Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess it had to happen someday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Pat Garvey
I'm not posting this for sympathy. I'm not posting this to be a drama queen. I mearly want interested people to know why I've not posted much of late.

Six weeks ago I had a stroke. Last week I had a mild heart attack. Seven weeks ago I took a Centrum each day. Now I take 8 additional meds. Should have never retired!

Don't know that I'll ever be right again, nor get on with my 914. May sell it.

When/if I improve I'll return. For the foreseeable future I'll mostle be silent.

Took 20 miutes to put this short txt together. Pardon the errors.
Later, I hope.
Pat
mepstein
Pat - I hope your health improves. Anytime you want to take a drive in a 914, let me know and I'll drive my '71 up your way. It's not perfect but ill hand you the keys when you feel up to it. Mark
Bob L.
Well SHIT! Sorry to hear it. Best to you.
r_towle
Hang tight, many recover, many live long and happy lives afterwards.

Don't sell unless you must...
MartyYeoman
sad.gif
wndsnd
Pat,

It's too soon. Give the meds time to do their work and for your body to build up some strength.

Then for Pete's sake take that beautiful car out of the garage and drive it!

I will PM you

John
iamchappy
Pat so sorry to hear this, give it some time you'll feel better and be better.
bembry
Sorry to hear it, Pat. I always enjoy your car posts. Hang in there!
TJB/914
Pat,
I never met you in person, but really know you as a friend & 914 buddy. pray.gif
We are a lot alike. beerchug.gif The message you made about retirement is why I am still working & will die in the harness like an old work horse. sad.gif Stay tough.
You will be in my daily prayers.
Tom
jim_hoyland
Pat,

Hang in there and get well. The rehab regimes that you will be doing will not only bring you back, but you'll feel 30 years younger.
orthobiz
Devastating news. Get well soon! Hopefully your hands and feet still work...Fritz just GOTTA get back on the road!!

Paul
Garland
Wishing you improved health. smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Get well Pat. We wish you all the best. Take time and heal. We will be around whenever you wanna stop in.

Zach
worn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 28 2014, 05:26 PM) *

I'm not posting this for sympathy. I'm not posting this to be a drama queen. I mearly want interested people to know why I've not posted much of late.

Six weeks ago I had a stroke. Last week I had a mild heart attack. Seven weeks ago I took a Centrum each day. Now I take 8 additional meds.
Later, I hope.
Pat

You owned what turned my head in high school. And you had the sense to keep it, as few did. Whatever may come, good for you for being the right person at the right time. Well done! Meds might help or not, but so many have recovered that hope seems realistic. Best wishes. This is what scares a lot of us on the board. So we count our minutes and moments.
bulitt
I agree about letting the meds work. Takes a while to get the correct dosage for thinners and the the statins working. Wishing you the best!!!
struckn
Pat, that sucks......but it's only been a week after your attack and things seem worst just after the storm.

Take time to recover, never give up and look towards the coming Summer when we leave the terrible Winter behind us.

Your recovery will come in time. Take time to let it happen.

Every one here is pulling for you, and standing by.

Doug
BuddyV
Pat -

Seems you are a loved man in this community...... despite your current health issues, you are a very lucky man!

Cheers, brother. drunk.gif

Robert
Cairo94507
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery Pat. This place would be less with out you.
Johny Blackstain
Get well soon Pat, O&H misses you. smile.gif
rick 918-S
Your outlook is everything. Set goals, listen to your doctors, smile at your wife, follow the med regime to the letter. My dad had his first at 38 yrs and lived an out of control life style for another 11 yrs. I think he would still be here if he would have put any kind of effort in taking care of himself. There have been some wonderful advances in medicine.
JStroud
Pat, don't give up, my dad was diagnosed with cancer two years ago, they said he'd be lucky to survive the operation....he did, they said he might not recover....he did and feels even better today then before the diagnose. He has a boat in Santa Cruz harbor, when he was first diagnosed he wanted to sell it, thought he would never fish again, talked him out of it, after the operation he wanted to sell again, convinced he'd never fish again, talked him out of it, this year, feeling better, takes the boat out at least twice a week, caught a 39lb salmon last week, think he's glad he kept it.

Don't give up.....lots of people pulling for you.

Jeff
Mikey914
Pat
Wish you the best, hope you have a full recovery. Keep your chin up.

Mark
sbsix
Pat your posted knowledge of our cars is just about the best thing on this great board. Keep your spirits up and take it day by day for right now. Things will improve and your vigor will return. My dad had a stroke 6 months after he retired and he not only recovered but lived a very long, full life afterwards. Rehab can be hard but you seem to be more than able to conquer adversity. We're all with you in spirit.
PanelBilly
Thanks for keeping us part of your life and I'm wishing that you find the strength to overcome this challenge.

Love from another of your brothers

Billy
mrgreenjeans
Pat,

I was hoping to see you at Parade last year in Traverse City. Met Tom, Eric, and Orthobiz and wished I could have seen you there also.......so, we WILL see you again at Parade ..... maybe at French Lick. Heck. I will even drive down your way and bring you over.

I wish you all the best. 3 years ago this month I was steps away from death and made it back. Spent a long time in the hospital. Recovery was slow, but progressive.
So there IS hope ; there is ALWAYS Hope .

Just know we are all pulling for your very best. REALLY.

