Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
IPB Image Man, is this thing shot or what?? As you can see only about 1/3 of the surface was providing friction--the inner circle has a big deep lip from wear--think this one is toast........ IPB Image Glad I got two spares that are better than this!
bondo
You can't know for sure without taking measurements.. but I'm guessing that unless that thing was new when it was put into service it's probably past its wear limit.
McMark
Hard to tell with all the crud on it, but it doesn't look like it's ever been cut before. You probably have enough to resurface it if you wish.
jwalters
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 17 2005, 02:42 PM)
Hard to tell with all the crud on it, but it doesn't look like it's ever been cut before. You probably have enough to resurface it if you wish.

IPB Image It ain't crud--metal is discolored where the disc has not been touching it.................. IPB Image
McMark
I meant the areas that aren't the friction surface. Specifically the face where the bolts screw in. A guarantee that a can of brake cleaner will find a nice amount of crud on there.
jwalters
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 17 2005, 02:51 PM)
I meant the areas that aren't the friction surface. Specifically the face where the bolts screw in. A guarantee that a can of brake cleaner will find a nice amount of crud on there.

IPB Image You mean that crud---you threw me for a loop there buddy--I was talking about the the facing where the disc rides---so naturally I thought this was what you were referring to---

Ya, no it has not been cut---but it is .087 deep right now from where there is still virgin metal----that is too much for me---cause it would have to go at LEAST another 060 to flatten the surface down....prolly more----But I got two more I can scutinize---The teeth on this one isn't bad, but you can tell it has been in the car a looooong time......
bondo
If you have a straight edge and dial indicators, you can measure the low spots and figure out if it's usuable. Measure your spares too.. no point in keeping flywheels you can't use.. unless you need a BIG ashtray IPB Image

Here's a thread talking about wear limits: Flywheel Thread
rick 918-S
If your tossing it in the scrap I'll pay shipping costs if you send it to me. It looks like a good donor for a 928 conversion flywheel.

pay pal? IPB Image IPB Image
jwalters
IPB Image ifn you want it--you can have it---I'll get it packed and shipping cost found out---need zip---let me know--don't do evilpal---send me a M/O instead. IPB Image
jwalters
IPB Image You know--as badly worn as it is--I never had any clutch issues with it--go figure.... IPB Image
rick 918-S
QUOTE (jwalters @ Jan 17 2005, 03:24 PM)
IPB Image ifn you want it--you can have it---I'll get it packed and shipping cost found out---need zip---let me know--don't do evilpal---send me a M/O instead. IPB Image

Thanks, It will make a good donor for an Alien autopsy. I pm'ed you shipping info. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.