Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Finn's '75 2.0l FI 914 build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dudzy's914
Hey, gang! So here's the deal; my name is Finn, and I'm 14 years old (that doesn't really matter), I have been reading 914World and learning all sorts of skills for about 3 years now. I bought my first 914 in mid 2012, a '74 1.8l. It wasn't running, I knew there was an engine rebuild in the future. But as I was disassembling, I found some unwanted rust issues out of my budget at the time sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif confused24.gif . So this spring I came across a Black '75 2.0l FI. All body work was already done, brand new interior...
So, this (by the way, a very nice guy) started this project about 8 years ago, he had all the body work done, reupulstered interior, he bought everything you would need to build a new 914. All I needed was a battery and this car purred so smoothly it is unbelievable. My dad, has owned busses, Beetles, Ghias, 914s, a lot of air cooled wonders, so he knows a lot about them. He has/is helping me learn, he already taught me a ton, enough to feel confident to go out to the barn and make progress by myself. Thanks a lot, your the BEST DAD!
My plan is to fix the small remaining little bits of work; welding e-brake pivot plate, seat belt attachment bolt, center console wiring, recover dash. then I will shoot it with gloss black Plasti-Dip(to preserve until I can afford a quality paint job) and reassemble.

Since I got a lot of extra parts, I will be selling some. I will post a link in the classifieds to ebay, where I will be selling them.

(as for the '74, that will be a father-son race car project.)

By the way, I am paying for everything. Including the gas to pick it up.

I will keep you all updated as the build progresses. And ask a few questions:)
I'll post better pictures later
hndyhrr
welcome.png

pictures please. it is awesome that you are very young and learning from your dad and all the great folks here on the world
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
I was 11 when I started working on teeners & now 40 years later I still have that car & could not imagine ever parting with her. Have fun with yours biggrin.gif
dudzy's914
Pictures.
dudzy's914
Pictures
KELTY360
welcome.png

So cool! Yes it does matter that you're 'only' 14...it gives you a head start on a sickness that appears to be happily incurable.
Bob L.
Only 14 and you already have 2? I'd say your off to a good start.
I'm jealous.

welcome.png
dudzy's914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 10 2014, 09:04 PM) *

welcome.png

So cool! Yes it does matter that you're 'only' 14...it gives you a head start on a sickness that appears to be happily incurable.

Lots of people don't take me serious. I'm hoping the teener community takes me in.
dudzy's914
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jun 10 2014, 09:06 PM) *

Only 14 and you already have 2? I'd say your off to a good start.
I'm jealous.

welcome.png

I have found what hard work earns.- something that is labeled "PORSCHE"
Maltese Falcon
Great start at 14 aktion035.gif !
I worked with along with my son on his 914 when he turned 15.
My automotive interest started at age 14...in the GM Fisher Body Craftsman Guild.
Here is a block of sugar pine that I shaped into this black mid-engine, gull wing door, sports car scale model. I finally got to work on real iron in High School auto shop a couple years later !
Keep us posted with lots of pics...
Marty Click to view attachment
poorsche914
Hey, Finn...

You and your dad should come to the Smokies for Okteenerfest this fall. "Only" around 900 miles blink.gif
Keep track of the mileage... maybe it will be 914 happy11.gif

driving.gif
PanelBilly
Great project. I wish I had started on cars a few years earlier. I was building RC cars at your age.
ruby914
QUOTE(dudzy's914 @ Jun 10 2014, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 10 2014, 09:04 PM) *

welcome.png

Lots of people don't take me serious. I'm hoping the teener community takes me in.

Your in aktion035.gif welcome.png popcorn[1].gif
dudzy's914
[quote name='Maltese Falcon' post='2048700' date='Jun 10 2014, 10:52 PM']
Great start at 14 aktion035.gif !
I worked with along with my son on his 914 when he turned 15.
My automotive interest started at age 14...in the GM Fisher Body Craftsman Guild.
Here is a block of sugar pine that I shaped into this black mid-engine, gull wing door, sports car scale model. I finally got to work on real iron in High School auto shop a couple years later !
Keep us posted with lots of pics...
dudzy's914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 10 2014, 10:59 PM) *

Hey, Finn...

