Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dave Darling - time to get your 914 going!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Demick
Dave needs to get his 914 running. Now that '74's are smog exempt, he has some new options that weren't previously available:

1. Convert to carbs! I know even the suggestion of carbs is probably sacrelige, but face it - a fuel injection problem has been kicking your ass for 4 years now. You've done everything you can possibly think of to fix it - twice. Think about it - for somewhere around $500 and a day of work, you could be driving your 914 again!

2. Megasquirt. Looks like Dave Hunt now has his megasquirt system pretty well dialed in, and this looks to be a good viable alternative to the d-jet FI system. It's cheap, and the hard work and research has already been done.

Converting to carbs or megasquirt doesn't mean you can't still be a die-hard d-jet fan.

C-mon, lets get you back in the drivers seat (of a 914, not a CRX)

Demick
'74 2.0
Brad Roberts
I think we are past the point of him getting the car running.

Think about what he has to live up too IF he does get it running.

We will also end up with nothing to rag his ass about if he does get it running.

B
Demick
I agree we are past the point of getting his car running *with d-jet*. But I don't think he has seriously considered alternatives that are now possible now that the car is smog exempt.

Since he cut his hair short, he has demonstrated that he is open to new possibilities - so maybe that open-mindedness will extend to his 914 as well.

He doesn't have much to live up to if he does get it running. It will open up a whole bag of new excuses. Like when he can't beat me on the autocross course, he can blame his new carbs!

Demick
airsix
Carbs? NO FREAKIN WAY. I did full digital EFI/ignition for $500! Megasquirt would be even cheaper. Carbs are dead. EFI - pay less, get more.

-Ben M.
JeffBowlsby
I don't think Dave seriously ever intends to get his car running Y'all. He'll just play this one out for all the good press its worth...

Its the old hollywood saying that Any publicity, even so called Bad publicity is a Good thing and keeps one in the news. Daves car must hold the record for the longest non-driven 914 car...that runs. Notice I did not say non-running car as we've heard that it actually does run...just in a very rich way...better than too lean I suppose.

We love you Dave...group hug! rolleyes.gif

We know you'll tell us when, or if, you are ready for any assistance...
Jenny
QUOTE(Demick @ May 29 2003, 01:09 PM)
Since he cut his hair short, he has demonstrated that he is open to new possibilities - so maybe that open-mindedness will extend to his 914 as well.

When was this??? I just saw him two weeks ago. Or were you just joshin' us?

Jen
Mueller
I've got a working MS sitting on my workbench right now that he can use.

It just needs to have the firmware tweaked to fix the incorrect setting I had originally setup in the tables.

What it really needs is a better harness, my homebuilt 10 gage all wires the same color is a tad bit hard for install and trouble shooting wacko.gif
Brad Roberts
Jenny.. read the BBS a little more often.. Dave cut his hair awhile back..LOL

I have a funny feeling that DD cant drive (reverse psychology).. he is/was a AutoX instructor because they needed warm bodies..LOL

B
Demick
I autocrossed with/against Dave for 1 season. He was faster than me then (my 1st season)- we were both on street tires. Then at the beginning of my 2nd season, his car crapped out - dropped a valve seat. Hasn't run since (well, not really).

Demick
Brad Roberts
I have actually ridden in it... so I know it runs.

B
silver six
I have a theory: DD doesn't really like 914s. He just likes whining.

Douglas

[I'm just kidding, Dave; don't hurt me]
Aaron Cox
lol2.gif poor dave...not even here oten enuff to defend himself! maybe he is already working on his carb conversion
EdwardBlume
I say we get a flatbed........
meet at his house at 2am........
steal it.....
fix or replace as needed......
put it back.....

Dave can make it up to us with unlimited supplies of PP 10% off coupons.
campbellcj
QUOTE(Demick @ May 29 2003, 01:09 PM)
...Since he cut his hair short...

WHAT ?!?!?!
markb
Anybody got a pic of DDD with short hair? This I gotta see. lol2.gif
Aaron Cox
ok here ya go...
page 2, almost all the way down

Dave w/ short hair
Joe Bob
Geeez, he needs a short sleeved shirt, tie and a pocket protector..... blink.gif
campbellcj
Omigod.

I am actually thinking about cutting my hair too...about 4" or so. It would still be to my shoulders.

