Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question: what oil temps do you see on your non-stock 6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
For anyone that has a 2.4 or bigger /6 engine that does NOT have a front oil cooler, what kind of oil temps are you seeing under normal driving?

I guess the follow up (or leading question) should be...is a front oil cooler mandatory for this engine in a 914?

Engine is stock, nothing extra special. Engine is carb'd and AFR seems pretty good (mid 12's at normal running)

This is a buddy of mine's. Our cars have always had front oil coolers and run very cool, so I'm not familiar with the affect of NOT having the front cooler on it. But his is running just above 100 degrees C (212 deg F) which seems a bit high. He does have a small cooler with a fan in the back, above the axle area.

thoughts/ Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks
SirAndy
Mine runs too cool for my liking.

My thermostat opens somewhere around 180 and unless i get stuck in traffic on a 100+ day, my temps never go over 200.

95% of the time they stay right at 180 ...
popcorn[1].gif

PS: 3.6L, no engine cooler, large front mounted cooler, no fans.

PPS: A stock 2.4L should be fine with the stock engine mounted cooler. I know of several stock 3.2L here in CA that only run the engine cooler, without any problems (street driving only).
naro914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 10 2014, 05:52 PM) *

PPS: A stock 2.4L should be fine with the stock engine mounted cooler. I know of several stock 3.2L here in CA that only run the engine cooler, without any problems (street driving only).

I don't disagree...any thoughts as to why it could be running so hot?
billh1963
Not quite a 2.4L but my 2.0L (bumped up to 2.2 running E cams and triple Webers) runs around 200 to 210 at interstate speeds in 80 to 90 degree weather. At slower speeds it will drop down to 190-200. I do not have an external cooler.

I've done a lot of internet "research" and 212 seems to be perfectly acceptable. If it bothers your friend he can consider an external cooler.
jmill
Does your friend have a T, E or S engine?

popcorn[1].gif

I have a 2.2T and a 2.4 T and I'm debating whether or not to go with the front cooler.
ClayPerrine
Without an external oil cooler, my 2.4S motor will run up to 250 in the Texas summer heat. I don't like that.

With the 911 Carrera cooler, it runs about 210, which is good. I mounted the cooler in the left rear corner where it gets air from under the fender.

patssle
I'm doing a 3.0L conversion and my research really goes either way...it seems a good 50/50 split of opinions to do a secondary oil cooler or not. The rule always seemed to be 2.7L or higher but there is plenty of opinion.
buck toenges
My 3.2 runs close to 250 degrees in the heat. Way to high for me. I probably need to get a front cooler. What did you do andy to get your 3.6 to be so cool?

Buck
tomeric914
I saw 260+ deg F at the track with a 12 x 12 fan assisted oil cooler back by the transmission. It was relocated to the front about 3 years ago with a 180 deg F Mocal oil thermostat and ran too cool. I switched to a 200 deg F thermostat over the winter and now it runs between 180-200 deg F on the street or track.
naro914
So he tried registering on here and wanted to post, but got an error saying he does not have authorization to post!!

Andy???
Wdunster
Thanks for thin put guys! I am over cautious due to issues I have in the past. I am not as comfortable with 212 deg to 220. My 2.4 is e cams 9.5:1 compression with "s" heads. Zenith carbs.
I even borrowed Bob's sport exhaust thinking my exhausted is restricted. Sounds and runs better.
Wdunster
That would be input. Auto correct. Gotta love it!
SirAndy
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Jun 10 2014, 05:36 PM) *
What did you do andy to get your 3.6 to be so cool?

Dunno, it's always been like that. I got a large front mounted cooler that is shrouded, air goes out the top through the hood.

My guess is that the large cooler plus the long lines are enough of a heat-sink to work well even in stop/go traffic.

The hottest i have ever seen was 220ish and that was after getting stuck in traffic in 100+ weather after some 500 miles through the desert ...
popcorn[1].gif
mskala
QUOTE(Wdunster @ Jun 10 2014, 09:22 PM) *

Thanks for thin put guys! I am over cautious due to issues I have in the past. I am not as comfortable with 212 deg to 220. My 2.4 is e cams 9.5:1 compression with "s" heads. Zenith carbs.
I even borrowed Bob's sport exhaust thinking my exhausted is restricted. Sounds and runs better.

I forget the numerical temp since the stupid gauge doesn't want to print
them in the visible area, but on my 2.2E it stays to the left of vertical, and
quite a bit left while driving around casually.

Maybe clean your oil cooler? Also you can take the thermostat out (one of
the few things that's easy in the 914 but hard in the 911 biggrin.gif ) and put it
in a pan of water on the stove, use a meat thermometer and heat up kinda
slowly and see that it opens at 83C.
Wdunster
Thanks Mark
3000 miles on a fresh complete rebuild. I have replaced the thermostat but will definitely recheck this one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.