Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am looking for more opinions on this 2.7 case.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
Gentle Teeners,

I bought a 2.7 running engine that was in a 911, recently pulled, and brought to Hershey for me. As an old used engine, I was expecting to tear it down and inspect everything so I could evaluate it's usefulness as a rebuild engine to base a conversion around.

I got it on the stand and started cleaning and found this 1" cut underneath the cooler mount area. It set me aback.....

There is a cut in the case that looks to be made by a cut off disk. Someone got overly aggressive with an exhaust piece or something and ground into the case.

Click to view attachment

It looks to be about 3/16" deep. I have not measured it yet. It does not enter the case, it is not through the case. For all I know the case could be 1" thick here or it could be nearly through.

My question is, does this ruin the case? It is not near the head stud area, and I have been told it is in a low pressure oil bypass area. I am not sure how thick the case would be there? Could it cause a stress point that would fail in a freshly built engine and start a crack? This is a magnesium case so I would need to know if it could be welded with success as well.

I showed it to the guys at Rich Towles this weekend and we have an opinion, but I would like other engine builders out there to comment before I invest heavily in a conversion around this engine.

Hopefully Jake and others that build engines regularly will see this and give me their opinion.

Thanks
John

r_towle
It may be in your best interest to clean that case much better, and then take some better pics.....
JStroud
I agree, of course I'm on my phone, but I couldn't tell for sure where it is.
What I think is it, isn't clear enough to evaluate.
wndsnd
Yes Sir, I am at it .......
wndsnd

I am cleaning but here is another dirty girl picture:

Click to view attachment

Look under pressure relief valve
wndsnd
Click to view attachment
wndsnd

Last one for now. It looks worse in my shop light than the picture indicates.

Click to view attachment
Woody
I don't really have any way to measure wall thickness at home but this is what you are looking at from the other side. I could bring home a micrometer tomorrow and take a better measurement.

Click to view attachment
Woody
Click to view attachment
Woody
Click to view attachment
r_towle
These guys.

http://services.ramsaywelding.com/item/all...-1004?forward=1
Woody
Yeah but they'll want a bare case most likely.
rdomeck
Before I starting my fabrication/welding business I was a Porsche mechanic for about 3 years. The shop we worked at did all major work on air cooled Porsche's.... Between the two of us we probably built over a hundred engines in that 3 year time period. I would have no problem leaving that case as is and rebuilding it. The case in that area is much thicker than the cut is deep.

Continue on with your rebuild and don't worry about it!
iamchappy
I would put a little JB weld on it for appearance sake and forget about it.
Woody
If I can remember tomorrow, I'll bring home one of my extended reach calipers and try to take a measurement for you on the wall thickness of that galley.
wndsnd
Thanks guys,

I have been cleaning and dissassembling all day. This engine looks good to me. There are no signs of stud pull, it was the mild 2.7 and it did not start in CA so it never had the cats.

I am hoping the consensus is to forget about it.

It looks to be original and the case has not been split. The cam chain covers have been opened though, as there is some silicone gooping out, but the case looks intact and the heads and cylinders look like they have never been touched as well.

We will see where this goes

John
wndsnd
Right side Cam chain tensioner is all the way backed off and loose. The chain has lots of slack.

Click to view attachment

Suprised it did not slip the sprocket.
wndsnd
Compare to the left side.

Click to view attachment
Woody
Oooh that's ugly.
wndsnd
I have some pre buy leak down numbers.

1 8%
6 15%
2 20%
4 8%
3 14%
5 10%

I will work on the tensioners and re-do the leak down and see what I get.

Thanks Woody.

John
r_towle
Jealous....
Gotta get a new motor to build
wndsnd
Go get that 2.7
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 27 2014, 01:13 PM) *

I would put a little JB weld on it for appearance sake and forget about it.

Wise advice.
wndsnd
Went down to a shop in CT that is known for their 2.7 RS Carrera Restorations and show cars.

Hi end place, I didn't think my hobby build 914 conversion plan would interest them.

I am looking for local machinist's to trust the stud case savers too. Do some head work for me etc.

Thought they farmed it out and they do, they use Ollie's in AZ as their goto machine guy,

The do exclusively aircooled Porsche so they have their shop set up to do things to right, but they are in AZ.

Anyway met Scott of Automobile Associates of Canton. And he was a real gentlemen. He offered up is extensive parts inventory for me to save bucks if I would go used. Hell yeah, everything is high $$ to build and modify one of these right.... If he has some pressure fed tennsioners set up used and reasonable, I would do that. I will also be looking for cams, head work, and carburetion. So the visit was worth while.

I have taken the advise to disregard the grind in case and move on.

Started the teardown today, one cylinder leakdown indicated blow by into the case and sure enough I found a broken ring on #3 piston. Mechanical tensioners are coming out and the 911 cams are coming out for a higher lift RS type grind. The pistons are high domed for CIS Swirl affect and will have to be removed for something more suitable to high lift carb cams.

I will be splitting the case and removing the head studs this weekend for case savers.
All the head studs were fine, nothing pulled, so I am at a good place to start this build.
Fun project already. Almost done with the dirty part. Will be cleaning up the shop next to get ready for build mode.

John
sixnotfour
http://exotechpower.com/5601.html
bigkensteele
Looking forward to watching this thread. I recently purchased a 2.7 as well, and I know NOTHING about 911 motors, so I hope you include lots of pictures and details. Any recommendations for research? Mine is a 74, so no thermal reactors, and I am planning on running Megasquirt.

http://bitzracing.com/products/Partial_EFI_KIT/index.html

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.