My bro had long hair for many years; now it's about like Dave's (or shorter). Freaked me out when I saw him recently. Hair must be "out" in Silicon Valley now, LOL.
jonwatts
WOW!
IPB Image

I used to make fun of his Fabio style hair but I think he mighta looked better with it.

Times are tight, hope he got good money for his locks from the wiggery.
Aaron Cox
lol2.gif hehe, with the top off, and hair cut, he might beat you in a race, less wind resistance! (if only hiis teener was running)
Brad Roberts
I like the idea of stealing his car and fixing it.

B
Bleyseng
I know someone who has a trailer!!!
This would be a good joke!!!
Geoff
Brad Roberts
Problem is:

We would have to get his garage door open without him or the neighbors hearing it. His bedroom has a window that faces the back yard (which has the garage in it) Then the car would have to be rolled down the driveway out into the street. His driveway runs past the entire length of the house (separate garage behind house)

Let me see if I can get a hold of his roomate. I know his roomate would/should cooperate.

B
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 30 2003, 08:28 AM)
Problem is:

We would have to get his garage door open without him or the neighbors hearing it. His bedroom has a window that faces the back yard (which has the garage in it) Then the car would have to be rolled down the driveway out into the street. His driveway runs past the entire length of the house (separate garage behind house)

Let me see if I can get a hold of his roomate. I know his roomate would/should cooperate.

B

Isn't Dave on some wine & cheese trip to Europe about every third Saturday? It should be easy to find a time when he's not around. Not that I'm advocating anything illegal. However, if he has a roommate who lets you in, and you don't remove the car from the premesis I don't think any chargable crime would have been committed. wink.gif You see, law is just like racing. You don't win by breaking the rules. You win by KNOWING the rules.

-Ben M.
Bleyseng
Would be sweet to drive up to his house and beep the horn and have him come out and see the car after its fixed.

or pick him up at the airport, hehe
Geoff
JRust
I like the Airport idea. Rather classy to pick him up in his nicely running 914 that loves the garage way to much. I can't believe he cut his hair off. I can hardly imagine what it would be like to not have all my hair! blink.gif Oh yeah I'm bald wacko.gif . We should all show our support of Dave by shaving our heads I'm thinking confused24.gif
Bleyseng
Lets just grab him and shave his head so he can belong to the JamieRustClub.

Geoff
Brad Roberts
We cant fix it in his garage. It needs to go on a scope so we can watch the 02 readings and adjust accordingly. The O2 setup he has doesnt respond fast enough and I dont have a 5 wire that I "loan out". The best bet would be to get it on a chassis dyno that we could load at different RPM's. Driving the car around sucks when your trying to tune it (ask the MS guy)

HPH has offered to "spend quality time with the car" Dave just needs me or somebody to trailer the car to them.

B
airsix
I'd have two plans.

Plan A - Get the car to the shop and do it right.
Plan B - Just bring spares and swap out stuff on-site. (see below)

If you do this on-site it's probably because you don't have a lot of time. It's running D-jet. How hard can this be. Show up with a spare ECU, a spare harness, 4 good injectors, a CHT sensor, a TPS, and a spare dizzy. I can't imagine the problem could go beyond that. Remeber, this is a heist, not a research project. We'll call it "Back in 120 seconds", staring 'Clutch MC'. You can drag the swapped parts back to the Bat Cave where you can test them indivudually to determine which one is flaky if you like. The point is get the car running and get out.

-Ben M.

ps - Don't discuss the plans on the internet where the mark can read them. Oops, to late.

pps- This is a "white-hat op". A "black-hat op" would be to install a d-jet Type-IV in his Honda. happy11.gif
Demick
QUOTE(airsix @ May 30 2003, 10:25 AM)
How hard can this be. Show up with a spare ECU, a spare harness, 4 good injectors, a CHT sensor, a TPS, and a spare dizzy.

AFAIK, he has already swapped out all of those parts with known good ones - twice, and in some cases 3 times. He has some sort of flaky, oddball, intermittent problems. Brad has the right idea here to get the d-jet working. Either that, or my original suggestion - carbs.

Demick
Brad Roberts
Yeah.. he has even had the tester on it with me present and nothing fails. The car goes lean.

HUm.. I do think that whoever gets it running will be the "shit" for quite some time after.

