Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going crazy... again!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
Alright, i had the 912 up on stands for about 2 weeks while i was at school waiting for caliper rebuild kits. I came back after the horrendous storm in so cal was over and got to work. I finished off the brakes today, but now I cant get it started. Here is whats going on:

I turn the key, it doesnt even want to start. No spark. I pull off coil wire and no spark when I test it against the engine block. I am getting voltage (12v) to the coil. I have 2 coils, a new one and the one on the car, both are 3 ohm bosch blue coils that test okay (3 ohms of resistance says the multimeter). I have two wires, one that was on the car and another new one. Ive tried all the combinations I can and still get no spark. But I get voltage to the coil! Whats going on?

The 912 has a rain tray so it didnt get flooded, btw.

And my method for testing spark: take a brand new plug, plug into one end of the wire with the other connected to the coil. Ground the plug on the block, turn the engine over, and wait for the spark to jump between the electrode.
Aaron Cox
are your points opening?
check to see if there is water in the dizzy
Carlitos Way
Wild guess but.. bad/unplugged/unusued grounding strap to the engine/chassis?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (cmolina @ Jan 15 2005, 08:48 PM)
Wild guess but.. bad/unplugged/unusued grounding strap to the engine/chassis?

IPB Image good suggestion
redshift
Have you tried bleeding it?

IPB Image

IPB Image HEY! Worked for the brakes!

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (redshift @ Jan 15 2005, 08:54 PM)
Have you tried bleeding it?

IPB Image

IPB Image HEY! Worked for the brakes!

M

it needs a sacrificial blood letting IPB Image
bondo
I suspect the points. Voltage to the coil will only get you a spark when the voltage is disconnected (that's what the points do.. connect the coil, then disconnect it at just the right time)
redshift
I like how Matt implied in the first message that he had been in the California tsunami, and he and his car were refugees... help us... were floating around without power.

IPB Image

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 15 2005, 08:45 PM)
are your points opening?
check to see if there is water in the dizzy

and....
suspect the points. Voltage to the coil will only get you a spark when the voltage is disconnected (that's what the points do.. connect the coil, then disconnect it at just the right time)

you have your answer grasshoppa
MattR
Im thinking your right with the points. Im gonna go check those and make sure they're spec. The thing is; the car worked well before the CA tsunami, so i doubt it could be ground straps. Nothing would come unscrewed in the rain like that, right?
redshift
Hey buddy, I can tell you one thing from nearly 25 years of experience:

RTSNLWOALTAS!

(Rain Trays Stop Nothing Like Water Or Anything Like That And Stuff)

M
MattR
Points. You guys rock. you too miles!

Does water stop rust? IPB Image
redshift
Only very salty water.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.