Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Copper Exhaust Gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74914LE
Decided to switch to Stainless Steel Heat Exchangers, and am in the process of
removing the old copper exhaust gaskets. A couple of them are not interested in coming out. Any magic ideas to try to get these things out? Any special tool to buy to get the job done?

Thanks in advance!
r_towle
use a small nail set or punch.
Hit the gasket on the middle of the long sides....if done properly, it wil bend the gasket slightly on the end.
Then hook it with a hook or screw driver.

Rich
jmalone
Try a small pick. Usually available as part of a set at Harbor Freight or FLAPs.
TheCabinetmaker
I made a hook from an old screwdriver. I've also had to use a straight screwdriver and a hammer. Hammer the screwdriver(gently) between the copper gasket and head,.Then turn the screwdriver.then you can get ahold of the copper with some pliers.
wndsnd
I agree with Rich. I use a small chisel and whack it in the middle. The soft copper gives and usually pops up enough to get a pick or screwdriver under it.

John
914_teener
QUOTE(jmalone @ May 4 2014, 02:31 PM) *

Try a small pick. Usually available as part of a set at Harbor Freight or FLAPs.

agree.gif+1

This is the tool to use...HF makes a set of them.
VaccaRabite
I usually just use a thin, flat blade screwdriver. It does not take much to get them started, and once they move even a little bit they come out pretty easy.

A dental pick from HF would work too.

Zach
Gearhead1432
Just don't do what I did and cut straight through the gasket with a small chisel subsequently gouging the head.
HAM Inc
QUOTE(Gearhead1432 @ May 5 2014, 11:52 PM) *

Just don't do what I did and cut straight through the gasket with a small chisel subsequently gouging the head.

Over the years I've seen countless heads damaged in this way. If the copper gasket is not grooved or otherwise damaged leave it in.
If you do want to take a whack at it with a chisel hit the outboard side, not the long side that's closest to the center of the head. The flange there is not backed up by much material and there is a high chance it will chip the head. Do that and an ex leak is guaranteed til you remove the head and weld it up.
reharvey
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ May 6 2014, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Gearhead1432 @ May 5 2014, 11:52 PM) *

Over the years I've seen countless heads damaged in this way. If the copper gasket is not grooved or otherwise damaged leave it in.
If you do want to take a whack at it with a chisel hit the outboard side, not the long side that's closest to the center of the head. The flange there is not backed up by much material and there is a high chance it will chip the head. Do that and an ex leak is guaranteed til you remove the head and weld it up.

agree.gif I have a dozen heads sitting in my garage and half of them have the type of exhaust port damage mentioned here. Be careful when removing that copper ring!
914Mels
There is a tool called a ladies foot, it's a small pry bar with a quarter moon end on it. The smaller versions fit right into the exaust port and you can easily pry the ring out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.