Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory built 914-6 turbo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Anyone else read the article in the current Panorama where Valentin Schäffer mentions that Porsche had him (secretly) build two turbo cars in 1970, one 911 and one 914-6?

I wonder what ever happened to that car and if anyone out there has some more info on it ...
idea.gif
JmuRiz
I saw that too, never heard about it before...a test mule for the 930. That would be an insanely cool car!
If they still have it, it must be in their annex building.
stugray
My guess is that the 914-6 put the 911 to shame and they had it destroyed before anyone found out...
Madswede
QUOTE(stugray @ May 8 2014, 03:17 PM) *

My guess is that the 914-6 put the 911 to shame and they had it destroyed before anyone found out...

agree.gif
damesandhotrods
If Porsche already had two turbo test mules in 1970, then I am rather shocked that Donohue had to spend so much time on the 917/10’s turbos.
SirAndy
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ May 8 2014, 02:57 PM) *

If Porsche already had two turbo test mules in 1970, then I am rather shocked that Donohue had to spend so much time on the 917/10’s turbos.

According to the article, the initial interest and reason for using the 911 and 914-6 as test mules was that Porsche was getting their asses kicked locally by BMW's 2002 turbo cars.

Apparently, they used this initial research as the platform for their later turbo engines.
This sounds like there could be an interesting story in there somewhere ...
idea.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(stugray @ May 8 2014, 01:17 PM) *

And now we can all assume it was Porsche themselves that first said "you can't turbo a 914" laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 8 2014, 03:20 PM) *
And now we can all assume it was Porsche themselves that first said "you can't turbo a 914" laugh.gif

Actually, what they really said was:

"You can't turbo a 914! But we can ..."
popcorn[1].gif
JmuRiz
They found the TAG F1 engine'd 930 right? I'm guessing someone might 'find' this turbo 914.
Chappy, is this what gave you the motivation on your car?
iamchappy
This is the first time I've heard about Porsche building a turbo 914, my motivation was why they hadn't done it... So I did, and am very happy I did..
iamchappy
I would love to see how they did it.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 8 2014, 03:09 PM) *
Apparently, they used this initial research as the platform for their later turbo engines.
This sounds like there could be an interesting story in there somewhere ...
idea.gif

Yep! Unfortunately, no art, drawings, photos, etc. exist to go with this. I'll look into it further when I'm next in Germany, since this is unusual, but already requested the obvious from the obvious players. Was super bummed there was not something more...as I was fascinated by Schaffer's recollection...

Hope you're well, Andy!

pete
get off my lawn
Secret spy photo of prototype turbo system>

carr914
I'll send an eMail off to Jurgen Barth and see what he knows
ottox914
What? You CAN turbo a 914? i'd LOVE to learn more about this. Pics would be amazing-
GregAmy
QUOTE(ottox914 @ May 14 2014, 09:37 PM) *

What? You CAN turbo a 914?

Anything CAN be turbocharged...and if you need more space, cut out the rear trunk, a la Lotus Europa, and stiffen it with a few strategically-placed tubes.
Dave_Darling
Sorry, Greg, you've just run into a long-standing joke in the 914 world...

--DD
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 15 2014, 09:10 AM) *

--DD

agree.gif Greg, it's a standing joke around here whenever anyone brings up the conversation someone will always post: " You can't turbo a 914" It has been done successfully for years with kits available in the late 70's I think. But Chappy took his car to a whole new level with a twin plug 6 that will make guys like us look 16 again when he hits the loud peddle. yikes.gif all the wrinkles go right to the back of our heads.
Woody
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 15 2014, 09:10 AM) *

--DD

rolleyes.gif
iamchappy
Ric your funny biggrin.gif

Here are pictures of my turbo for those of you that haven't followed my build from the past.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.