Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: floor rust fix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AfricanHijinx
hey Guys I started to cut out the rusted corner on the passenger side and found all of this, whats the best way to fix this?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

here are my longs

Click to view attachment

can I just patch in some new metal here?
malcolm2
QUOTE(AfricanHijinx @ Apr 5 2014, 08:56 PM) *

hey Guys I started to cut out the rusted corner on the passenger side and found all of this, whats the best way to fix this?

You should probably cut some more out of the long. You are going to need to see deeper. Get the car well supported on that side and cut more. How does the hell hole look? Could be that acid got down in there and ate from the inside.

The floor will be a patch, but you need to take care of the long first.
AfricanHijinx
hell hole was bad, I cut that out too. Also the fire wall behind the HH was crispy so I cut and replaced that.

dan_the _body_guy
QUOTE(AfricanHijinx @ Apr 5 2014, 09:56 PM) *

here are my longs

been doing auto body for 27 years, not to sound like a smart ass but if youre asking others if you can add metal im guessing you dont know how to fix it correctly yourself. the longs are the main structure or frame of this car your best bet is to get it cleaned up with a small sandblaster and see what you have left to work with. it should be braced at some point before you start removing too much metal and or welding on it to keep the body from flexing...then you can start to dig in and see how far you need to cut to find solid metal to weld to. good luck to you
AfricanHijinx
I guess my question was if I could patch it instead of replacing the whole long. it looks like that there is a structure tube then a skin around it. the inside tube is solid just a little bit of surface rust
dan_the _body_guy
QUOTE(AfricanHijinx @ Apr 6 2014, 11:35 AM) *

I guess my question was if I could patch it instead of replacing the whole long. it looks like that there is a structure tube then a skin around it. the inside tube is solid just a little bit of surface rust

thats entirely up to you but you need to remove the rott first then cut out thin weak metal and coat it with a weld thru coating before you can weld anything. at that point you will know how far to replace and you can determine the easiest way weather it be patching, sectioning from a donor or replacing the panel
scotty b
FIRST you need to brace the car up extremely well. Not only in the door jambs, but you need to tie the rear of the car to the passenger compartment. Once you get to cutting the rot out from the side, the weight of the rear clip is going to want to take over. Once enough metal is cut out, the rear is going to start sagging
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 6 2014, 02:50 PM) *

FIRST you need to brace the car up extremely well. Not only in the door jambs, but you need to tie the rear of the car to the passenger compartment. Once you get to cutting the rot out from the side, the weight of the rear clip is going to want to take over. Once enough metal is cut out, the rear is going to start sagging

Scotty - You need to show him how that's done, on a red car with flares. LOL!
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2014, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 6 2014, 02:50 PM) *

Scotty - You need to show him how that's done, on a red car with flares. LOL!

agree.gif That is the next step unsure.gif
orangecrate
What they said!!! Ouch. I just finished a somewhat similar repair . New floorpan , and lots of patching and fabricating in the hellhole. First get a big helping of patience. Then make sure you get ALL that rusty shit out. It really sucks to get a repair panel almost finished and then , on that last little weld, Psht. It just vaporizes!!!! Aaaay!!! Be aware that most of that is two seperate pieces of sheet metal. Then check out Restoration Design I'm very happy with the pieces I got from them. And donor panels Good luck with that. My car was garage kept for 16 years in the NW and it still had a lot a rot. Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.