Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Column Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eric914
Can an early (1974) column assembly be put into a 1976 car? From a parts car I have a good switch assembly that has the steel outer case. Can this be used on a 1976 column?

Also, any tips on removing the housings once the socket head bolt has been removed?

Thanks
eric914
older style
eric914
Newer style
eric914
Older style switch assy
SirAndy
QUOTE (eric914 @ Jan 16 2005, 10:02 AM)
Can an early (1974) column assembly be put into  a 1976 car?  From a parts car I have a good switch assembly that has the steel outer case.  Can this be used on a 1976 column?  
Also, any tips on removing the housings once the socket head bolt has been removed?

'74 to '76 should be easy. i swapped a '74 in a '70 which was a royal PITA ...

as long as the mounting plate (with the 4 bolt holes) has the same size/shape/spacing, you'll be fine.
i don't think the wiring changed from '74 to '76 so the connectors should be the same as well.
to remove the housing, you have to remove the 2 clips that hold in the shaft. dunno what they're called, but you need a special tool to squeeze them for removal.
once those are gone, the shaft will slide out. when re-installing, make sure you got a good metal "sleeve" that will give you a snugg fit of the shaft inside the bearing.

i really only see major problems if you try to mix/match early and late columns.
that would be pre '72 and '72+ because everything is different between those.

again, '74 to '76 should be fine ...
IPB Image Andy
jd74914
Jeeez, I thought everything from '73 on was the same. I could be wrong though. I think the swap would work (Disclaimer: I've never done one)
SirAndy
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Jan 16 2005, 01:05 PM)
Jeeez, I thought everything from '73 on was the same.

that basic hardware is the same, mounting plate, shaft etc.
what changed was the design of the lock and the housing ....

on pre '72 cars, even the length of the shaft and the angle the steering column is mounted are different. you'll have to do some serious grinding and IPB Image to fit a late column on a early car.
you even need to regrind the grooves on the shaft where the universal joint mounts ...
IPB Image Andy
Rhodes71/914
Wish I would have known about the pre '72 being different from the later. I have a great later column that I was going to put in my 71, went to pull the one out of the 71 and noticed that the bolting was completely diff.

Anyone have a good '71 column they want to trade for a later one. No key though.
jwalters
IPB Image I wonder ifn this is peculiar to certain years?? My 72 had a bad tumbler and shaft--I raped the one outta my donor 74 and it went right in--same harness connectors, mounting..hmmmmmm...maybe I should go scrutinize the chassis numbers----where are all of them???? IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (jwalters @ Jan 16 2005, 04:21 PM)
My 72 had a bad tumbler and shaft--I raped the one outta my donor 74 and it went right in--same harness connectors, mounting..hmmmmmm...maybe I should go scrutinize the chassis numbers----

'72 - '74 are the same, '75 and '76 are different but will fit '72 - '74, '70 and '71 are completely different and won't fit any '72+ or vice versa (unless you do some major IPB Image and change the wire harness)

IPB Image Andy
eric914
Thanks to all who responded.

I have completed the swap and once I realized I needed to have a key in the switch to release the lock IPB Image it went well. The new 74 piece replaced the 76 piece perfectly. In my opinion the steel outer housing of the 74 is nicer than the plastic housing of the 75-76. All lights and turn signal functions now seem to work.

Now.....onto rebuilding the front suspension.

Eric
Rusty
Good job, Eric! Good luck with the front suspension! IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Wish I had been around to see this post sooner.. We did this to Yoder's car a few years ago. We were trying to fix the "haunted horn" syndrome that he has. It didn't work.

The fun part was that Yoder couldn't figure out how to start the car afterwords. He had to push on the key to get it to turn. The 75/76 lock just turns. IPB Image
Rockaria
QUOTE (eric914 @ Jan 16 2005, 12:02 PM)
Can an early (1974) column assembly be put into  a 1976 car?  From a parts car I have a good switch assembly that has the steel outer case.  Can this be used on a 1976 column?  

Thanks

I've done it as well. It is a direct swap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.