B
Jeff Krieger
Shhsh! Keep it down ... he might hear you. biggrin.gif
airsix
QUOTE(Demick @ May 30 2003, 10:36 AM)
AFAIK, he has already swapped out all of those parts with known good ones - twice, and in some cases 3 times. He has some sort of flaky, oddball, intermittent problems. Brad has the right idea here to get the d-jet working. Either that, or my original suggestion - carbs.

Demick

The problem followed a harness change?

-Ben M.

ps - I forgot to mention the MPS.
Bleyseng
It has alot of new parts already so my bet is the MPS with other options the fuel regulater or the fuel pump.
Geoff
Demick
QUOTE(airsix @ May 30 2003, 11:26 AM)

Yes, I believe that he has a new Bowlsby FI harness and that did not solve it.

Demick
airsix
QUOTE(Demick @ May 30 2003, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE(airsix @ May 30 2003, 11:26 AM)

Yes, I believe that he has a new Bowlsby FI harness and that did not solve it.

Demick

Are we sure he had the same problems before getting one of Bowlsby's harnesses? And remember, he admitted to tweaking about with the harness before/durring install (tried some re-crimping, etc.)

-Ben M.
Brad Roberts
Everything fuel pressure related is fine. I ran a long fuel line into the car with a liquid filled VDO gauge and checked it while we where driving down the freeway.

I think he has a rebuilt MPS (and we have tested others in the car)

B
Bleyseng
A rebuilt MPS ? by who? one of those Brett Ins. units with the steel diaphram? yuck!
Get a good one from Jeff Bowlsby or I can make one up.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
He gets all his parts from Pelican (discounted for helping out on the BBS there) So.. whomever they use for rebuilding.

Send me a good one. I have a one 74 2.0 MPS. I havent tested it.

B
Bleyseng
Well, good ones are getting to be like gold but I'll look in the stash. I fought FI problems with Chris Reales car and he was patient and we found him a good used 037 MPS that is now tuned to his car. It really rocks!
Geoff
jonwatts
I don't think you'd need to be so sneaky, just have big b@lls. Do it during the daytime while he's at work. Walk into his place like you're supposed to be there and I bet nobody would call the cops.

I also like the idea of presenting the car to him, with a printed bill for time and materials.
markb
Anybody got a diecast car the same color to leave in it's place? Then he'd never know it was gone. laugh.gif
bernbomb914
with out all that hair he would not miss for a while. He would think he was lightheaded and it would be a bad dream. Go for it!!!

Bernie boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
EdwardBlume
B, I'll have a trailer in 3 weeks..... let's do it!!

I also jave a DD 74 2.0 Olympic Blue 914 look alike we can leave there. Just swap the plates.

Do you know if anyone tried swapping out the distributor cap?? I know it sounds pathetic and simple, but I know a guy that had an 88 911 that at various temps and rpm the engine would go lean or flood randomly. It turned out the distributor cap had a hairline fracture in it that would ground and short out the FI. A new harness and all kinds of replacement FI parts were considered and didn't work as well.

Life's too short to have your 914 on permanent disability.
JeffBowlsby
I've been lurking on this thread long enough...

Yep yep yep to all the previous comments. The perp apparently has swapped all FI parts multiple times, has a new FI harness that he then further tweaked, all to no avail. I have offered to bring either of my 74 2.0s with all known good FI parts to ground zero and swap at random until the problem is isolated, but the perp wouldnt go fer it. Thought of organizing a 'group tech session', same response.

I think conspiring to fix the perps car is a great idea...it shows how highly we regard him, I have toyed with the idea too in the past. I just wouldnt want to do anything that might be insensitive to him in some way. The perp is a decent guy and hes got pride...

Let me know if I can help... cool.gif
Gint
Sounds like an "intervention" unsure.gif would be more appropriate.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Gint @ May 30 2003, 08:09 PM)
Sounds like an "intervention" unsure.gif would be more appropriate.

LOL biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
I know we can hold him down while somebody loads the car on the trailer.

B
Bleyseng
yeah, Samson cut his hair!

Geoff
jonwatts
Actually, remember what Mueller said at the lunch following the SSI swap meet?

Tie him to a chair and prop his eyelids open with toothpicks. Make him watch as his 914 is fixed right before his very eyes!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.