And we look forward to reading more educated and interesting posts from one of the 'guard'.
Not Old Guard.
Just the 'Guard'

Take care, our friend.
We want you around to keep us inspired.
Valy
I wish you'll feel better everyday.
JRust
Pat I have not had the pleasure of meeting you in person. I feel I know you from the world though. Keep your chin up. Don't overdue it & as others have said let the meds do their work. You'll be back in your 914 at some point. beerchug.gif To recovery my friend
Maltese Falcon
Pat, get strong + stay strong and keep on your rehabilitation regime...you are one of the lucky ones.
Stay in the know with your meds + dosing. We are here for you !
Marty
saigon71
Pat:

I'm sorry to hear this news. Hang in there and don't make any quick decisions with your 914...it's still early in your recovery.

My best wishes to you and your family for a speedy and full recovery.

Best Regards,

Bob
TheCabinetmaker
Keep the faith Pat. There are some here who have experienced what you are going thru. I'm one of them. Quadruple bypass 6 years ago. I have one coratid artery completely blocked, and a stent in the other, and another stent in one of my femoral arteries. I take 13 pills a day to keep everything working properly. At first I was concerned with quality of life, but God answered my prayers and life is great.

There is hope. Always have faith. My prayers are with you.
914forme
Pat, hopefully this is a few minor bumps in the road. Keep your head up, set small goals to improve everyday, don't look at the set backs, look at it as a push forward. Retirement is the time when most of this crap happens. We where built to be active, to move, start moving stay moving, find things to keep you moving, and keep you mind active.

You moved out of the region before I got a chance to meet you. Take care, learn all you can about what you are fighting, and in that education you will find the strength to beat this stuff.
plas76targa
Pat, Get well soon! and take a daily walk! Wishing you the best!
CptTripps
That sounds like a real shit-sandwitch. I'm so sorry Pat. Hang in there.
anderssj
Best wishes for health and happiness.

Steve A-

I'll let you know if I find a rain tray . . . .
pcar916
Get well and know we're with you in spirit! My Mom had a stroke a couple of years ago and has recovered from it. It took her faith and meds a year to make steady progress.

Keep those neurons firing!

~Ron
scotty b
Sorry to hear about this Pat. As others have said, we are here for you anytime you need. smile.gif
76-914
That is a tough break but your a tough guy and will bounce back. Pat, I've been "under the knife" many times and I always feel this "gloom and doom" after surgery. Maybe it's normal. Who knows? But it will pass as you get moving again. Hang in there. We ain't finished with you yet!
Krieger
Hang in there Pat! Give it some time!
Ferg
Hang in there Pat!
ThePaintedMan
Hey Pat,
Same story as others - my dad had a heart attack at 35 and a triple bypass later that year, followed by a mitral valve repair about five years later. Though it slowed him some, I'm thankful that he's still around having fun and enjoying life after recovering well. Keep your chin up and try to hold on to those things that make you happy - your car, but more importantly family and friends. We're here for you bud.
worn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 28 2014, 05:26 PM) *

Six weeks ago I had a stroke. Last week I had a mild heart attack. Seven weeks ago I took a Centrum each day. Now I take 8 additional meds. Should have never retired!

Don't know that I'll ever be right again, nor get on with my 914. May sell it.

When/if I improve I'll return. For the foreseeable future I'll mostle be silent.

Took 20 miutes to put this short txt together. Pardon the errors.
Later, I hope.
Pat

Hi Pat,
My Dad had his first heart attack and stroke almost a year apart. That was more than 20 years ago. He is 90 now and lives in his own house with his girl friend who is about my age. I go to visit him next week. He drives a stick shift Fiesta. Last year he agreed to only drive to two specific places. He figured on dying at 40 or so. Compromise: sell all the junk pieces you will never need. I have had the thought from time to time of actually *shudder* hiring someone to work on my cars.
Best wishes,
Warren
Tom
Pat,
Hope your recovery if full and timely. As others have said, keep your chin up and stay on the meds. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Tom
MrKona
Hang in there Pat. Hope you improve steadily and continue to impart your knowledge to to the board.
rgolia
Pat,
I knew something was up. So sorry to hear about the second episode. You will get better and we will meet-up, drive the teeners and drink some wine. You know I am located very close to you so if there is anything I can help with teener or otherwise related, please contact me.

As soon as my teener is on the road I will drive a bottle of my homemade cab your way.....that will cheer you up!
KELTY360
Say it ain't so Pat. A tough old bird like you can't go quietly. We need our drama around here...dontcha know.

Like others have said; do what the docs say, keep moving, take your meds and don't let the tough days keep you down. We're family here and we luv ya man. slap.gif grouphug.gif
Cupomeat
I agree with all the others, Don't give up, give yourself time and don't sell that 914.

Keep reading this forum and we look forward to your next post!
gms
Pat,
Best of luck to you on your recovery. I would not sell anything, you are just going through a rough patch...the car will give you much joy when you recover.
zymurgist
Sorry to hear about your health, Pat. As other posters said, give the meds time to do their work.
dcheek
Pat,

Like many others, I've never met you in person but, through this forum, I feel like we have been lifelong "car buddies". Our kinship regarding original ownership has only strengthened that bond.

Like most difficult tasks in life, overcoming them requires 50% physical ability and 50% mental fortitude. How else can you explain the insane amount of time spent detailing your 914 to the level it is? Your impending recovery will require much of the same 50/50 technique. There is no doubt in my mind that your outcome will be on par with your concours prowess.

I think I can speak on behalf of all the World members to wish you well and look forward to your speedy recovery.

Dave

ben*james
Pat, recover. In our prayers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.