Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: touble changing ignition switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pda914
I'm in the process of changing the ignistion switch. The start contact are burnd and do not ignite the starter motor. I have all the parts removed but the key assembly does not slide out. I have the keys in there and turned to release the wheel lock but I can not get it out. It seems that there is something that is holding it in place. It moves about a 1/32 in, and stops. Could the wheel lock not be fully disengaging? I put the steering wheel back on and it turns so it puzzles me on what is stopiong it.

Anyone have some advice on hwo to safely get the key assembly out so I can replace ths electical switch part?
pda914
please ignore my bad typing!
flash914
There should be a rule that states you must post what year car you are working on. The switch comes out the back side if I remember correctly. That means you need to take the whole column out of the car and remove the steering shaft from the center of the "housing" I have a extra housing off a 70 if I could find it I would double check. Gordon
TheCabinetmaker
No Gordon. It comes out the front.
orthobiz
Ignition Switch

Pelican article...

Paul
Dave_Darling
70-71 and 75+ are different from the article. Hopefully someone who knows those will chime in. I have the feeling that the OP has a 75+ car; I thought I remembered ejm saying something about drilling the housing? I'm not sure...

--DD
eyesright
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 14 2014, 06:55 PM) *

70-71 and 75+ are different from the article. Hopefully someone who knows those will chime in. I have the feeling that the OP has a 75+ car; I thought I remembered ejm saying something about drilling the housing? I'm not sure...

--DD

I drilled out the cylinder of my '70 column. It was a foreign VW part for which I had no key.

On this '70, the cylinder and wheel lock mechanism pulled out the front leaving the switch behind. The wires are a part of the early switch and connect to the harness in the oblivion under the dash.

On later models, the cylinder and wheel lock mechanism also pull out the front and the switch comes with it after you disconnect the wires from the rear of the switch itself. The switch is a replaceable white plastic dohicky with several wiring harness connector tabs on the back. This is how my '72 was.

BTW, I can now turn the switch on my '70 with a screwdriver. I need a cylinder and key if anybody has a spare...? I hate to get another VW part if the keys are a different style and don't match the door.
SLITS
'75 - '76 Electrical Portion Replacement
pda914
I did follow this article in my attempt to get it out. I am stuck at figure 11. No mater what jiggling I do the assembly is stuck. I can get it out about onl a 1/32 of an inch. I can see that the steering lock does retract.

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 14 2014, 08:40 PM) *

Ignition Switch

Pelican article...

Paul

hndyhrr
We had a heck of a time getting that out. Ended up taking whole housing off steering column.
hndyhrr
[quote name='hndyhrr' date='Jun 15 2014, 09:08 AM' post='2050436']
We had a heck of a time getting that out. Ended up taking whole housing off steering column

i have a 1970

JRust
Post pictures of where you are at. Maybe you've missed something we can spot in the picture?
Chris H.
And what year is it?
hndyhrr
as mentioned before pumpkin is a 70, here is a pic. tumbler assy is out and this is top of switch. notice the loop (lack of better description) well there is a screw that goes from tumbler assy into that (holds it all together) you have to pull on whole assy to get it far enough out to see screw. we had to unhook the electric and pull it all the way out of car what a pita. hope pic helps

Click to view attachment
pda914
I had to pry the whole assemb;y off. If fit rather tight but that did it the key assembly now is out.

And for other questions it is a 73.

Thanks everyone!

QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Jun 15 2014, 11:08 AM) *

We had a heck of a time getting that out. Ended up taking whole housing off steering column.

Kraftwerk
I am about to dive into my electrical starter switch, 1971. I will let you know how it goes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.