Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil pressure relief, oil cooler, and accusump interaction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
ChrisFoley
I have an interesting anecdotal data point to add to the oil temperature discussion.
Over the weekend I was speaking with a 914 race car owner in PA who added a deep sump to his 2270 engine after a recent engine rebuild.
He claims the deep sump radiates enough heat that he barely gets to 220F oil temp now, whereas before, it often crept up past 230 on hot days.
Seabird
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 25 2014, 06:20 AM) *

I may not belong in this conversation since I'm not an engineer, but this is my understanding of the challenges of aircooled engines. Please kick me out if I'm over my head. biggrin.gif

No your on point. I am a stubborn one though headbang.gif

There is a certain amount of energy being transferred into the oil from friction and heat. Then their is a certain amount of energy being transferred out of the oil through heat when it passes the cooler. It is possible that the cooler's ability to transfer heat out is less then what is being generated by our engines.

If someone wanted to they could work out just how much energy was being generated by the engine. well a very close approximation. Oil temp delta in a fixed amount of time while under track conditions would do it. Then someone could select a cooler that had something like 1.5 times the heat exchange rate, maybe 2 times to be safe. There are some little details there that are missing; the exchange rate based on air flow. But that's also fairly easy to work out.

By the way its been a long time since I have actually worked as an engineer. I can honestly say I was educated as an engineer but not much beyond that these days. biggrin.gif
Jetsetsurfshop

So you think we could see a heat soaking issue where eventually the cooler can't keep up?

Miguel
[/quote]

Don't know. I wonder if the oil temp would of exceeded 250 degrees if there was more time in the session. That might be my operating temperature? Thinking about that Chin event coming up in July. They have that happy hour session. That would be one way to find out.
Here's a blanket question, are we worried about what a 914 engine can put up with or the oil viscosity breakdown?
Shane
Seabird
[quote name='Jetsetsurfshop' date='Jun 26 2014, 11:50 AM' post='2054674']
So you think we could see a heat soaking issue where eventually the cooler can't keep up?

Miguel
[/quote]

Don't know. I wonder if the oil temp would of exceeded 250 degrees if there was more time in the session. That might be my operating temperature? Thinking about that Chin event coming up in July. They have that happy hour session. That would be one way to find out.
Here's a blanket question, are we worried about what a 914 engine can put up with or the oil viscosity breakdown?
Shane
[/quote]

I guess we'll find out if there is heat soaking ;D You got that big tank too. You think I could get the full hour in with my 15 gallon?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Seabird @ Jun 26 2014, 03:20 PM) *

You think I could get the full hour in with my 15 gallon?

My 1.8L race car gets about 9 mpg.
stownsen914
If you want to calibrate your gauge/sender, take them off the car and test in isolation using boiling water (210 degrees). You'll need a 12 volt power source. Dip the sender into the boiling water and see what the gauge says. It's a pretty easy way to see if your gauge/sender are at least in the ballpark of being correct.

Scott
McMark
Stack make great gauges. If you're gonna pull the sender, put in something quality...
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 28 2014, 12:37 PM) *

Stack make great gauges. If you're gonna pull the sender, put in something quality...

Does the stack have a recall option?
McMark
Their ProControl line does.
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.