Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WATERBOXER
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 4 Unleashed
Says, it's a 2474, 205 HP at the wheels, Alt is a Suzuki GSXR 1100, hidden radiator. This is different. Made in Germany.

Richard
Type 4 Unleashed
PIC 2
DJsRepS
The block looks simular to our 914's, the tranny hook up and the dist same place. What motor is this water cooled beast? VW/Por Boxter/not.
Walter
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Jan 18 2005, 04:15 AM)
What motor is this water cooled beast? VW/Por Boxter/not.

Vanagon based. T3 Buses.
Originally 2,1 ltr (94x76,4) and the best ones had 112 hp in Europe.
Oettinger made 98x82 versions which had about 140 hp IIRC.
204 hp seems extremly high in that respect.

Regards,
Walter
DJsRepS
Will it bolt into a 914?
Mueller
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Jan 19 2005, 05:35 AM)
Will it bolt into a 914?

look at the exhuast...that would be the most difficult part in my opinion...the rest should be pretty easy, just new brackets and such...and of course the radiator...

i'd put in a subaru motor before I installed a vanagon engine in my car
Root_Werks
I read an artical not that long ago about someone putting a bus waterboxer in a type1. Wasn't 200hp, but very nicely done. Just the way the type1 is set up, you would think it money ahead to put in a 180hp air cooled engine from Scat or something? Seems like the plumbing would "hack" the little bug up?

I put a 914 1.7 into a 66' bug when I was in high school. It was the quickest bug around back then. IPB Image
davesprinkle
The waterboxer engines ran the head studs through the water jacket. A typical failure mode was for the studs to rust and subsequently break. VW specified a special antifreeze to prevent this failure, but many owners didn't use it and so a lot of these engines suffer from compression leaks, oil leaks, water leaks, etc. -- all the symptoms you might expect from a broken head stud. Just something to consider, should you be tempted by a cheap, high-mileage waterboxer...
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (davesprinkle @ Jan 19 2005, 08:28 AM)
The waterboxer engines ran the head studs through the water jacket. A typical failure mode was for the studs to rust and subsequently break. VW specified a special antifreeze to prevent this failure, but many owners didn't use it and so a lot of these engines suffer from compression leaks, oil leaks, water leaks, etc. -- all the symptoms you might expect from a broken head stud. Just something to consider, should you be tempted by a cheap, high-mileage waterboxer...

This is exactly why the Vanagons with those engines do the Subaru swap. I was looking at a late 80's Vanagon a couple of years ago and when i was figuring maintenance costs I included the cost of putting doing the subby swap. Cause I knew the waterboxer would go at some point.

Didn't buy it though, guy thought it was worth to much.

Sean
bernbomb914
will a waterboxer 76.4 crankshaft fit a type 4 case?. and are they strong enough if they fit?

Bernie
Walter
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Jan 19 2005, 09:51 AM)
will a waterboxer 76.4 crankshaft fit a type 4 case?. and are they strong enough if they fit?

Bernie

The waterboxer 76,4mm cranks are the strongest cranks ever made. They will fit a type 1, but not a type 4. They do have the same 5 bolt flywheel connection like the type 4 tho. Type 4 flywheels will fit therefore IPB Image On the other hand, stock the wbx's have a very nice 228mm forged flywheel.
Very nice engines, especially the case is a beauty. All alu like the type 4 with spun on filter and about 5 liter sump as standard IPB Image

Regards,
Walter
Type 4
The crank wont fit a Type 4 But they go right in a Type 1 case.

I use the WBX crank and 90.5 pistons for my type 1 bus engines.
balthazar
I tend to agree with the conclusion that a WBX engine is just a failure waiting to happen, although my experience is different. They start to get coolant into the combustion chamber, and then it's all over. The Sooby is the conversion of choice, and consequently, the cheapest route.

When I bought my Kombi in 1996, it had 85k on it and thankfully, the PO had kept it in immaculate condition. I have reciepts all the way back to 86' to include the original window sticker! Since then I have put a zillion miles on it and it still pulls strong. I routinely drove it from state to state on business. By far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

I guess the point is if you take good care of them, and follow up on maintainance, they can be a reliable engine. The problem here is that people don't read the manual, and there is no telling what the PO did with the vehicle. This gives the design an unfair reputation. I too was planning on doing the sooby convert when the engine blew out, but I have not had the chance as she will not die! All hail the super WBX! IPB Image
balthazar
1986 VW Kombi Wasserboxer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.