Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEW 2.0L Rods..We need buyers to make this happen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Dominic
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=80648

Read the whole thread if you are interested in new and improved....(400 grams lighter) 2.0L rods for your 914.

Jake is talking about $280.00 a set, but it won't happen unless he gets enough buyers lined up. IPB Image
For that price you could afford to put a set on the shelf and keep them for the next rebuild. IPB Image

I'm buying at least 2 sets....who else wants to see this happen ?
IPB Image
rhodyguy
my goal is eventually put together a 2056, for a number of reasons. they would have to be set up for the 71mm stroke. do you think the performance gain will be worth the cost? i'm waiting to see what will be available and what items are going to cost when jake's store is open.

kevin
Jake Raby
If it wasn't worth the cost I would not be attempting this..
The weakest link in a TIV is those heavy ass rods that cost 140 bucks just to outfit with better bolts.

These rods are a 100% stock replacement, just 400 grams lighter with a 300% stronger bolt.

I have to buy 500 rods to get them made at all, and trust me, thats a chunk of moolah!

These rods selling for 280 bucks a set are cheaper than a rebuilt set of upgraded stock rods, those run 325.00 and are no where near as strong!

I have ran rods with these same characteristics in 300+ HP Turbo engines, with just using an upgraded bolts.
rhodyguy
tempted. how's it going to work? pay upfront and wait, comitt and you wait? will these be a billet item or cast?

kevin
Jake Raby
The rods are an H Beam design, totally forged rod similar in design to a Carrillo.

I don't want ANY money till I have atleast buyers for 50 sets, then I'll get the money and we'll have rods in about a month..
ablose58
I am in for a set IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
McMark
I'm in for a set. 500 is only 125 sets. Heh heh heh, I said only. IPB Image
Jake Raby
Yeah...... Its only more money than I actually pocketed all last year for those 125 sets, even if I pre sell 50 of them!!

Unless you are the owner of a hack shop that cranks engines out left and right this isn't a very lucrative business.
Rick_Eberle
Can these rods be used with a longer stroke than 71mm??? Or are they too short?I'm thinking 74-76mm.

Rick
Walter
Hi Jake,

Is it a 24mm (stock) or 22mm piston pin?
(strange nobody asked before)

Thanks,
Walter
Mark Henry
Good question Walter! IPB Image
Jake Raby
THESE PARTICULAR RODS ARE AN EXACT COPY OF THE 2.0 TYPE 4 ROD!!!!!

SAME LENGTH
SAME BIG END
SAME SMALL END

BUT, 400 grams lighter, H Beam style and equipped with 8740 ARP bolts as standard equipment.

In my opinion the standard length 2.0 rod should be avoided when stroking due to the piston velocities that they create. Sure it can be used, but it will not have the efficiency or rev capability as a proper length rod. When stroking we totally get away from the 2.0 rod journal any way simply because the only bearing available for it is a Bi- Metal OEM unit that can't take alot of point load due to its material and diameter. When stroking we add rod length to correct the rod ratio AND change journal characteristics to allow the use of a better bearing. Hell, my 2316 engines use the EXACT same bearing that NASCAR runs!

We need a rod thats a stock 2.0 replacements- Thats what these are! A set of 2.0 cores costs as much as these do not including having them just rebuilt to stock specs!

I can make any rod, any length, just have to do 500 the same at one pop. I already have my own rods made for my 2270 and 2316 combos.....

This is the reason I have been so cautious about going forward with these, because I won't use many of them myself simply because almost everything we build is a stroker.
Walter
Thanks Jake!
I was afraid you were going to say 22mm pin because so many aftermarket manufactorers use a piston with 22mm small end pin.
Bushing 24mm to 22mm is of course much more easy than the other way around IPB Image so they will still be more universal that way!

I still have a nice set of 6000km used JE's 96mm/barrels with the 24mm pin, so I am pleased to hear this and am in for a set also if they will be available within reasonable time (say 6 months or so) IPB Image

Thanks,
Walter
Jake Raby
I don't use a 22 pin till we add stroke......

Then everything gets a 22mm pin.

I just need enough people to commit to buy them.

So far I only have 18 takers and MUST have 50 to do the deal.
type11969
jake, how would one go about getting on the list?

-Chris
Jake Raby
I am setting up an email account just for it...
william harris
Now if I could get somebody to commit to build my motor, I might be interested. Jake is way too busy. No knocks, busy means he is good, but I just can't see getting on the one year waiting list. I was real excited about the Kit Carlson fuel injection, but that seems to have faded away - again! So, now that my damn car is finally getting painted and I got my absolutely perfectly restored main wiring harness (yeah the whole damn thing down to the fuse panel, switches, you name it) restored by good ole Bowlsby and all the harnesses (fuel injection, alternator, etc) that Bowlsby makes - I said to hell with it I will just go back with the D-Jet, so it seems like a close to stock rebuild it will be. Then I still got to find someone to work on the 2.0 heads. Anyhow, for 100 hp how does this make sense? How come everybody likes these cars but nobody (at least nobody close by this frigid berg we call Massachusetts) wants to work on them? Raby, I wish to hell I was in GA, I'd drop the motor off on your door step and come get it in December? God, the 4 degrees outside is getting to me. At least we got the Patriots! IPB Image
Jake Raby
William,
The Kit Carlson system has not faded away.

The designer has been very busy with all the details. Making a quality product or kit takes time. He also is an engineer and not a businessman so he had alot of things to do to set up his business and book work- etc...

I talk to him weekly as I continue to test his system and he never talks about not selling the system. I sometimes think its hard for guys to understand just how complex things are when trying to satisfy the buying public these days.

