Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Ok, I spent 2 years getting my 914 welded up and the engine is working great. I enjoy driving it, with one exception. The tranny grinds and even sometimes crunches down shifting to 2nd and a little to 3rd.

I have gone thru all the possible adjustments but nothing helps, so it is INTERNAL.

I bought a core tranny, watched Dr Evil's video several times and then took the core unit apart. I hoped to find a bunch of good parts or even a good tranny.... NOT.

So now I have a tranny in the car that I do drive and it grinds, and crunches on most shifts. And another tranny totally taken apart with only a few decent parts.

Should I rebuild the one that is in need of nearly all new parts, or pull the one out of the car and see what can be salvaged? and rebuild that one?

I figured I could keep driving the car if I rebuilt the core...... But if all goes well I could rebuild the one in the car in a few days or a week once I have all the parts.

What do you guys think?

Pix of some core parts:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

JawjaPorsche
Calling Dr. Evil. Calling Dr. Evil.......
Cap'n Krusty
Junk. All junk.

The Cap'n
malcolm2
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 12 2014, 02:04 PM) *

Junk. All junk.

The Cap'n

I know (most) of the pix are of bad parts from the core..... DR evil has seen and chimed in on the pictures.

But should I rebuild a tranny that is crap and taken apart, WHILE I continue to drive to work 3 to 4 days a week.

OR

Shut down the driving and rebuild a tranny that also has some crap parts maybe not as many. But basically take a few weeks off from driving and rebuild the tranny in the car.
malcolm2
Crap. It has been so long since I KD'd the core, I forgot that the bearing fell apart. So that answers my question. I will need to pull the tranny out of my car and crack it open, start fresh. Just have to stop driving for a while.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.