Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement Headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gandalf_025
Back in the early days, I bought a pair of Cibe Z beam headlights. I put a pair of high watt bulbs in them and they were way better than the other lights available then.

When I took my car apart to prep it to go for paint last year, I removed the headlights and found the reflectors had corroded bad enough that I questioned if they were worth saving. The lenses are fine, but even trying to get the reflectors rechromed was way too much money.
I have been looking for 7" lights that I could swap the reflectors onto my lenses and came across a place that makes a repro of the Z Beams.

I ordered a pair, about 20.00 each plus shipping. I should have them in a day or so.
At that price, it is worth it to me just for the reflectors, but if the lenses really are a copy of the early Cibe lenses They might be worth having.

I won't have my car back together for quite a while, so I have no idea of they are anywhere near as good as the originals.. but if someone is looking for
a set of replacement headlights these might be worth 20.00 each to find out .

here is a link to the web page I ordered them from.

http://classicgarage.com/7rounheadwit.html

damesandhotrods
I had a pair of Cibié headlights in an MGB-GT and they were the best head lights ever. I drive my 914 at night, and being on the coast I have run into fog. New headlights and possible fog lights are on my list of things to do. But I am going to spring for the real thing, they are worth it…
gandalf_025
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ May 27 2014, 06:19 PM) *

I had a pair of Cibié headlights in an MGB-GT and they were the best head lights ever. I drive my 914 at night, and being on the coast I have run into fog. New headlights and possible fog lights are on my list of things to do. But I am going to spring for the real thing, they are worth it…

The original Z beams have been out of production for a number of years. Finding a used pair or a set of NOS won't be cheap. For the cost involved, these repros are at least worth checking out.
green914
Do the Cibie lenses cast out a brighter light, or for a longer distance? confused24.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ May 27 2014, 05:47 PM) *

When I took my car apart to prep it to go for paint last year.

Last year, really?

Find a decent place yet?
anderssj
QUOTE(green914 @ May 27 2014, 07:37 PM) *

Do the Cibie lenses cast out a brighter light, or for a longer distance? confused24.gif

More even spread in front of the car, with a sharp cutoff. E-code h4s have a flat horizontal cutoff on the left side of the beam pattern and about a 20-degree rise to the right to illuminate pedestrians, road signs, etc. The Z-beam truncates the rise on the right with a second, but higher flat cutoff--looks king of like a flattened backwards "Z." I'll see if I can find a picture of the patterns.

If you can find Marchal or Carello lights, they're good too!
anderssj
OK, pictures . . .

e-code:

Click to view attachment

z-beam:

Click to view attachment

Hope this helps!

Steve A-
gandalf_025
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 27 2014, 08:33 PM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ May 27 2014, 05:47 PM) *

When I took my car apart to prep it to go for paint last year.

Last year, really?

Find a decent place yet?

Well, maybe I took the headlights apart last year.... Still haven't found a shop
to take it, but I'll keep looking.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(anderssj @ May 27 2014, 09:38 PM) *

OK, pictures . . .

e-code:

Click to view attachment

z-beam:

Click to view attachment

Hope this helps!

Steve A-

neo light
IPB Image
green914
The pics are great help smile.gif I think the neo light looked the best.
bandjoey
Thanks for the info. Update after installing yours. Do they require more power or relays? Plug and play?
gandalf_025
My problem is I won't have my car back together for a LONG time..
I have no idea when.. So I can't speak for the quality of the repro lenses.
In my situation, I was already ahead buying these because I can take my original Cibe's apart and just use the reflectors from these with my old lenses.
I couldn't find a set of plain reflectors for 20.00 each. These arrived today and even had a pair of H4 55/60 bulbs with them. Looks like these NeoLites are made in India.

I used to run the 55/60's in my car without relays, years ago.. I put relays in when I went to 100/130's later on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.