Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I Get a Head Count for Suby Powered 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Stupid request, I know, but it will calm me down for a few minutes anyway. So if you have a Suby powered 914, shout it out. 20-30 maybe 50 existing conversions??? Also, what was your role? Check writer or builder? How much do you have in yours? Regrets, concerns or something you would have done differently?
effutuo101
I am in progress. Also, check writer/builder depending on what is going on.
My only regret so far is the amount of time my build has taken.
Hope to hear it start by end of the year and driving early next year.
total is about 15k with all of the parts/fiberglass/paint/lizardskin/sheetmetal/welding/powdercoating and so forth. I am afraid to total up my receipts as I could have bought a running car as I want mine for cheaper. not the same size motor, but close enough.

CptTripps
I'm a mix of builder and check writer. I know my weaknesses.

I hate to admit it, but I'm about $30k deep right now. THAT crept up on me. $250 here...$500 there....$1,500 a time or two. Happens fast.

If I were to do it over, I'm not sure id change anything. I've done this entire build to the n-th degree. If I have one regret, it's not getting the stinger computer with a pre-wired harness. That would have saved me a few weeks.
IanJ
Work in progress. I've gone with the coldwater cradle, subarugears adaptor kit and renegade radiator so far.
I've almost completed my 5 bolt conversion and went with 930 driveshafts.

Waiting on Ian shipping me a shifter kit.
Also trying to decided what to do for a clutch pedal. I had grand plans to create a hybrid 914 and 964 pedal box but am now thinking of buying a tilton style complete box.

Wiring will be next. Need to investigate the stinger.

I've been trying to do as much work to the car as possible myself but work seems to have been all consuming since I started.
76-914
Well, we covered the Suby "currently undergoing conversions" in a separate thread a few weeks back. I'm interested in how many members (like Ruby914, DB Cooper, etc) are driving w/Suby powered 914's.
partwerks
I hired the conversion done. At least $15,000.00 into it. Good running engine. Even with the flash, it makes me want a bit more punch.
JRust
I have normally aspirated 2.5 with a performance cam & heads. Dyno'd at 158 to the rear wheels. I've put a little over 5000 miles on it in the last 2 months. One trip to Route 66 & to WCR earlier this month. Other than a dead animal in my longitude that seriously stank. No problems

Although I am going to get A/C installed as those long drives in the heat kinda suck. No good reason not to put it on. Not like the concours people are going to give me grief for that lol-2.gif
BIGKAT_83
Got about 8000 miles on my Subaru conversion now. I drive it every day and my wife has even driven it to work a couple of times. Its been trouble free except for a bad CV joint on the 914 end of the axle.
I'm also helping a friend with another 914 Subaru car and another one coming in a couple of weeks. Damn that will make 5 watercooled 914's at my garage.
904svo
Does a kit 904 count, I installed a 2007 WRX engine. It's a stock engine with all
the ODB2 equipment installed for emission testing ( titled as a 2005). Most of the parts came off a 914 trans,wirring warness, gauges,seats,sterring column,brakes
and other parts.
904svo
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ May 29 2014, 06:06 PM) *

Got about 8000 miles on my Subaru conversion now. I drive it every day and my wife has even driven it to work a couple of times. Its been trouble free except for a bad CV joint on the 914 end of the axle.
I'm also helping a friend with another 914 Subaru car and another one coming in a couple of weeks. Damn that will make 5 watercooled 914's at my garage.

Are you going to octane and coffee Sunday?
mgp4591
I've got one in the works- a 71 with a 1.7 and a 92 SVX ready to go under the knife, still working on another place to live with a garage. The place I'm in isn't too cool on working outside, but they do let me change my oil... big woop. I'm in it for 3500 as of now and I'm gonna try to keep it all under 10 grand and I've got the skills to do it. It won't be a concours special but it will run with the best of 'em.... I know, famous last words... huh.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(904svo @ May 29 2014, 11:36 PM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ May 29 2014, 06:06 PM) *

Are you going to octane and coffee Sunday?

Yes...Think I'll get there around 8:30
DBCooper
Two here. I have a red one that's done, engine and transmission. I started the build in Texas with a California car and a SBC but (long story) the car ended up back out in California without me and was changed to a Subaru by my son and his friend. I'm still thanking them for that. My son now has one too, blue, his daily driver. It was a non-running project we bought from someone who'd hired a Subaru performance shop to do, ironically using the online build threads for my car as their template. Meant they used lots of good parts but had no knowledge of 914's so they muffed a lot of stuff and never finished. He's sorted most by now and has a really nice car.

Last month I met the mechanic from a VW performance/custom shop in Fresno who'd done two, one for himself and another for a customer. And last year spoke with the owner of another A/C VW shop in Oakland/Berkeley who'd done an EZ30 conversion. I'm supposed to take my car up, drive his, let him drive mine and compare notes. Haven't done that yet. And there was someone in the Palo Alto area who had a straight Renegade conversion, but I don't remember the name. Oh, and Heaterguy, who has the 550hp SCCA car that keeps eating transmissions, he's in San Leandro or something, East Bay.

ruby914
You have me counted, with my turbo 2.0 WRX Suby. It's my DD, up to the point that it's down for an upgrade. I will be replacing the 901 with a Suby trans soon.

