Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: both doors wont open
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmdinmd
WTF.gif everything was working fine 3 weeks ago. went to open the doors and niether one will open, they are not locked. I have already previously replaced the cam mech, cleaned and lubed them and everything was working fine, door gap seems ok. no clue what happened. confused24.gif

Any suggestions on how to get door open with out doing damage?

TIA

Rick
Steve
long coat hanger from the opposite side. Never heard of this problem before. Usually its when you lock your keys in the car.
Dr Evil
Is it sagging?
jmill
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 14 2014, 11:51 AM) *

Is it sagging?

That would suck.

You can check though. Put a jack under the body just forward of the rear of the door. Jack the car up a bit to relieve stress and door should open. Then close door before your car folds in half.
bandjoey
Since they are not locked an it's both doors it sure sounds like a sagging body. Call Scotty for repairs. Good luck. sad.gif
rmdinmd
ok, got the doors open. piratenanner.gif Persistance paid off along with some hard jiggles. biggrin.gif
It isn't sagging , (saw that thread doing a search sad.gif , glad it didn't apply ) but the latch doesn't want to release. It doestn't release freely working it with the door open. I am just going to leave the window open for now. will have to take it back apart and might see about replacing the spring. I had already cleaned both sides with a toothbrush and break cleaner and then ran the passenger side through an ultra sonic cleaner for about a half an hour or better so you would think it would be clean.

I just have a project to work on to figure this out.
Harpo
Glad to hear that the problem is not sagging. That would be an expensive repair.

David evilgrin.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Jun 14 2014, 01:43 PM) *

ok, got the doors open. piratenanner.gif Persistance paid off along with some hard jiggles. biggrin.gif
It isn't sagging , (saw that thread doing a search sad.gif , glad it didn't apply ) but the latch doesn't want to release. It doestn't release freely working it with the door open. I am just going to leave the window open for now. will have to take it back apart and might see about replacing the spring. I had already cleaned both sides with a toothbrush and break cleaner and then ran the passenger side through an ultra sonic cleaner for about a half an hour or better so you would think it would be clean.

Mine did this, if I pushed in on the door slightly as I pulled the latch, they opened. . much lubrication and some minor adjustments corrected the problem
Valy
QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Jun 14 2014, 01:43 PM) *

Been there with the ultrasonic cleaner . they don't like it much and tend to get stuck after a while. You need to grease them good and maybe replate to prevent corrosion .
I noticed that in my case the door lock was not completely closed so pushing the door close helped release the mechanism and then the door could be opened normally from the external handle.
rmdinmd
Ok;
I found a gallon jug of penetrating oil and soaked the lock mechinisms in it for several hours working them at times.

That seems to have done the trick as both handles open the doors easier then ever and I can lock and unlock the doors easy also.

So hopefully that will solve the problem as they should be well lubed and the oil even extracted some more dirt. time will tell but I will leave a window open until I am sure.

So lesson learned, make sure you have it WELL LUBED and just spraying it won't do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.