Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A couple of wheel questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Deep6
I just found this 1972 parts car and trying to figure out what these wheels are and how to remove them to put on a 71.

I would like to find a key to fit these as opposed to just grinding them away if they are a Porsche lugs.

Also, does anyone know what these wheels are???

The tires are 195 15

Thanks in advance.
George
71 1.7
Austin, TexasClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Dustin
I don't see the heart.
Deep6
QUOTE(Dustin @ Apr 4 2014, 08:43 PM) *

I don't see the heart.

Your right, no heart.

I guess I won't know until I can remove them. I have an early 911 key, but it doesn't fit. Click to view attachment
bulitt
Take a chisel and a BFH and smack em lefty loosey till they come off. Wear your safety glasses.
smarens
is it a lug on a stud? I can't be sure from the picture, if so you can take a die grinder with cut-off wheel and carefully put a cut in it length wise to remove most of the pressure and chisel idea is excellent, might be easier, I had to do that once on cheap stripped out wheel lock
carr914
Craftsman makes a Tool to take Wheel Locks off. Before you Fuch up a Whell call around to a few Tire Stores to see if they have a Tool to take them off. When you get them off, throw those Fuchers in the Trash.

Not all Early Fuchs have Hearts!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 5 2014, 05:23 PM) *

And they are on it inside if they do have them, so you won't see them until the wheel is off the car.

ConeDodger
Looks like a Mcgard sp? wheel lock.

If it's a real early Fuchs wheel and I would guess it is if it only has a 195 tire on it, the car is came off of and it seems many of the parts, are made almost literally of gold.

Sell them...
Deep6

Craftsman makes a Tool to take Wheel Locks off. Before you Fuch up a Whell call around to a few Tire Stores to see if they have a Tool to take them off. When you get them off, throw those Fuchers in the Trash.

I did check the other wheels and found one where the previous owner attempted to remove one of the locks on a wheel. I ended up using a 3/4 inch Milwaukee whole saw from Home Depot. 45 min. later, I drilled far enough to loosen the bolt.

The other three I want to find the proper key or I'm thinking of taking the car to a local machine shop to have them removed??

Turns out the wheels are 15x6 aew, oh well but they are in nice shape.

George
Deep6
Smarens,

it did turned out to be "lug on a stud"
bandjoey
I couldn't find a tool to fit mine. Bought a HF impact socket. BFH to install it. Lots of penetrating oil. Breaker bar. Finally turned it off. Drive it in. Turn.

campbellcj
That looks like a type of lock that was on my 70 911 when I bought it many many years ago. I had to have them cut-off by a tire shop, and they did it with no damage to th wheels or studs. The name of the lock may come back to me but very hazy right now - I'm thinking "McGuard"?. The only other option floated was to make an impression/mold and cast a new key from it, but that seemed like a giant PITA.
Deep6
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 5 2014, 11:58 PM) *

That looks like a type of lock that was on my 70 911 when I bought it many many years ago. I had to have them cut-off by a tire shop, and they did it with no damage to th wheels or studs. The name of the lock may come back to me but very hazy right now - I'm thinking "McGuard"?. The only other option floated was to make an impression/mold and cast a new key from it, but that seemed like a giant PITA.

Chris, I believe you are correct, "McGuard" from looking on E-bay, Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone. In the description it claims "•The computer generated key designs allow for an infinite number of key patterns". So finding a matching key is a waste of time.

The problem with the one I removed the stud was loose and spinning because it came unpressed, hopefully the rest won't be so difficult.

Thanks all for the suggestions, the cut off with a delicate bfh path will work.
carr914
QUOTE(Deep6 @ Apr 5 2014, 06:44 PM) *

George

Of course it is a 15x6 - what did you think it was?
Deep6
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 6 2014, 06:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Deep6 @ Apr 5 2014, 06:44 PM) *

George

Of course it is a 15x6 - what did you think it was?

hoping for fuchs

dan_the _body_guy
the easiest way ive found to remove wheel locks is to weld a nut with slightly larger threads in top of the lock then just use a socket and breaker bar to spin them off..a quick work of caution: cover the wheel with something before welding so you dont get slag melted to it welder.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dan_the _body_guy @ Apr 6 2014, 03:44 PM) *

the easiest way ive found to remove wheel locks is to weld a nut with slightly larger threads in top of the lock then just use a socket and breaker bar to spin them off..a quick work of caution: cover the wheel with something before welding so you dont get slag melted to it welder.gif

I just use a nice, sharp air chisel......
smarens
well did it come off yet?
Deep6
Daily shot of P.B blaster and a sharp chisel was all it needed to persuade the other 3 off.
sixnotfour
Good Job.. patience is a virtue...Congrats
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.