You and your dad should come to the Smokies for Okteenerfest this fall. "Only" around 900 miles blink.gif
Keep track of the mileage... maybe it will be 914 happy11.gif

driving.gif

I'll try to talk him into it pray.gif
brant
Awesome. I started on the same path when I was 15 with my dad.
Still at it and racing too

Great story and great start.
My first car was too rust also and we got a second one a year later that I still own.
ChrisFoley
Finn,
Its great that you found something better so quickly!
JawjaPorsche
Welcome to the Madness. Anyone who loves 914's is a friend of mine regardless of age! (Was going to use the touching of beer glasses icon but you are too young!)
rnellums
I was just like you at 14! bought my first not knowing much about the cars and lucked out on a 73' 2.0L! Good luck and have fun!
Click to view attachment
gms
Always great to have another among us, you can carry the 914 banner for another generation.
welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png Finn- I think it is great that you are into these terrific cars. Have fun and remember to post a lot of pictures.
Chris Pincetich
welcome.png
So Finn here has a reason to act like he's 14 years old, what about the rest of the 914world clowns?? dry.gif lol-2.gif

Have fun wrenching! This cheers is root beer beerchug.gif

PlantMan
Cool Beans!

Good luck with the car!!!

welcome.png
dudzy's914
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jun 11 2014, 01:27 PM) *

welcome.png
So Finn here has a reason to act like he's 14 years old, what about the rest of the 914world clowns?? dry.gif lol-2.gif

Have fun wrenching! This cheers is root beer beerchug.gif

Chris has a point here; Ya, come on guys, shape up! slap.gif av-943.gif
jbyron
Finn! You rock dude!
dudzy's914
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jun 11 2014, 11:15 AM) *

Welcome to the Madness. Anyone who loves 914's is a friend of mine regardless of age! (Was going to use the touching of beer glasses icon but you are too young!)

THE MADNESS!!
dudzy's914
Had to work inside today, rain. The PO had smeared this rubbery coating wherever he could-this stuff is a pain. When the metal work was done, they ripped the e-brake and seat belts right out. Got the hunks of metal off them. They just put hoaky patch panels over the holes from the mounts. I need your opinions for the seat belt mounts; So I'm going to cut out the patch, (drill a hole) weld a nut to the back and weld it back in, or, make another patch (drill a hole) and weld the nut to the back, drill a hole for the nut in the existing patch and weld that panel onto the existing patch.
Socalandy
welcome.png I worked on cars with my Dad as well. Great project!!!
dudzy's914
The hoaky seat belt attachment patch.
dudzy's914
Pain in the butt rubbery stuff.
dudzy's914
Rain. Everything's inside.
dudzy's914
I need your advise.
r_towle
Finn,

Keep it up, get a grinder and wire wheels and get to work stripping it all down.

Here is a link to Rockets thread how he restored a car...

He was only a bit older than you, took his time and lots of nights, and all his spare cash....but he did this car with some help from me....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=38369

Rich
rnellums
I would suggest getting the seatbelt mounting metal off an old car out of the classifieds and welding that it. that way the threads will match and you can use the original style hardware without worry.
ChrisFoley
The correct threads for seatbelt mounting is 7/16-20. (7/16-20 and M11 x 1.25 are virtually identical btw)
Just buy some nuts at the hardware store, weld them onto small plates with a 1/2" hole, and weld the plates onto the surface after cutting a hole big enough for the nut to go inside.
That's easier than other methods and just as effective, as long as the added thickness doesn't create interference with something else.
dudzy's914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 12 2014, 12:31 PM) *

The correct threads for seatbelt mounting is 7/16-20. (7/16-20 and M11 x 1.25 are virtually identical btw)
Just buy some nuts at the hardware store, weld them onto small plates with a 1/2" hole, and weld the plates onto the surface after cutting a hole big enough for the nut to go inside.
That's easier than other methods and just as effective, as long as the added thickness doesn't create interference with something else.

