Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BMW 320 I modification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
shane
Looking for modification done to a set of 320 I calipers to fit late-model 914 Price turnaround time thanks Shane at 253-223-7066
NORD

Pelican Parts has a thread on converting to 320 front brakes. driving.gif
shane
Was looking for someone to give me a price to do the Machining on the calipers for me
bfrymire
QUOTE(shane @ May 30 2014, 03:47 PM) *

Was looking for someone to give me a price to do the Machining on the calipers for me

Gprparts used to do it.
bulitt
PM Eric Shea
Bill's Racing 914
QUOTE(shane @ May 30 2014, 11:27 AM) *

Looking for modification done to a set of 320 I calipers to fit late-model 914 Price turnaround time thanks Shane at 253-223-7066

I went to Autozone and bought a pair of 1978 320i calipers made by Girling. $75.00 ea without the core. $45 ea with the core. They fit the 3in bolt pattern on the mount but were offset to the outside. I took them back and replaced them with ATE at the suggestion of Eric Shea. The brake rotor lines up right in the middle. So use the ATE's and not the Girlings.

Also, the best guy for Porsche brake advice is Eric Shea at PMB Performance in Salt Lake City.

bdstone914
QUOTE(Bill's Racing 914 @ Jun 1 2014, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(shane @ May 30 2014, 11:27 AM) *

I went to Autozone and bought a pair of 1978 320i calipers made by Girling. $75.00 ea without the core. $45 ea with the core. They fit the 3in bolt pattern on the mount but were offset to the outside. I took them back and replaced them with ATE at the suggestion of Eric Shea. The brake rotor lines up right in the middle. So use the ATE's and not the Girlings.

Also, the best guy for Porsche brake advice is Eric Shea at PMB Performance in Salt Lake City.

I have used both ATE and Girling and found that both need to be machined to fit late struts. I believe that the 77 320i calipers were used with vented rotors. It is usually the 78-83 ones that are used.
You can buy very cheap rebuilt calipers but be aware of what you are buying. I have found pistons clocked wrong, crooked bleeders that do not seal and dents on mating surfaces that prevent them from mounting flush.
And the oil finish will allow them to quickly rust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.