Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Washer Pumps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earossi
Will take delivery of my 1976 914 shortly, and unfortunately, it is still equipped with the windshield washer system that taps air off the spare tire. I know that the 914-6's did away with that system; but, wonder what easy fixes other 914-4 owners have come up with over the years?
SirAndy
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php

You can use an electrical 911 pump and adapt it to work with your current reservoir. See tech article above.
smile.gif
eyesright
If you don't have a Porsche junkyard nearby, you can get an electric W/W pump from your FLAPS, also tubing and connectors. I've done this twice by making up a bracket out of metal scraps and a 2" hose clamp, bolting it to the reservoir holddown bolt. It won't have a P or VW logo on it but it will still work.

Good luck.
saigon71
From what I can tell, this one looks quite a bit like the 911 pump. I bought one of these and installed it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Windshield...1c1&vxp=mtr

earossi
Thanks to all for the info. The switch activation is my next question. Is there a way to use the existing stalk to activate the pump with or without the wipers. And can I make this mod without dismantling the steering column? Or is it easier to just Add a push button switch somewhere in the car?
SLITS
QUOTE(earossi @ May 31 2014, 06:32 AM) *

Thanks to all for the info. The switch activation is my next question. Is there a way to use the existing stalk to activate the pump with or without the wipers. And can I make this mod without dismantling the steering column? Or is it easier to just Add a push button switch somewhere in the car?

Karl Ellzey's mod using a 924 switch
saigon71
QUOTE(earossi @ May 31 2014, 09:32 AM) *

Using the 924 stalk makes for a cleaner overall install, but I didn't feel like messing with the conversion. I just installed a small push button switch under the dash.

Click to view attachment

earossi
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 31 2014, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(earossi @ May 31 2014, 06:32 AM) *

Karl Ellzey's mod using a 924 switch

I like the idea of using a 924 stalk switch; however, that part is no longer available. So, other than searching for a junked 924, is there a more current substitute that might be more available?
TheCabinetmaker
My driver had a conversion done to when I bought it. They added a pump to the bottom of the reservoir and a momentary switch mounted on the pedal board operated with your foot. Simple and effective.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.