Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fduval
Hi , I am new to the 914 ownership, just bought the car from member KADUKU !
The rear end of the car is kind of very soft, I guess
the rear shocks need to be replaced, what do you guys recommend for street use .
The car is a 1973 with a 2 liter engine.
Thanks

smarens
I'm in the same boat, are you looking at doing just shocks or springs also? I've see a lot about not using KYB, good things about Bilstein and upgrading to 100lb springs over stock 90lb, I'm thinking of doing mine myself but need to get a spring compressor, sorry to not have expert advice but that is just what I have read so far
fduval
QUOTE(smarens @ Apr 5 2014, 12:11 PM) *

I'm in the same boat, are you looking at doing just shocks or springs also? I've see a lot about not using KYB, good things about Bilstein and upgrading to 100lb springs over stock 90lb, I'm thinking of doing mine myself but need to get a spring compressor, sorry to not have expert advice but that is just what I have read so far

I guess I should do both ! 100 lbs spring seems to be a good improvement
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
The upgrade to 100lb springs is common & as for the shocks I'd go with Bilstein. I prefer them over either Boge & Koni for daily use, but that's just me.
fduval
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 5 2014, 12:31 PM) *

welcome.png
The upgrade to 100lb springs is common & as for the shocks I'd go with Bilstein. I prefer them over either Boge & Koni for daily use, but that's just me.

Thanks for the welcome Johny
mepstein
I did it myself with boge's and 100 springs and dropped by my local mechanic and he compressed the springs for no charge. Took him 2 minutes.
stugray
If you want a really good setup, get a set of adjustable perches, springs and shock from ground control.
Based on your application they will calculate exactly what you need.

I also have a set of stock "barely used" springs, and a set of new weltmeister 180lb springs that I dont need.

I even have a decent set of Koni adjustable shocks, but messed up the threads at the top of one of them.
carr914
Koni - Koni has their Yearly Sale going on right now
barefoot
Lots of auto parts stores will lend spring compressors, that's what i did
914_teener
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 5 2014, 01:37 PM) *

I did it myself with boge's and 100 springs and dropped by my local mechanic and he compressed the springs for no charge. Took him 2 minutes.

agree.gif

This is what I did. Just make sure your control arm bushings aren't shot. Otherwise all for not....... doesn't matter what shock you use.

saigon71
I am very happy with Billsteins for my street/DD car.

I stuck with my stock springs. I highly recommend replacing your springs "while you are in there" as I have noticed some sag in the rear of the car. I'm going to pick up a new set of springs to be installed next time I drop the trailing arms.

For a street car I think 80-100 lb springs with a good set of shocks is a nice setup.

carr914
QUOTE(smarens @ Apr 5 2014, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Apr 5 2014, 07:31 PM) *

You don't need Spring Compressors!

Take off bolts in Trunk, Jack up the Rear of the car, the Springs & Shocks will drop. Un-do bottom Shock Bolt, take off. Reverse the proceedure & you are done!
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 6 2014, 12:25 PM) *

Take off bolts in Trunk, Jack up the Rear of the car, the Springs & Shocks will drop. Un-do bottom Shock Bolt, take off. Reverse the proceedure & you are done!

I needed them compressed to get the bolt back on the shock with the new springs. I could get it close but after a half hour of trying I drove the 2 miles to the shop and got it done.
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2014, 01:11 PM) *

I needed them compressed to get the bolt back on the shock with the new springs. I could get it close but after a half hour of trying I drove the 2 miles to the shop and got it done.

If you had sat in the Trunk, your weight would have compressed the Springs and you would have gotten the nut on
injunmort
I did this today, bilsteins to replace kyb, s and 100lbs. springs. set clip second to top position on shock body and assemble, no spring compressor needed. no spring compressor needed to disassemble the kyb's either.
wndsnd
Are you guys replacing the bump stops and if so where did you get them?

John
Paragon
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 6 2014, 06:10 PM) *

Are you guys replacing the bump stops and if so where did you get them?

John

The Koni Competition bump rubbers may be worth considering.
injunmort
I reused the bumpstops as they were ok
Mr Pharmacist
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 6 2014, 10:42 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2014, 01:11 PM) *

If you had sat in the Trunk, your weight would have compressed the Springs and you would have gotten the nut on

Thanks for that handy hint - tried it earlier and worked a treat - much easier than using spring compressors!!

Any handy hints for changing the front inserts? (sorry for the hijack but did a quick search and couldnt seem to find a post on how to go about this)

Thanks
Paragon

Any handy hints for changing the front inserts? (sorry for the hijack but did a quick search and couldnt seem to find a post on how to go about this)

Thanks

Easy. We wrote this years ago...kind of generic but I think you'll get the idea:

https://www.paragon-products.com/kb_results.asp?ID=1
Mr Pharmacist
cool.gif Thanks!
carr914
QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 7 2014, 06:14 PM) *

Thanks

Easy. We wrote this years ago...kind of generic but I think you'll get the idea:

bye1.gif Hi Jason!

Folks this one of Best People to Buy parts from!

T.C.

I've been dealing with Jason, before Al Gore invented the Internet and we used to deal with Paper Catalogs
bigkensteele
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 7 2014, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 7 2014, 06:14 PM) *

Thanks

bye1.gif Hi Jason!

Folks this one of Best People to Buy parts from!

T.C.

I've been dealing with Jason, before Al Gore invented the Internet and we used to deal with Paper Catalogs

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Good to see you here, Jason! You are on my list of folks to call in the near future as my suspension overhaul is on the short list now.
Paragon
[/quote]
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Good to see you here, Jason! You are on my list of folks to call in the near future as my suspension overhaul is on the short list now.
[/quote]

I'm having fun. I spend time here, the Early 911S Registry site and Rennlist. If you want Koni's, do it before the end of May to take advantage of the sale. My suspension dream package is: Koni Sport Yellows front and rear, 21mm torsion bars, 19mm fr. sway bar and adjustable ride height with 150-175# rear springs. Bushings too. Already on the new to me LE or I'd be pulling the stuff off the shelf!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.