PM)
It can damage your points and will kill a pertronix.

IPB Image

all sorts of bad things can happen when you do that ...
IPB Image Andy
grasshopper
That happened to me once. Something really weird happened. it didn't damage anything but out of no where it blew up. No one else had ever heard of this happening but just watch out. It got really hot before it happened.
SLITS
If you leave the ignition on, with the points closed, the coil will (over) heat to a point where it will explode.....................

And, if you have a VW Bus (early split-window), the coil is aimed right at the gas line from the tank....the hot wires will melt the fuel line, ignite the fuel (which you won't be able to put out) and the fire will eventually get hot enough to start the mag engine case on fire (which you won't put out) and the Forest Service Fire Truck will eventually arrive and they will protect everything from your buring van and after it is all over will tell you that you have a really big tax write off that year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.