Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound identifcation help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Car has been running fine. Recently, there is a sound coming from the right side; sounds similar to a brake pad rubbing against a rotor. Appears at cruzing speeds and goes away when the clutch is pressed in; it comes and goes.
Here's what already been done recently: new flywheel, PP, clutch, TO bearing and pilot bearing. Then Dr Evil looked at the tranny and replaced the pinion gears and 2nd gear dog teeth.

The sound is not loud, barely notice it, but it's annoying. Anyone heard this sound ?; sounds just like the brake pad slightly rubbing on the rotor when adjusting.
914_teener
....hmmm....

I have a similar sound and I found out what it was a couple of days ago.

When I did the rear suspension and replaced the trans mounts ... somehow I must have broke one of the motor mounts. When I hit it hard the motor shifts a little and when warm the back of the headers hit the heat shield and valance.....makes kind of a squeaking sounds like a brake pad indicator.

Might have done something similiar?

Check the back end Jim for something rubbing Jim.
914_teener
.......oh nice avatar unsure.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 26 2014, 03:19 PM) *

....hmmm....

When I did the rear suspension and replaced the trans mounts ... somehow I must have broke one of the motor mounts. When I hit it hard the motor shifts a little and when warm the back of the headers hit the heat shield and valance.....makes kind of a squeaking sounds like a brake pad indicator.

I'll take a look tomorrow; did your should go away when the clutch was depressed ?
914_teener
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 26 2014, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 26 2014, 03:19 PM) *

....hmmm....

I'll take a look tomorrow; did your should go away when the clutch was depressed ?

No....clutch didn't affect it. Make sure everything is tight externally.
r_towle
Dust shields?
76-914
There should be 50+ experts to look at it tomorrow, Jim. lol-2.gif
Eric_Shea
Had a similar issue in my 911 when they installed the 915.

Went through two clutches and TO bearings. Finally looked at the install and they crammed the tranny against the body, shoved the rubber boot up the tunnel and basically left everything kinda 1/2 assed and undone. I believe the mount was even on upside down.

Getting all of those things fixed and getting the tranny off the body did the trick. It really is unbelievable how noisy these tranny's can be if they're not isolated properly.

Goes away when the clutch is pressed in is what made me think of this story. Same thing. I swore it was the TO bearing... nope.

In a 914, the tranny is fairly isolated already though so... possibly an issue with your TO bearing or gearstack in general? Is there an RPM associated with it or, as you say, it comes and goes?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 26 2014, 04:32 PM) *

Had a similar issue in my 911 when they installed the 915.

Went through two clutches and TO bearings. Finally looked at the install and they crammed the tranny against the body, shoved the rubber boot up the tunnel and basically left everything kinda 1/2 assed and undone. I believe the mount was even on upside down.

Getting all of those things fixed and getting the tranny off the body did the trick. It really is unbelievable how noisy these tranny's can be if they're not isolated properly.

Goes away when the clutch is pressed in is what made me think of this story. Same thing. I swore it was the TO bearing... nope.

In a 914, the tranny is fairly isolated already though so... possibly an issue with your TO bearing or gearstack in general? Is there an RPM associated with it or, as you say, it comes and goes?

Gear stack was just inspected by Dr Evil; the sound began right after the FW, PP, TO bearing were replaced. I'll have to drive it tomorrow and take note of the RPM situation. Usually most noticed in 4th and 5th
bulitt
Possibly the TO bearing is riding against the clutch fingers. You may have to adjust the linkage.
Eric_Shea
Gear stack was just inspected by Dr Evil

Oh... blink.gif drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.