I am also hung up on painting, I want it to look as good as Jrust's.

I never found the owner to this one http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=234719&hl=

76-914
SVO - Hell yes it counts! As well as your wiring tips. thumb3d.gif
That's about 15 by my count. And I know of at least 5 others that haven't added their names. So if I come up with 20+ on a quick count I'd guess there are many more. Suby meet Porsche. What a perfect marriage wub.gif . If we could just get Rotary914 to switch over I'm sure he'd perfect an engine lid cooling system. That would be huge!
Chris H.
I'm sure mine will be done one day. '75 with a '95 SVX engine and 2006 WRX trans.
nsyr
I have been driving my eg33 w/suby trans for three years now. Before that I was daily driving it with a suby 2.0 turbo since 2005.
pankopp
Mine has been converted since late '07. EJ22E with turbo and stock 901 tailshift. Used Renegade kit and cooling system.

I would love to upgrade to a Subaru transmission at some point...
dlo914
Fired up our EJ22 on a bench setup, gonna be throwing it into the car next weekend!!!
1stworks
I have complete Coldwater 914 kit, was hoping to drop in suby wrx engine/trans this spring but ran out money.....
lucky for me I have good running 2.0 fuel injected motor that I'll run this summer.

Some day it will happen.

smoke.gif
scotty b
Have a pile o' parts. Need to find the time. SVX, MT-5 trans
Zaney
driving.gif Driving mine on sunny days only here in the PNW.

Currently, final prep for paint... Then, for sale dry.gif

I will make an ad soon but, the more work I do the price goes up. If interested now, please PM for details until ad goes up.

Jonathan Livesay
Click to view attachment Bought with most all of the heavy lifting done, not a daily driver, but definitely a fast driver.
rpg5553
Been driving mine pretty much daily for the last 3 1/2 years. Running an WRX 2.0 turbo with the 901 trans. Also did a cable shift for the tail shifter while I was at it.
Been running the Georgia mountains at least twice a month with it, no problems.

Only issue was wiring the original ECU from scratch and trying to figure out the
JDM wiring diagrams. Spent more time on the wiring than the actual install. dry.gif

Oh yeah, also hitting a possum which rolled up under it. Took a while to get that smell off the coolent hoses. barf.gif

Ronnie G

76-914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 9 2014, 04:09 PM) *

Have a pile o' parts. Need to find the time. SVX, MT-5 trans

poke.gif That rumor has been around for a couple of years! Raise your prices if you need more time. lol-2.gif If I ever get the time or skills to do a decent search I'll go thru the Suby Archives. Wouldn't be surprised if there are 50+ out there. Thx for the responses. And trash that "Stock" License Plate Frame, Jonathan. Why give them a hint? lol-2.gif I love that stock look. wub.gif
DBCooper
I mentioned having met someone from Fresno who'd done several conversions. Just found the name, it's Brodie and his shop is www.914sgonewild.com. Nice guy and from what I saw really nice work.

Oxen914
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 29 2014, 06:16 PM) *

Stupid request, I know, but it will calm me down for a few minutes anyway. So if you have a Suby powered 914, shout it out. 20-30 maybe 50 existing conversions??? Also, what was your role? Check writer or builder? How much do you have in yours? Regrets, concerns or something you would have done differently?

I just found this link, I have a 1975 with a JDM subaru 2.0 twin turbo. This was done by a very cool guy down in Texas, all I did was purchase it. When he was building it he called it Dirty Penny.
Chris H.
Cool! Yep we know Dirty Penny. There's a build thread somewhere I think.
76-914
Cool, you bought Novak's car. We know her and thanks for adding yours to the thread. Must feel like an afterburner when those twins kick in! new_shocked.gif
smj
If you're looking for a headcount, I see fiid at least once a month, and he still has his EJ20DETT conversion. In fact I was his co-driver in that car this past September for the California Melee.

Here's us in the car: flickr. Fiid's wearing the white hat, I'm in the green 914 shirt.
strawman
I've driven mine on the cul de sac, but it's far from a driver. I'm using an EJ22 turbo engine and Suby trans. All built by me in my garage using my own mounts. Never ending but fun projects (6 years in April!).
JRust
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 19 2014, 08:17 AM) *

I mentioned having met someone from Fresno who'd done several conversions. Just found the name, it's Brodie and his shop is www.914sgonewild.com. Nice guy and from what I saw really nice work.

I talked with Brody a few years ago. He has been at it a while & his conversions looked good 3 years ago. I am sure he has refined them even more now. I'd definitely hit up his shop if I was anywhere close. Was very cool on the phone & excited to hear from another guy doing a conversion. I was just looking into it then as I had picked up a Suby setup for a nice 74 I had. Ironically it was the setup Dean was going to use on my car. Before finding a deal on a nice built motor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.