Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 4 corner repair build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jmkorfha
Hi Guys, I've been lurking here since last November and have enjoyed all the threads, especially the build threads. I am a retired Mechanic and shop owner . I got started in 1978 restoring VW Beetles. In 1981 I got a 1973 orange 914 rust bucket with a blown engine and a transmission with no first. I completely overhauled the mechanicals but had sagging issues so I got rid of the car but not the dream.
Last November I bought a 1973 Blue 914 from George that was hit light on all 4 corners.
Coming are some pics of the before and current work as soon as I figure it out.
trojanhorsepower
welcome.png

We always like progress threads here!

And oh yea!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Jmkorfha
Here are some starting pics showing the damage.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=446
209]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=446213]
trojanhorsepower
Wow, that looks like a big job. What is your plan? Might be a good excuse to go with fiberglass quarters.
rick 918-S
welcome.png That's the car you had in Florida. Nice to here it made it up to MN. aktion035.gif

I may have parts for you very soon. I have a rear clip at Irv's house in the metro. (914coop)

I have a right good right fender too. Some of it may repair nicely though.

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
Jmkorfha
The previous pics were in Orlando, Fl. I towed the car to Minnesota about 2 weeks ago and have been working on it in my Austin, MN shop.
I spent a lot of time with the mo clamps pulling and working the metal in order to see what panels will need replacing and what can be salvaged.
Here is the right front straightened and dolleyed:
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=446
222]
More pics of the front end, replacement fender piece, and trunk area.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=446
226]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
brant
Awesome
Jmkorfha
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 8 2014, 06:45 PM) *

welcome.png That's the car you had in Florida. Nice to here it made it up to MN. aktion035.gif

I may have parts for you very soon. I have a rear clip at Irv's house in the metro. (914coop)

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the offer.
And the help earlier.
I have a left rear 1/4, a right front fender, and a left section.
I am a welder/ fabricator and am in the process of welding the left section in this week.
I am trying to decide whether to section the right front or to install the complete fender. I will see how the section turns out on the left one.
I pulled the rear quarters out by the taillights and they came out nicely. The taillights fit now and the trunk lid gaps are real close.
A couple thousand more hours and i may be close. welder.gif
Jmkorfha
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Apr 8 2014, 06:41 PM) *

Wow, that looks like a big job. What is your plan? Might be a good excuse to go with fiberglass quarters.

Stock all the way. The car only has 69,000 miles on it and is mostly original.
Qarl
Pretty color and Pedrininis!

Please save it!

Jmkorfha
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 8 2014, 07:25 PM) *

Pretty color and Pedrininis!

Please save it!

I will. It's all I can think about.
It's my summer project.
I want it back in Florida next winter.
Qarl
Let me know when you are back in Orlando! smile.gif
Jmkorfha
Here are some pics of my practice welding. I was a little rusty.
Sort of in order from worst to best.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=446
258]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
And a butt weld on a piece of fender.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
The welder I'm using.
Click to view attachment
Jmkorfha
Some pictures of the spot weld cuts, the cutter, and some other tools I'm using.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=446
269]Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Niiice.
scotty b
Looks like a pretty clean car. Nice find smile.gif
Jmkorfha
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 8 2014, 07:33 PM) *

Let me know when you are back in Orlando! smile.gif

Will do.
FourBlades
Great work! first.gif

Thanks for saving another one. beer3.gif

John
PanelBilly
Keep us posted on the progress (and regress) and welcome to the world
boxsterfan
popcorn[1].gif Awesome!!
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 8 2014, 06:25 PM) *

Please save it!

Ummm... this is his build thread Q. Pretty sure he's saving it.

See what happens when you have a keg and a tap in your garage... beer3.gif blink.gif
Qarl
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 9 2014, 12:54 PM) *

Please save it!

See what happens when you have a keg and a tap in your garage... beer3.gif blink.gif

I know, I was providing encouragement! confused24.gif

See what happens when you start hanging out too much with the whine and cheese crowd! screwy.gif

lol-2.gif happy11.gif slap.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 9 2014, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 9 2014, 12:54 PM) *

Please save it!

I know, I was providing encouragement! confused24.gif

See what happens when you start hanging out too much with the whine and cheese crowd! screwy.gif

lol-2.gif happy11.gif slap.gif

av-943.gif So much fun when the shooting starts ar15.gif
Eric_Shea
Send beer and we're all good. beerchug.gif
Qarl
My beer is keg only at this time.

I do have a conversion gun thing-a-mabob that will allow me to bottle. Haven't done much with it yet.

OK, we will stop hijacking this thread... sorry Jmkorfha!

Back to pics and your restoration...

piratenanner.gif

boogie_man
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 8 2014, 04:45 PM) *

I agree, most of that could be repaired other than the right fender, at least you have great metal to work with, very solid. Good luck
Jmkorfha
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Apr 9 2014, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 8 2014, 04:45 PM) *

I agree, most of that could be repaired other than the right fender, at least you have great metal to work with, very solid. Good luck

I have consulted with many different people, some better than others. The opinions I tend to agree with were that all except the right fender could be straightened. The kicker, though, is the estimated hours were adding up so rapidly that cut and replace became more appealing from a cost standpoint.
I do wreck repairables all the time and it's almost always cheaper to replace rather than straighten. The welded on fenders are different, of course. I have opted to do the work I'm comfortable with because I don't add up my hours and I can get as picky as I want.
When I'm done with the welding, I'll have a real bodyman smooth and paint.
yeahmag
Watching this closely. I have two corners to do myself now!
Jmkorfha
Worked today on the front fender mount areas.
Also patched a rust hole on the left fender section and fitted it to the car.
I used Tig for the patching.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=446
472]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=446476]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Before picture:
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Mad skills Jason. thumb3d.gif
Spoke
Nice work.

beerchug.gif
Jmkorfha
Thanks Guys!
I spent a couple days cleaning the shop dry.gif
Over the weekend I spent a few hours getting the right headlight assembly hole square so the light goes up and down properly. Gee-ometry.
Today I did the fitting for the Left fender and I'm ready to start welding.
I'm out of weld through primer so I quit for the day.
Here are some pictures of the fender:
Jmkorfha
Everyone should have an old VW transmission as a shop doorstop.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.