Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tuna Can or Deep Sump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmalone
I am wondering whether to add a tuna can to my stock 2.0. Is it a prudent upgrade? Also I don't see a lot of deep sumps used by members, is there some reason that the Tuna Can solution is preferred?

(As a retired commercial tuna fisherman, I prefer my tuna in water anyway, not in 10/40)
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jmalone @ May 14 2014, 01:19 PM) *

I am wondering whether to add a tuna can to my stock 2.0. Is it a prudent upgrade? Also I don't see a lot of deep sumps used by members, is there some reason that the Tuna Can solution is preferred?

(As a retired commercial tuna fisherman, I prefer my tuna in water anyway, not in 10/40)

I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of a "deep sump" other than the Tuna can. There's really no way to fasten one to the bottom of the engine. Considering the existing ground clearance with the suspension loaded, extending the sump, even with a tuna can, is a bit unnerving.

The Cap'n
Elliot Cannon
Unless you're racing or auto crossing, I wouldn't bother.
Blm94
I purchased my deep sump from FAT Performance. I built a skid plate to protect it. I only race it. No issues. I also run an accusump.Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
Looks nice under there. Skid plate =good idea. biggrin.gif
URY914
I have a Type-IV deep sump but run a tuna can on my car.
Tuna cans are or were made of both aluminum and steel. I have both but run the aluminum one.
URY914

[/quote]

I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of a "deep sump" other than the Tuna can. There's really no way to fasten one to the bottom of the engine. Considering the existing ground clearance with the suspension loaded, extending the sump, even with a tuna can, is a bit unnerving.

The Cap'n
[/quote]

You are wrong on this one. I have one. It bolts on.

The Cap'n wrong? Wow, who knew? confused24.gif
vw505
QUOTE(Blm94 @ May 14 2014, 05:08 PM) *

I purchased my deep sump from FAT Performance. I built a skid plate to protect it. I only race it. No issues. I also run an accusump.Click to view attachment

What header is that?
vw505
I have a deep sump on mine, I end up with 5QT's of oil in the system.
GaroldShaffer
I have a tuna can on mine. My car is used for both street & autocrossing.
Randal
And a tuna can can be used for something more important!

Click to view attachment
vw505
Turbo return line.....
1stworks
QUOTE(Randal @ May 15 2014, 08:57 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Sick!
brant

boy the webbing on the case that the stock strainer/tuna can uses for attatchment doesn't seem strong enough for this idea...

a lot of leverage is added to your can with that small line
vibration isn't going to be a friend of that engineering

brant
brant
QUOTE(jmalone @ May 14 2014, 02:19 PM) *

on my old race car, we added a 2nd oil warning light with a 15psi warning threshold, instead of stock 3psi light in the dash

its really pretty amazing to see how frequently the type 4 motor is below 15pounds of pressure in the corners....

and remember this was a race car with a high output, high pressure oiling system that was always over 100psi cold, and always running 30-50psi on the oil pressure gauge when hot... not a low rpm engine, not a tired engine with bad pressure.

so having said all of that
I run tuna can's on my street cars
I think that the stock motor design does not have adequate pick up, for modern tires and modern G forces....

perfectly adequate for micheline xzx 165 series tires!
Cap'n Krusty
I would be interested in seeing exactly how the deep sump unit is secured to the case. On T1s and 356/912 engines, there are 6 and 10 bolts, respectively, to mount it to the case. There is no such provision on the T4. As for that "skid plate", I see no structural integrity whatsoever, it appears to be nothing more than eye candy; my eyes are old, but it looks like one glancing blow and it's gone, along with whatever it's bolted to.

The Cap'n
Bills914-4
Here you go Cap'n , this is a new one for my future twin plug smile.gif , I've modified mine
by milling an angle on the riser that sits in the step of the case so that it mounts more
flush to bottom of the motor smile.gif , Bill D.

here is pic of my old one mounted
Click to view attachment

here's pic's of the new one
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I've always thought the deep sump fit, the way it hangs down, sucks.

I also don't like that turbo oil return line, hot foamy oil going straight to the pick-up, the engine won't live long.
I would have run it to the taco plate or machined the bus oil fill or pump boss.
Cap'n Krusty
Thanks for the picture. Is it difficult to fit that bracket between the case and the oil pickup. I don't remember how much clearance there is, but I think it's not much. All things considered, I don't think I'd use one of those.

The Cap'n
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ May 15 2014, 09:52 AM) *

boy the webbing on the case that the stock strainer/tuna can uses for attatchment doesn't seem strong enough for this idea...

a lot of leverage is added to your can with that small line
vibration isn't going to be a friend of that engineering

brant

There is a lot more engineering you can't see. smile.gif

Blm94
QUOTE(vw505 @ May 15 2014, 06:39 AM) *

What header is that?

Built by Greg @ FAT Performance. First one. They have the jigs to build them now. I have really enjoyed working with them on the engine build and the headers.
Randal

Lots of nice work under there!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.