Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Struggling to get into second from third
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
Help please guys -

1973 914 is really difficult to downshift from third to second when warm - seems to be far easier when cold, but after a run it gets much harder, feels like the clutch isn't engaging properly..

Clutch or bushing problem do you think? Is the clutch adjustable? I don't think that my cable tube has broken..
Porschef
You might have meant disengaging?? Well, as long as an amp/speaker/port/wire harness isn't interfering, shades.gif a clutch adjustment is the first thing to check. The cable may be stretching; check pedal free play when cold and see if it increases when warm/hot. Start there.

Doesn't sound like a moving tube if the issue goes away every time it cools down...
Rod
Haha. Nothing audio related interfering!! driving.gif yes I did mean disengaging as you point out!.. Ok I'll start with looking at the clutch cable - is there an adjustment guide in forum??
orthobiz
There's a special Delrin nut on the clutch cable and I have poor luck with it over the years, I adjust the clutch now and then when it's more reluctant to disengage. I've double nutted it in the past and always put a fresh nut on any new cable. But I think I've experienced what you're talking about: it's like it wants to hold onto third gear and not let you out of it, right?

Also, if I'm downshifting from third into second I often double clutch out of habit from all the cars I've owned in the 70's. Once you've ever had an Alfa you get quite good at it and it's become second nature.

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
Heat could raise clutch issues if there's some contamination (i.e., gear oil) on the disc. I might be inclined to look at the 2nd gear synchro if the clutch is OK. BTW, older Alfas used Porsche style synchros, and they're notorious for failing. BTDT with a GTV. As for downshifting as an aid for slowing down, remember that brakes are cheaper than trannys.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.