porbmw
I am going to be needing at least 2 or 3 of these...just in case

Any recommendations.....
Big Len
Me too. popcorn[1].gif
Mike Bellis
A 5lb BC is all you need.
brant
I think the BC is corrosive to different metals?
haven't ever used one personally...
of course if your car is burning down, corrosion may not be the biggest concern. I'd just hate to put out a tiny fire, like wiring under the dash... and then find out that all of the connections and wiring is trashed due to corrosion

but halon or halotron was sold as an automotive application
and now the new foam extinguishers are considered safer (inhalation) and more environmentally friendly... (although I believe they have to be tested and certified every other year which is a huge trade off)

don't breath halon
it only takes a second
a friend's teener caught on fire in staging
he hit the system button, and passed out before he could get out of the car
another friend drug him out the window and got small burns on his hand while doing it.... exit the car with halon.. hell exit the car with any fire.
(that teener burned to the ground in staging)

Mike Bellis
agree.gif

Most racing sanctioning bodies want a BC or Halon system. Halon is now illegal to produce due to greenhouse effects. So the prices to refill will only go up.

I have both a BC and an AFFF (Fire Foam) system. Most racing sanctioning bodies have not fully accepted the AFFF systems but I don't care. My BC keeps me legal. My AFFF will keep the fire at bay. The AFFF system I use can be refilled at the track if needed.

http://augustamotorsports.biz/firecharger-...guisher-system/

IPB Image
MMW
I have halotron in my car. I would only use a bc as a last resort. I was told that the chemicals in bc start corroding immediately. It is difficult to clean up & if sucked into a running engine will pretty much ruin it. Halotron is a gas with no residue. The cost is more than powders but if it saves the car & doesn't due any collateral damage it is worth it.

FYI if you have an engine fire spray through the vents. Do not open the engine lid as it will increase the fire due to the added oxygen available.
stugray
IPB Image

I have that system.
Never had to use it yet and hopefully never have to.

Note: Those come in two sizes. The smaller supports two nozzles and the large three.
Decide what you need before ordering.
orthobiz
I have some handheld Halon extinguishers, but am only ready to treat small fires obviously. Thought about the Halotron and I think it's a good modern way to go but per unit extinguisher size, it's less effective than Halon. Maybe think doubling the requirement for an individual application? Some is definitely better than none!

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
I've got this at the small, local general/civil aviation airport nearby. They have told me that there is no problem with its use in their civil aviation application.
Porsche930dude
one reason i ran my fuel lines into the top of the tank. those bottom feeders just beg for disaster
pvollma
I also have the H3R Halguard extinguisher, 2.5 lb. along with their universal seat mount. Got it through an American Speed Centers store.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.