Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swapping to carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Have a 1975 1.8 with 2.0 heads, being used as a street driver. Want to install complete carb kits. What are people using?
I will install a 009 distributor, mechanical fuel pump.
Looking for ideas. I've seen the Empi 40 and 44 kits on the Samba.
Thanks
Craig at CAMP
r3dplanet
Hi there.

First up, skip the 009. The distributor that came with the 1.8 is perfect for carbs.

Second, use a rotary electric fuel pump like this one:

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetail...roductCode=3193

Third, you'll probably want Weber IDF 40 or Dellorto DRLA 36 carbs, like these which include intakes:

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetail...roductCode=6410

Some say that getting a older pair of Italian-made Weber 40 carburetors and rebuilding them are the better way to go.

-marcus

ClayPerrine
If the motor has a stock cam in it, then you will not be gaining anything by removing the fuel injection. The stock injection is designed for the motor, the carbs are a compromise. Your performance will drop, and you will get lousy gas mileage.

Now it becomes a whole different story if you have changed the cam.

I recommend you get the fuel injection working correctly and drive it the way it is.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 11 2014, 07:39 AM) *

If the motor has a stock cam in it, then you will not be gaining anything by removing the fuel injection. The stock injection is designed for the motor, the carbs are a compromise. Your performance will drop, and you will get lousy gas mileage.

Now it becomes a whole different story if you have changed the cam.

I recommend you get the fuel injection working correctly and drive it the way it is.

If you read the whole post a 1.8 with 2.0 heads is going to need a bastardized FI system to start with....
From personal experience w/40idf's on a stock 1.8 IF you ditch the HE for headers there WILL be a seat of the pants difference in performance...

Good Luck...
rhodyguy
the carb set craig is looking into is the Empi HPMX flavor. same as mike blizzard fought and had to return.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 11 2014, 07:35 AM) *

If you read the whole post a 1.8 with 2.0 heads is going to need a bastardized FI system to start with....

Mark, Can you explain more about the bastardization?

I may have bastardized mine and called it something different. I have 1.8 heads with 2.0 size valves, L-jet, stock disty, 1911 cc and I like the way it runs.

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I like the bastard, if that is what I have... shades.gif
ChrisFoley
He's referring to the runners for 2 liter FI not lining up with the 1.8L FI plenum.
However, longer hoses to connect them are not difficult to make using silicone hose and hose clamps.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 11 2014, 08:51 AM) *

He's referring to the runners for 2 liter FI not lining up with the 1.8L FI plenum.
However, longer hoses to connect them are not difficult to make using silicone hose and hose clamps.

OK, I certainly did not have to worry about that. I tweeked my AFM to get my Air/Fuel ratio fine tuned via the AFM adjustment but that is it.

Regardless, I approve of the way it is running, so I must have done something right.....

BTW Chris will you ship my CV joints today?

Clark
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 11 2014, 09:15 AM) *

BTW Chris will you ship my CV joints today?

I'm planning to. smile.gif
914werke
Craig dont know if this is a (FI) problem seeking a solution or confused24.gif
But both L-Jet & D-jet will run that motor parts combo.
I did a 1911 with 2.0 heads & Djet that with some MPS tweaking by Geoff & his
LM1 kit ran REALLY well.
PotterPorsche
I like 36 dellorto's with the update kit , If your ever going to build a bigger engine 40 dellortos. Black line racing can rebuild any carbs you find. My brother runs webers both 40 and 44

http://www.blacklineracing.net/
dirk9141973
QUOTE(PotterPorsche @ Apr 11 2014, 12:01 PM) *

I like 36 dellorto's with the update kit , If your ever going to build a bigger engine 40 dellortos. Black line racing can rebuild any carbs you find. My brother runs webers both 40 and 44

http://www.blacklineracing.net/

I have been satisfied with Empi 40 on my 2056 engine with magna spark II distributor
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 11 2014, 09:51 AM) *

Yep, thanks Chris, a bastardized FI system will work, I was just referring to the logic of why he needs/wants carbs shades.gif

If it was me I agree that with a stock cam I would try to make a FI system work. That is if I had had one handy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.