Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firewall holes....?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
IPB Image

I cant remember if these holes are used for anything or if I can weld them up?

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(falcor75 @ May 1 2014, 06:59 AM) *

IPB Image

I cant remember if these holes are used for anything or if I can weld them up?

If I remember correctly that is where the plastic "pin" goes thru to hold the sound pad in the engine bay area.
Chris H.
Correct sir. Keeps that big heavy pad from sagging in the engine bay. You can weld them up if you're not going to use a pad or if they wouldn't be useful for something else.
arkitect
It looks like the stock tar mat is still on the floors. Don't know if you are aware that they often hide rust under it. Good idea to strip the floors on both the driver and passenger side of the tunnel.

Dave
gms
I would weld up the holes and use dynamat or equivalent sound deadening instead of factory pad...on the floor too
falcor75
Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and weld them up then as I wont be using the soundmat in the engine bay. This is an old picture so the floors have long since been cleaned up and de-rusted. smile.gif
mramber
I am in the same place. forgive me if this sounds dumb but I'm somewhat new to welding. When you say weld them up, what is the best way to do this without blowing a bigger hole? I'm using a MIG welder and I have been practicing. Do you put some "backing" metal on the inside and weld from the engine compartment, then grind and smooth in the engine compartment for a nice finish (which is what I want to try)? Can a good welder start at an edge and fill the hole without burning through and making it bigger? Maybe I should drill some holes in sheet metal and practice welding them shut... welder.gif
arkitect
QUOTE(mramber @ May 1 2014, 05:40 PM) *

I am in the same place. forgive me if this sounds dumb but I'm somewhat new to welding. When you say weld them up, what is the best way to do this without blowing a bigger hole? I'm using a MIG welder and I have been practicing. Do you put some "backing" metal on the inside and weld from the engine compartment, then grind and smooth in the engine compartment for a nice finish (which is what I want to try)? Can a good welder start at an edge and fill the hole without burning through and making it bigger? Maybe I should drill some holes in sheet metal and practice welding them shut... welder.gif

With a length of copper piping, bend over end and flatten. Have a helper hold it from the engine side to use as a backing. The welding won't attach to the copper.

Dave biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.