Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 4CYL Porsche?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
Sorry if this is a re-post, but just came across this. Interesting possibilities, wonder if it will come to the U.S.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140321/O...ter-report-says
r_towle
About time.
RJMII
I like the drop top. :-) up to 395hp?
ClayPerrine
Sounds like an alternative to a Subi conversion for a 914, complete with transmission, and you can still participate at Parade.

idea.gif
boxsterfan
I know the Boxster is essentially the modern 914, but I just want them to produce the 914 again. confused24.gif

A modernized looking 914 (targa top...even a an old fashioned manual one as we have, two seats, two trunks, etc...) is the perfect platform for an e-vehicle (or hybrid). Maybe Porsche will realize that the styling of the 914 is that good!!

Wake me up now...I've been dreaming for decades.
stugray
I will venture a guess:

2.5L Direct & port injection.
4 valve, Variable valve timing, intake & exhaust
And I dont see breaking the 250 HP mark without a .....Turbo

Pretty much a Toybaru FA20 on steroids.
The BRZ/FR-Ss are making north of 350HP with only a bolt-on turbo kit and a tune.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 29 2014, 09:02 AM) *

I know the Boxster is essentially the modern 914, but I just want them to produce the 914 again.

If they made one without the hybrid stuff on it, it would still weigh 3500 lbs. With the hybrid drivetrain? I'd bet over 2 tons. sad.gif

They won't make a 914 again. There isn't enough profit in it. If they can build one that makes enough $$, it will lose just about all of the 914 character.

--DD
MartyYeoman
Sounds like it will be shorter but just as wide as the current Boxter motors.
I bet it still won't fit in a 914 engine bay. hissyfit.gif
914forme
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 29 2014, 08:33 AM) *

Sounds like an alternative to a Subi conversion for a 914, complete with transmission, and you can still participate at Parade.

idea.gif

agree.gif

okay if they bring them over I will av-943.gif if they are a rebadged Subaru engine. Stranger things have happened.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 29 2014, 02:12 PM) *

idea.gif

agree.gif

okay if they bring them over I will av-943.gif if they are a rebadged Subaru engine. Stranger things have happened.

Did you realize that the first Subaru flat 4 was a Type 1 VW engine converted to water cooling? They later converted it to overhead cams, but the crank, rods and pistons would interchange with the VW stuff. The 2.7L Six in the Subaru SVX was a water cooled 911 2.7 engine. They were so close that you could use the subi main and rod bearings in a 911 engine. The crank wouldn't interchange because Subaru redesigned the nose to work with the timing belt.

So a rebadged Subaru motor would be kind of appropriate.

wobbletop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 29 2014, 03:21 PM) *

Did you realize that the first Subaru flat 4 was a Type 1 VW engine converted to water cooling? They later converted it to overhead cams, but the crank, rods and pistons would interchange with the VW stuff. The 2.7L Six in the Subaru SVX was a water cooled 911 2.7 engine. They were so close that you could use the subi main and rod bearings in a 911 engine. The crank wouldn't interchange because Subaru redesigned the nose to work with the timing belt.

Do you have any links to back up that history?

How do you convert an aircooled engine to water cooling? And the SVX was always 3.3L.

Qarl
I'd love some more info on this new engine.

wndsnd
Funny,

I met a guy driving a Boxter on the ferry to Long Island a few weeks ago and we talked about 356 prices, early 911's, 914's etc. He said ...

"I always thought I would like an outlaw 356, but I would never own a 4 cylinder car."

Maybe he would change his mind driving a 395 hp flat four......

John
Jon H.
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 29 2014, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 29 2014, 02:12 PM) *

idea.gif

agree.gif

The SVX's had EG33 (3.3l) motors which were the same as the EJ22 with two more cylinders. EJ22 pistons interchange with the EG33's.
Tom
Well, the 919 engine, (it's a V4) , is a two liter turbo with 500HP. Probably not as wide as the flat four so maybe it will fit a 914. LOL!! I am sure it would be six figures or more for the engine. If Porsche is getting 500HP out of the V4, don't see why they couldn't get 395 from the flat four for the street.
Sure would like to see some pictures of the new flat four.
Tom
Qarl
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 29 2014, 12:02 PM) *

I know the Boxster is essentially the modern 914

I disagree

Its actually a modern 550 Spyder. That was the inspiration, for the prototype

Boxster = convertible
914 = Targa

Big difference IMHO
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 30 2014, 08:53 AM) *

Its actually a modern 550 Spyder. That was the inspiration, for the prototype

Boxster = convertible
914 = Targa

Big difference IMHO

agree.gif
& cayman = 916
Chris H.
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Apr 29 2014, 04:18 PM) *

How do you convert an aircooled engine to water cooling? And the SVX was always 3.3L.

He means the Subaru XT I think. This beauty right here:

Click to view attachment

Came with a 2.7L 6 as an option.

Never heard the parts were interchangeable, but Subaru engines are certainly an excellent copy of VW and Porsche flat 4 and 6 engines. If you look at a Type 4 engine and a Subie 4 they are remarkably similar. Subaru started making theirs right about the time VW moved towards water-cooled inline 4's. The Vanagon used an engine that was converted from air cooled to water cooled IIRC.
Qarl
Maybe some more clues???

It's not a boxer-four, but they are stuffing a VW motor in the Macan.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/porsche...ampaign=ongoing

We said it would happen, and it's happened even sooner than we expected: Porsche has dropped a four-cylinder engine into its Macan SUV.

Specifically, it's a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo, closely related to the engine found in the Golf GTI ‘Performance Pack' and sending 233bhp and 258lb ft of torque to the wheels through Porsche's seven-speed ‘PDK' gearbox.
dlkawashima
Coming in 2016 ... maybe

http://www.automobilemag.com/new_and_futur.../?__federated=1
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 30 2014, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(wobbletop @ Apr 29 2014, 04:18 PM) *

He means the Subaru XT I think. This beauty right here:

Click to view attachment

Came with a 2.7L 6 as an option.

Never heard the parts were interchangeable, but Subaru engines are certainly an excellent copy of VW and Porsche flat 4 and 6 engines. If you look at a Type 4 engine and a Subie 4 they are remarkably similar. Subaru started making theirs right about the time VW moved towards water-cooled inline 4's. The Vanagon used an engine that was converted from air cooled to water cooled IIRC.

It was the XT... I was doing it from memory.

And the bearings in the Suby XT engine will interchange with an 911 engine. My boss at one shop tried to get me to use subi bearings in a 911 engine so he could make more profit on the rebuild. I said no, and found another job shortly thereafter.

Oh.. and the Wasserboxer motor sucked. All of the weaknesses of the air cooled motors, and they were always blowing the seal out between the heads and the water jacket. Not a blown head gasket, so they ran fine, just poured water.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.