Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head lapping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
revhi109
So I finally got my heads back from getting resurfaced and a few other things. It is warm enough now to start attempting to install the heads. I know there are mixed feelings about using head gaskets or not, but I bought some anyway because that is why I'm in this situation to begin with. If I am going to install these head gaskets, do I still need to lap the cylinders to the heads?
Dave_Darling
Nope. Lapping is to get the two surfaces to conform to each other. If you put a gasket in between, those two surfaces won't touch each other so the lapping is wasted.

--DD
r_towle
While I would agree in principle with what DD just stated, without seeing your specific heads and cylinders, I would not suggest that you do not lap them.

Its a belt and suspenders thing...

Given your previous experience, maybe the extra hour or two would be a good investment of your time.

rich
revhi109
Yeah I wasnt sure I the machine groves would need to be smoothed out a bit. I also have no idea the the tops of the cylinders are flat or not. Just a thought
r_towle
belt and suspenders....
Do it.

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.