Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ducktail
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kid914
Search found nothing blink.gif
Anyone have a ducktail installation thread?
How did you mount and secure yours?
thanks
bulitt
heres a thread for Sheridan Rear spoiler install?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=229928
scott_in_nh
I put mine on with adhesive.
That way I didn't have to make any holes if I changed my mind smile.gif
Rand
Just stick it into the dumpster either end up. ;p
DBCooper
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 2 2014, 07:42 PM) *

No, don't do that, send it to me and I will send you MONEY. Not a lot but more than you'll get from that dumpster.

kid914
Geeez you guys are alot of help.. lol

Anyone?????
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(kid914 @ Jun 3 2014, 09:30 AM) *

Geeez you guys are alot of help.. lol

Anyone?????

Click on the link Bullitt provided. Most procedures call for drilling holes in the trunk lid. Some people don't think it is worth drilling holes for a spoiler that doesn't serve any real purpose other than it might look cool to some. I've been told that unless the spoiler is at least 6 inches high, (like the one Sheridan makes) it will have no real function. Like has been said many times here though, "It's your car, do what you want and be happy with it". biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot Cannon
My car with and without duck tail. I like it without. Actually I just like posting pictures of my car. av-943.gif lol-2.gif
reharvey
I've installed five of these. I have the info on here somewhere. Will send it along when I find it. Ray
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 2 2014, 07:42 PM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

--DD
ripper911
biggrin.gif IPB Image
IPB Image

I used one to cover some holes in a lid I bought. I like it. unsure.gif
sixnotfour
double back tape and 5 hidden brackets for Security...no holes through decklid rolleyes.gif

straight ones are the bomb.....
dale73914
Hey Elliot,

You missed a photo. from the front.
Nothing to do with the ducktail, but i want to see what it looks like with the driving lights.
I've been thinking of doing this on mine smile.gif

Cheers

Dale

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 4 2014, 02:55 AM) *

My car with and without duck tail. I like it without. Actually I just like posting pictures of my car. av-943.gif lol-2.gif

Elliot Cannon
This is the only front pic I have. The car is on the lift now and when I'm done I'll send you a front on pic.
dale73914
Ahh, so you've swapped them around from high to low as well.
I was wondering which way to run them.
Didnt consider using my brain and thinking i would be able to just rotate them as needed / wanted smile.gif

Thanks.

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 4 2014, 12:33 PM) *

This is the only front pic I have. The car is on the lift now and when I'm done I'll send you a front on pic.
Trekkor
The ducktail is very functional.
At about 70-80mph the car will start to experience rear end lift and become unstable.
The ducktail puts the turbulent air behind the car far enough that it eliminates this problem.

Mine is held on with four bolts.

Click to view attachment
al weidman
Elliot how permanent are your body panels? I see a lot of zeus fasteners and the first picture looks like a narrow body.
bulitt
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 3 2014, 10:33 PM) *

Heres one biggrin.gif

IPB Image
iamchappy
Molded in
CptTripps
Mine was bolted in 2-3 spots....very poorly.

I was going to take the Dumpster approach, but ended up selling it (for $100-ish?) in Hershey.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jun 3 2014, 10:43 PM) *

The ducktail is very functional.
At about 70-80mph the car will start to experience rear end lift and become unstable.

Up until this year, I have tracked my car with no rear spoiler, but with a deep front air dam and have had no stability problems at 120+.

With the addition of the rear spoiler, I have felt no significant difference other than the car "may" feel a little more stable at the top of the esses at the Glen. The problem with this analysis being that I made a boatload of chassis changes as well that are likely a more contributing factor to increased stability.

There are other threads out there where folks have added a rear spoiler only which has actually contributed to more instability of the car at high speeds. Think of it this way, with a rear spoiler theoretically adding downforce and no front air dam, more air stays under the car making the front end feel light. YMMV.

If you're doing it for looks, do what you like! The Sheridan spoiler is well worth the money from a quality perspective. By far the nicest aftermarket fiberglass bit I have ever purchase which fit with no trimming at all!
kid914
Thank you sit. beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(al weidman @ Jun 3 2014, 08:10 PM) *

Elliot how permanent are your body panels? I see a lot of zeus fasteners and the first picture looks like a narrow body.

The first pic was to show the duck tail spoiler. The car was still narrow body then. I added fiberglass fenders, front and rear trunk lids and didn't re-install the spoiler. The fenders are held on with Dzus fasteners and are totally removable. biggrin.gif
relentless
I added my rear spoiler back in the 70's (as a kid) because I liked the look on a flared 914. I used large sheet metal screws with large flat washers, which tapped into the bottom of the spoiler after I drilled the holes. Maybe not very elegant, but the spoiler has stayed on the last 40 years or so.

Be aware that if you don't put something between the spoiler and your fenders to cushion the outer spoiler ends you will get wear marks in your paint! I found out the hard way, about 40 years ago! huh.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jun 3 2014, 07:43 PM) *

Like Tomeric, I have never had that happen to my car. And yes, I have taken corners that fast up at Thunderhill. And the car never did the "wander" thing on the freeway at speeds above that.

It could be something specific to your setup, Trek. And if the tail fixed it in your case, it's the appropriate thing for your car.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.