Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil filler cap gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
era vulgaris
On a 1.7 d-jet, is there supposed to be any sort of cork gasket or rubber seal on the filler cap itself? My car doesn't have one and I think it could be the cause of my high idle issue.

If so, does anyone have a part number for it?
Is this it? Model year/FI system isn't specified so I thought I'd ask.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC..._pg4.htm#item17

Also, I don't have these two seals: numbers 1 and 8 in the pic. Does anyone have a part number for these?
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=114-05
TheCabinetmaker
No gasket on a 1.7. Only a 1.8 with ljet.

It won't make a 1.7 high idle. A vacuum leak will.
era vulgaris
Trust me, I've been through the gamut of every tiny aspect that could be causing my high idle. I've documented it in another thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=233517

I'm down to the nitty gritty last details of where the vacuum leak could be coming from. Basically I discovered that when I disconnect the pcv-to-plenum hose and plug the plenum port, my idle drops to where I can adjust it within spec. With the pcv-to-plenum hose attached, my idle is at 1200 with the adjustment screw closed.

Any ideas about the #1 and 8 seals on the parts diagram?
era vulgaris
delete post...it posted double for some reason
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 12 2014, 05:26 PM) *

No gasket on a 1.7. Only a 1.8 with ljet.

It won't make a 1.7 high idle. A vacuum leak will.

Agree on both!
aktion035.gif
era vulgaris
Right.
But is the manifold vacuum not also pulling gases from the crankcase through the pcv valve? So wouldn't an air leak around the oil filler act as a vacuum leak when the pcv valve is open, since it would be sucking outside air in through the leaks in the oil filler?
And wouldn't that be why my idle comes within spec when I disconnect the pcv-to-plenum hose?
That's the point I'm trying to understand.

Also, anyone have info or sources for the #1 and 8 seals on that parts diagram?
TheCabinetmaker
#1 is an o ring seal from filler funnel to the base. #8 is the seal for the pcv valve.
bdstone914
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 12 2014, 06:13 PM) *

Right.
But is the manifold vacuum not also pulling gases from the crankcase through the pcv valve? So wouldn't an air leak around the oil filler act as a vacuum leak when the pcv valve is open, since it would be sucking outside air in through the leaks in the oil filler?
And wouldn't that be why my idle comes within spec when I disconnect the pcv-to-plenum hose?
That's the point I'm trying to understand.

Also, anyone have info or sources for the #1 and 8 seals on that parts diagram?

The connection from the oil filter breather should go to the air filter from the hose diagram I looked at. The only vacuum connections I saw from the plenum were for the MPS and vacuum pot on the distributor. Can you show us what connection on the plenum the pic valve is connected?

Edit: I was wrong. Looks like the pvc hose does go to the plenum. Could the pcv valve be stuck open? Again some pictures would help.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 12 2014, 10:21 PM) *

#1 is an o ring seal from filler funnel to the base. #8 is the seal for the pcv valve.

Right. I know what they do. I'm looking for part numbers or sources so I can replace them.

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 12 2014, 11:21 PM) *

The connection from the oil filter breather should go to the air filter from the hose diagram I looked at. The only vacuum connections I saw from the plenum were for the MPS and vacuum pot on the distributor. Can you show us what connection on the plenum the pic valve is connected?

Edit: I was wrong. Looks like the pvc hose does go to the plenum. Could the pcv valve be stuck open? Again some pictures would help.

Yes you're correct, on the earlier cars it goes to the plenum. My pcv valve closes completely as far as I can tell. I'm not sure of an official test. But I removed it, filled it with water, and none of the water leaked out of it. So I'm assuming it closes completely since it's at least water-tight. That's why I'm looking for potential leaks in the seals around the oil filler, because clearly the vacuum leak I'm experiencing is somewhere in the engine case, and not in the intake.
bulitt
You may want to just plumb it into the air filter box and be done with it!
era vulgaris
The problem is that I've only got 2 ports on the air cleaner: one goes to the flashback valve, and the other goes to the charcoal canister.
I wonder if I could find some sort of T-fitting for those larger hoses.

I guess I can disconnect the charcoal canister hose for now and see how the car does with the pcv valve connected to the air cleaner, while I figure out a way to T those hoses.

I really wanted to make it work the way it's supposed to be, but I guess sometimes "what works" and "the way it's supposed to be" aren't always the same thing!
bdstone914
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 13 2014, 11:06 AM) *

The problem is that I've only got 2 ports on the air cleaner: one goes to the flashback valve, and the other goes to the charcoal canister.
I wonder if I could find some sort of T-fitting for those larger hoses.

I guess I can disconnect the charcoal canister hose for now and see how the car does with the pcv valve connected to the air cleaner, while I figure out a way to T those hoses.

I really wanted to make it work the way it's supposed to be, but I guess sometimes "what works" and "the way it's supposed to be" aren't always the same thing!

Part numbers for seals 1 & 8 are 021 115 137 and 021 115 475.
Bruce
era vulgaris
Thanks, Bruce! You rock! aktion035.gif
rhodyguy
how about the condition of the cork gasket under the oil fill base? take a section of hose, put it on the pvc valve and try to blow into and suck back on the hose. you should not be able to blow back thru the valve.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 14 2014, 01:56 PM) *

how about the condition of the cork gasket under the oil fill base? take a section of hose, put it on the pvc valve and try to blow into and suck back on the hose. you should not be able to blow back thru the valve.

If you read through the other thread I linked to you'll see I've replaced just about everything that can be replaced, cork filler base gasket included. That's why I'm down to these hard to find gaskets and seals. Just trying to rule everything out.

I guess I'll try blowing the valve. What the hell, this car's already kinda fucking me anyway. Hehehe. wacko.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.