As for my engines:
For the first time EVER I have been able to pinpoint a scheduled engine build down to the week it will be finished. Currently the backlog is 33 engines and that puts us into the 3rd week of September for a delivery date. Its not a full year, although it has been before.

I chose long ago to limit the number of engines we build and provide more quality through more man hours spent on the design and assembly and even the testing of the engine. It takes 80 man hours between Brent and I to create on of our standard engines and up to 120 for a SuperHero.

I have no conmcern with doing a huge amount of engines. In 1997 we did 70 engines, last year we only did 40. The 40 of last year were WAY more developed than the 70 in 1997. Every year I want to keep dropping our volume and upping the quality and development. Hell I will be happy the day that I can build 10 engines per year and make them absolute bad ass... All while supplying the rest of the world with the best parts and designs available for the to do their own work.

The services I offer are unavailable anywhere else. The combos I have designed and the testing put into them is unparalleled. No one else has the coating technology, valve train parts, head specs and overall performance combinations that I do... Thats because they are concerned with volume numbers and keeping 20 employees paid.....

Here its just Brent and I....

Just wait till February and you'll be able to have a "Raby inspired" engine easier than ever before.... Just without our assembly!
TheCabinetmaker
You can sign me up for a set, and a set of 96mm KB pistons and suitable ring set too. IPB Image
Rocky
Jake, I like the fact they are stock configuration lighter and stronger. Us Gig Harbor boyz like speed. IPB Image Count me in for a set. rocking nana.gif

Tim
william harris
Jake: Glad to hear the Kit Carlson project is still moving forward. I will definitely wait to February for the details of the new project you have up your sleeve. Man, this warms me up even if it is 0 outside today. My garage door is frozen to the floor!!! IPB Image
rhodyguy
i'm in.

kevin
william harris
OK, Chris Foley says I'm in. IPB Image He's the man! IPB Image
Jake Raby
Okay guys.

I set up this email address to help manage my product development lists better.

productdevelopment@aircooledtechnology.com

Go ahead and send an email to this account and as the list gets longer and more happens I'll be able to keep you in the queue without taking up forum space..

I really want to make these rods happen and we can do it as long as I sell the 50 sets.
Dominic
Lets get this going! IPB Image

IPB Image Jake is the man!
Bleyseng
How many are sold now??

Geoff
Jake Raby
Not even 25 sets...

Need atleast 25 more.
eeyore
I think I'd buy a set (or two?), depending on how things are going with Jake's roller lifters. It'd be neat to build a screaming 2056 (or 71x98?).
anthony
96mm jugs for a 2056. Jake, I'm waiting 7 days to see what's up at your new online store before I say yes on this deal. I'm thinking that I'd rather have a 2270.
914werke
I think I like to go that route as well but the first step is make it run ...Im in. IPB Image
Jake Raby
still need 17 more sets sold before we can do it!
Mueller
If you don't need the money for a weeks away, count me in for one set......
Bleyseng
Yup. me too for a set.

Geoff IPB Image
Jake Raby
15 more to go...
Bleyseng
come on guys.... IPB Image
Jake Raby
13 more to go....
ChrisFoley
Count me in for one set!
Jake Raby
send me the email Chris

productdevelopment@aircooledtechnology.com

12 more to go!
Dominic
Bump! 12 More to go! IPB Image
Bleyseng
I can't believe no one else is signing up.... IPB Image
Mueller
this is a killer price people....I was looking at aftermarket stock sized rods for a Subaru and they want $500 for all 4 rods !!!!!...ouch.....so much for thinking the import stuff would be cheaper...
anthony
Waiting to see Jake's online store before I decide. T minus what? 3 days?
eeyore
I don't think the store will make a difference, since both these rods and the store are brought to you by Jake. What options are there compared to this? Rebuilt rods for $210, plus cores.
Bleyseng
plus you can use a std 2.0 crank without getting a special one with chebbie or type 1 rod journals. This is a bargain boys....

Geoff rocking nana.gif

Watch, as soon as Jake sells the 50 sets, 3 months later, there will be 20 guys wanting to buy them.
anthony
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Jan 27 2005, 09:15 AM)
I don't think the store will make a difference, since both these rods and the store are brought to you by Jake.  What options are there compared to this?  Rebuilt rods for $210, plus cores.

I had been thinking of building a 2056 and these rods would be perfect but now I'm thinking of moving up to a 2270 or 2316. I just want to see what pricing will be like on a kit from Jake before committing to a 2056.
eeyore
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 27 2005, 08:20 AM)
Watch, as soon as Jake sells the 50 sets, 3 months later, there will be 20 guys wanting to buy them.

I have the same feeling, making me ponder signing up for a 2nd set. Of course Jake has an additional 75 sets besides 'our' 50.
anthony
Once people sign up for 50 sets the problem will be getting them all to pay. Lots of people often say they want in on group buys but getting them to seal the deal always seems to be a problem.
rhodyguy
bump. you can't do this with 40 sets confirmed?

kevin
Bleyseng
Anthony, I am moving to a 2366cc with the 103mm Nikkies and using the stock 2.0l crank. Should be a rev er as I am too cheap to buy a new crank and rods to set up a 2270.

Geoff
eeyore
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 27 2005, 08:41 AM)
I am moving to a 2366cc with the 103mm Nikkies and using the stock 2.0l crank. Should be a rev er as I am too cheap to buy a new crank and rods to set up a 2270.

103x71 mm w/Nickies vs 96x78mm w/iron cylinders. Drastic price diff?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.