Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield washer nozzle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Well, I got all the nice little parts to put my windshield washing pieces together. So after hooking up the various ruber hoses, hose to solution container, hose to spare wheel for power, I smiled and shut the hood. I then see the passenger side nozzle shooting water out like crazy (and of course, not aimed right, going up over the top of the car, not even hitting the windshield). Pulled off the air supply. What happened? Is there a one way valve in the actual nozzle itself? I know the supply is air driven but when you lift the wiper lever towards you what does that do? Electrical action? Need help here before I buy a new nozzle which I will do but would like to know how the system works. Had the same thing on the 1964 VW I bought new but that was soooo long ago, I can't remember what actually starts the water on its way.
Thanks.
SirAndy
QUOTE (911914 @ Jan 15 2005, 08:48 PM)
What happened? Is there a one way valve in the actual nozzle itself? I know the supply is air driven but when you lift the wiper lever towards you what does that do? Electrical action? Need help here before I buy a new nozzle which I will do but would like to know how the system works.

nope, the water actually runs through the steering column!!!

the spare tire puts pressure on the bottle, from the bootle you have a hose going to the steering column to the lever, from the lever you have a second hose go back to the cowl area. there you have a splitter that will feed 2 hoses, one for each of the nozzles ...

if that seems a bit "old-fashioned" to you, check out my article on how to upgrade your system to a electric washer pump ...
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php

btw. the bottle cap has a check valve that will prevent the spare tire from going flat. soooo, in order for the stock system to work right, the spare tires needs some air pressure ...
IPB Image Andy
bondo
I hear there's a way to adapt certain years of 924 wiper switches.. that have an electrical contact for an electric pump. Anyone know the details? (I have a 924 wiper switch, but have yet to make the attempt, or even a comparison)
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 15 2005, 09:05 PM)
I hear there's a way to adapt certain years of 924 wiper switches.. that have an electrical contact for an electric pump. Anyone know the details? (I have a 924 wiper switch, but have yet to make the attempt, or even a comparison)

yes, but it's even easier than that.

*ALL* later style columns are already set up for this (after about mid '72) !!!!

read my article, it's all in there ...
IPB Image Andy
Andy, great how to article and video, cool! But I still don't know why the passenger side only was shooting out the water and not the driver side?? Maybe I should look in drivers cockpit floor or under the car! Is the hose in a pinched positiion in the column and when you lift the lever does it release the pinch? I am sure I will be doing the electric conversion like you strongly suggest.
Thanks.
bondo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 15 2005, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 15 2005, 09:05 PM)

yes, but it's even easier than that.

*ALL* later style columns are already set up for this (after about mid '72) !!!!

read my article, it's all in there ...
IPB Image Andy

Ahh, I feel silly.. Mine (starting from the top) is high, low, off, and off. I assume the upper off is where the intermittent option would go if it were present?
SirAndy
QUOTE (911914 @ Jan 15 2005, 10:09 PM)
Is the hose in a pinched positiion in the column and when you lift the lever does it release the pinch?

the nozzle could be plugged!. look under the cowl and see if both hoses have water in them. there's only one return hose from the column, so if one side works and the other doesn't, the column should be working fine.
see if you can find the Y-split under the cowl. either the hose to the second nozzle has a kink or the nozzle itself is plugged ...

IPB Image Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 15 2005, 10:23 PM)
Mine (starting from the top) is high, low, off, and off. I assume the upper off is where the intermittent option would go if it were present?

you have to break off the little plastic tab to get to the lower position (well, if the cilum is still original) ...

there's one position below the normal "off", which is where the intermittend will be.
also, after the electric conversion, pulling the lever towards you will run the wipers for 4 intervals plus squirting water on the windshield ...
IPB Image Andy
bondo
hehe, someone must have already broken the plastic tab.. on both my cars IPB Image They both have 4 positions on the wiper switch. Is there an easy way to tell if the intermittent option is present, without powering it up and trying? (my V8 project car hasn't seen a battery in at least 10 years)
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 15 2005, 10:37 PM)
Is there an easy way to tell if the intermittent option is present

yes, look in the front trunk, under the cowl and see if you have the relay for the intermittend mounted to the driver side support beam for the cowl.
below is a pic with the relay socket, the relay is black and rectangular in shape ...

IPB Image

IPB Image Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.