Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripped Stud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi All,
I need to replace this stud with a new stud that is at least 1/4 inch or so longer than this one.
The rocker assy's are shimmed. So I assume that's why the stud is too short to have sufficient thread protrusion with the rocker assy installed.
d7n7master
Threads in the head seem OK...
Should I just chase 'em & re-install a new stud???
Heli-Coil??? Or...
Thanx, Gary
Mark Henry
Fat performance has 8mm studs for the rockers...I think they're a bit longer.
d7n7master
Awesome! Thanks
Fat it is... IPB Image
d7n7master
AA's good for somethin' - I found the stud p/n. WooHoo IPB Image
DJsRepS
You could try one of the same and use lok tite on the head threads Seat it down into position and then back off it a little. 1.5 turns back out to raise it a little. It's not like a rod bolt taking a pounding.
Walter
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Jan 16 2005, 04:15 PM)
Fat performance has 8mm studs for the rockers...I think they're a bit longer.

Are you sure its M8 that threads into the head?
IIRC, the nuts are M7 (which is rare, even in Europe) and the thread into the head is M9 , which is also a rare size... Helicoils will very therefore probably be non-existant for those threads.
I use 1,5mm shims on the same heads with P-swivelfeet and still am able to fully screw on the nut with the 7mm washer underneath.
Maybe better to try use the original item if the threads are ok.

regards,
Walter
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Walter @ Jan 17 2005, 09:35 AM)

Are you sure its M8 that threads into the head?
regards,
Walter

The ones Fat sell are M9 (or is it M10 with an odd pitch?)on the head and M8 on the stud. Gets rid of the sucky M7 nuts. Then you can use an 8mm nut or even better the M8 with the 15mm wrench size.
The Fat ones are made for high performance T4 heads.

the nuts are M7 (which is rare, even in Europe)

Up here (in Canada at least) you can get them at Home Depot....
Walter
Thanks for the extra info on the FAT studs Mark!

The M7 nuts are not available here at home depot warehouses IPB Image , but sometimes at bicycle stores, which use more often the M7 thread. You know what bicycles are don't you? IPB Image
d7n7master
I KNEW BETTER & EFFIN' DID IT ANYWAY!!! Ahhhh!!!

Last Sunday I ordered the studs from AA. I thought they
could handle a order for a couple of studs, washers & nuts. Their website showed the parts as "available".
I called to check on my order last nite. They said they were waiting on the studs to come in to complete my order.
I said - your website showed the studs as available when I placed my order. She said they are available & they are on order. Probably be delivered within a week. Damn. That's B.S!!!
AA can IPB Image
I got your available right here IPB Image
DuckRyder
The bird has those.

In fact, if I can find it I think I have an extra..
Type 4
I could have supplied those for you and I am just down the road.
d7n7master
Thanks Type4! I'm up for it. I 'don't want to wait another week or more for AA to someday deliver.

PM me with your# & let's make a deal!
Thanks, Gary
d7n7master
Well, it's now Jan. 25th & I STILL don't have my studs from AA... IPB Image

Thatz it. I'll NEVER puchase from AA again.
I should have known better. Two years ago I ordered a front air dam from AA. I waited for 3 months... then amazingly enough, it finally arrived.

I'm gonna have to call FAT today. 2 bad FAT doesn't have a parts order web page.
skline
Didnt you get them from Steve? He is just down around the corner or so from me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.