Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best place to buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I don't want to do the combo gauge, but want a oil pressure unit. I was thinking of putting it in the center. Any suggestions on who might have one?
Bruce Hinds
VDO used to make one the same size and has the same colors! I'm not sure if it's still available.
Bruce Hinds
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo-350104/overview/
boxsterfan
agree.gif

Get the dual sender also so that you can have the idiot light. At least idiots like me like idiots lights anyways.
green914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 23 2014, 07:28 AM) *

I don't want to do the combo gauge, but want a oil pressure unit. I was thinking of putting it in the center. Any suggestions on who might have one?

agree.gif I have been thinking about replacing the clock with an oil pressure gauge for awhile.
Thanks, Bruce for posting the link to VDO. smile.gif
yeahmag
Be forewarned that the Type IV idiot light is set at a much lower PSI than the VDO dual pole sender is, so your oil pressure light may be coming on at idle more than usual.

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 23 2014, 08:56 AM) *

agree.gif

Get the dual sender also so that you can have the idiot light. At least idiots like me like idiots lights anyways.

worn
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 23 2014, 08:37 AM) *

Be forewarned that the Type IV idiot light is set at a much lower PSI than the VDO dual pole sender is, so your oil pressure light may be coming on at idle more than usual.

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 23 2014, 08:56 AM) *

agree.gif

Also, while the VDO looks period, I have not found them especially high in quality. I have had one fail outright - stuck at 40 - and the replacement reads about 8 psi low. My solution was to install a T with a direct reading gauge in the engine compartment so I have a basis for comparison. There are other gauges that fit the hole: try ether Summit or Jegs to see the variety. Some of these may be more reliable, but they don't have the same fonts and face that looks right. I am thinking about installing an old VDO gauge that I got on ebay. Have to rebuild the console first.
bdstone914
To my knowledge all the current VDO gauges are 52mm which is smaller than the console gauges which are 65mm.

I have used VDO vintage gauges which have steel cases and glass lenses. They are better quality than the current gauges.

I have the 5 bar and 10 bar with matching senders.

Here are a few of them. Note the clock size compared to the other gauges.

Bruce
Bruce Hinds
I guess they are a bit smaller. Since I'm running water cooling, I made a "T" configuration. Oil pressure and Water Temp on top and then left the volt and clock in place.
Elliot Cannon
I thought VDO also had a collar so their gages would fit a bigger hole. Am I wrong? Also with a little work, VDO gages will fit inside 2" plastic pipe.
yeahmag
They don't quite fit. You can easily adapt them by building up a ring of electrical tape or by fitting them in to a PVC sleeve (easily built from any home improvement store out of PVC pipe).
Bruce Hinds
VDO does sell some rubber gromets - don't know the sizes, but there was a link on the summit racing website above.
914Sixer
Bruce Stone is correct. The current gauges are 52mm and the console gauges are 60mm. There was a conversion ring available at one time. Not sure if they are still available from Pelican. Might also try Egauges.com
Maltese Falcon
Another good source I use for all things VDO is
North Hollywood Speedometer
on Lankershim bl., N.H. Ca.
Including rebuilding, recalibrating, re- facing.
Marty
sportlicherFahrer
I went with Autometer Sport Comps in my car Billy. 2 5/8" slips right in to the factory center console gauge panel. Not sure if you are trying to keep the other ones factory or not though. The electric short sweeps look nice and are usually around $70-80 a piece with senders IIRC... Will need a tee if you want the warning light on the dash unless Autometer has started making any kind of dual post sender. I would look them up on Summit, and then see if you can find a better price locally (Autozone, Baxter, Etc) or on Amazon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.