I have been searching for the specs since the were no nuts or bolt for the bottom attachment.

Thanks a lot Chris!
dudzy's914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jun 12 2014, 12:12 PM) *

I would suggest getting the seatbelt mounting metal off an old car out of the classifieds and welding that it. that way the threads will match and you can use the original style hardware without worry.

the original style hardware did not come with the car.
dudzy's914
I have a black back pad for sale-$150 in the classifieds, and a 911 style rear reflector for a 914 on ebay- buy it now $200 but has a low reserve.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(dudzy's914 @ Jun 12 2014, 04:54 PM) *

What about your parts car?
BTW, the shoulder harness bolts have the same threads, so do the tunnel belt mounts.
There's also a nylon "L" shaped washer so the belt ends swivel freely without being loose.
dudzy's914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 12 2014, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(dudzy's914 @ Jun 12 2014, 04:54 PM) *

What about your parts car?
BTW, the shoulder harness bolts have the same threads, so do the tunnel belt mounts.
There's also a nylon "L" shaped washer so the belt ends swivel freely without being loose.

The bolts on the tunnel are frozen on the '74 but I may be able to snatch the top bolts and find matching nuts.
dudzy's914
Mini Christmas in July! My door catch screws, e-brake handle pin, and e-brake pivot plat arrived today. This weekend I will weld in the pivot plate and the seat belt mounting points. welder.gif
Also starting to think about wheel options. I want polished 2.0L Fuchs. Trying to maybe sell or trade(with cash too) my original sport wheels with the chrome trim ring. So if you have 4 lug alloys your willing to possibly part with, tell me.
dudzy's914
Question here,
is this foam thing supposed to be here? If so, what is it?
mobymutt
It's the footrest. I took mine off when I removed all the rotten carpeting, and I've been wondering if people keep them or not.
dudzy's914
Finally sucked it up and ordered my plasti dip. I went for the cheapest gallons I could buy, for this is only to protect the car. It should come in sometime this week. This is the color I'm aiming for;
dudzy's914
The plasti dip arrived Friday! I'm in the process of building a booth(pics to come this week). I've been prepping the body for a while and it's about time to dip it.
rnellums
I'm interested in seeing how your dipping comes out! I'm thinking about doing a plastidip paint scheme myself...
76-914
welcome.png Similar path here. My Dad bought a 56 Ford (292 V8) that needed a rebuild and gave it to me along with a "hard backed" Chilton Repair manual. Then said if you can get it running it's yours. I was 13 and determined so I had it running in < a year. He thought it would keep me busy until I was old enough to drive. He spent the next 2 years chalking the tires every time he left. lol-2.gif It's a great skill set to have in your "chest" and can become a hobby that you work on at home. And those are the best kind. beerchug.gif
dudzy's914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 21 2014, 09:30 AM) *

I'm interested in seeing how your dipping comes out! I'm thinking about doing a plastidip paint scheme myself...

Can't wait to see how it turns out myself
dudzy's914
Alright. It's been a long time since I posted. The guy who will do a little metal work was going to do it at the beginning if the summer but got caught up in work(he owns a farm). Since I was in no rush I was fine with that. That held up the process a bit. I focused on making some cabbage so I can finish this thing up this winter.

Decided to go ahead and dip it before it got cold. It is far from perfect but not bad for protection until I can afford a real paint job.

It is black, but is drying like a dark charcoal. I think it is the gloss.
dudzy's914
Update: she survived the long hard winter in her coat of Plastidip. Today I peeled it off and sent it out to paint. I have accumulated most of the part I needed to finish. We have to be out of our house by the end of the summer, so I need a buyer by then, the car will be done in the next month or two.

Thanks,
Finn
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.