jim_hoyland
Special oil ? Anyone have an opinion on this:
carr914
probably $15 a Quart!

Can looks cool though
JRust
10w60 is a new one for me. Never seen that weight before confused24.gif
Johny Blackstain
Again I have to ask, how can they justify this when there is a boatload of 911s out there w/ this sticker in the engine compartment?
Qarl
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 16 2014, 09:52 AM) *

Again I have to ask, how can they justify this when there is a boatload of 911s out there w/ this sticker in the engine compartment?

It's designed for the older engines with older alloys, different seals and seal materials, and less precise tolerances. I think that is the reason, from what I read in the Original post. LOL

Newer synthetics probably work better in the newer technology engines.
worn
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 16 2014, 05:47 AM) *

10w60 is a new one for me. Never seen that weight before confused24.gif

I understood that 10-40 was beyond realistic expectations already. Covering 10/60 is quite something.
PotterPorsche
I like using Brad Penn 20-50 on older engines, or engines I know no history of. I use 10-30 on new engines with tighter tolerances
KELTY360
Don't be silly...it was obviously designed for Real Porsches. dry.gif
Reno914
Found it here, but currently is on Back-Order.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU20...=newproductpage

price is $13.65 per

Reno
seareef228
QUOTE(Reno914 @ Jun 16 2014, 03:33 PM) *

price is $13.65 per

Reno

Alanta has it for 10 bucks a qt
monkeyboy
Ten bucks a quart isn't bad if it's a high zinc oil designed for our engines.
Justinp71
I've been hearing really good things about Delo 400, Henry Schmidt that runs Supertec uses it exclusively- http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-...-detergent.html
skier2.0
Tolerances - check them basically no differences-check the spec books, mains,rods,end play,ring gaps etc,etc all the same. Old wives tale just BS based on no facts.
BMW has been using 10-60 on some of their M motors for years.
Flat tappet engines 356,914,912e like extra ZDDP to prolong cam and lifter life. 6 Cyl engines don't need the extra ZDDP and any with a Cat converter should use an oil with lower ZDDP count. Just contact any oil co's tech line for the real information.
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 16 2014, 06:42 AM) *

probably $15 a Quart!

Can looks cool though

QUOTE(Reno914 @ Jun 16 2014, 06:33 PM) *

price is $13.65 per

Reno

I wasn't far off!
monkeyboy
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 17 2014, 09:45 AM) *

I've been hearing really good things about Delo 400, Henry Schmidt that runs Supertec uses it exclusively- http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-...-detergent.html

Delo might work well in a 6, but I would not run it in a 4. Flat tappet cams need more zinc and phosphorus. Delo has little of that anymore. They cut back on the diesel engine oils a couple of years ago.
AZ914
I'd buy a quart just for the can, then fill it with my usual stuff, keep it in the frunk.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jun 17 2014, 02:47 PM) *

I'd buy a quart just for the can, then fill it with my usual stuff, keep it in the frunk.

I like that; I'll grab on of the quart display cans; I think they are already empty
Justinp71
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jun 17 2014, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 17 2014, 09:45 AM) *

Delo might work well in a 6, but I would not run it in a 4. Flat tappet cams need more zinc and phosphorus. Delo has little of that anymore. They cut back on the diesel engine oils a couple of years ago.

It had the highest zinc and phosphorus in this test done last year- http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/HD...UMMARYrev2.html
914_teener
No teener on the can.....

Not in my car.
Jake Raby
We'll soon know exactly what the composition of this oil is. More than likely we already know who is making the additive package, its just a matter of confirming some suspicions.

Its a great thing that Porsche did releasing this oil. Between the release and the text on their site describing the oil a vehicle manufacturer has finally admitted that modern oils are not optimum for vintage engines.

Thanks guys, you proved what we've been trying to tell people since 2001.

I expect the 10/60 to have an incredible amount of shear. We shall see.
GeorgeRud
Though Porsche is giving a technical talk about the oils on Friday at the Parade, the basic information they've shared so far is that the 10-60 is for the engines 3.0 liters and up (basically the 911SCs and on), and the 20-50 is formulated for all the older cars (both 4 and 6 cylinders). I hope they might have more information for us on Friday.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 17 2014, 11:12 PM) *

Though Porsche is giving a technical talk about the oils on Friday at the Parade, the basic information they've shared so far is that the 10-60 is for the engines 3.0 liters and up (basically the 911SCs and on), and the 20-50 is formulated for all the older cars (both 4 and 6 cylinders). I hope they might have more information for us on Friday.

Because they know that at temperature the 10/60 will shear to a 15/50, which is more along the lines of what the original specifications were when the cars were new.

BMW uses a 10/60 in VANOS equipped engines, I have been working with Lake Speed at Joe Gibbs DRIVEN Racing Oils on a BMW 10/60 for a while as we develop the S54 and newer engines. Currently only 3 other companies offer a 10/60, and all are marginal at best, with Redline being the best thing out there so far. Because of all the 10/60 development we have a ton of comparatives.

I was asked to be a presenter at 2014 Parade, but I retracted when I found out that my content would be censored. They already had me on the schedule for Friday before I found it out. I'll never be censored, and will always share what I find, exactly as its found, whether its positive or negative.
larryM
just buy a good diesel spec (API "C") multi-grade - it has enuf zinc

newer Mobil 1 formulas are not zinc rich cuz they are designed for CAT-equipped modern cars - don't go there

lots of 911 builders - shops recommend Shell Rotella T 15w-40 for our old engines

AND - you can get it at WALMART !!
GeorgeRud
I listened to both the Mobil 1 and the Porsche Classic talks on oils. The Mobil 1 presenter was quite good, and seemed to indicate that their 20-50 weight formulation had more ZDDP than the other weights, so would be appropriate for us to use. The Porsche oil presentation was more of a commercial, and didn't give any specifics on the formulations of their oils (or who actually makes the oil for them).

It will be interesting to see what the specs actually measure on the new Porsche Classic oils. I did purchase a few (as gifts for friends as the cans are really pretty neat).

And of course, in Porsche tradition, you have to buy the oil change sticker separately as it's not included with the oil.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(larryM @ Jun 21 2014, 11:21 AM) *

just buy a good diesel spec (API "C") multi-grade - it has enuf zinc

I don't believe that is the case any more in the most recent one or two API grades. sad.gif

lots of 911 builders - shops recommend Shell Rotella T 15w-40 for our old engines

Our mechanic used to use it, but he no longer does, because they reduced the ZDDP levels in it.

--DD
Jake Raby
Beginning in 2007 when Diesel engines salting using low sulfur fuels, the oils changed.

Also, since Diesel engines do not see RPM more than 3K generally, the oils often lack anti- foaming characteristics.
Dtjaden
Mobil also stated in the tech session at the parade that their Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-W50 was the oil specifically made for air cooled engines (even if it was motorcycles) and would be a very good choice for air cooled Porsche engines. 1900-2000 ppm of zddp.

According to the Porsche product manager Porsche classic oil, 20-W50, which is the oil they recommend for air cooled engines, has about 900 ppm of of zddp but has other additives to promote the wear and lubrication characteristics needed. Molybdenum was specifically mentioned as one additive in the oil.

The 10-60 Porsche classic oil was only recommended for water cooled engines.
GeorgeRud
Actually, the 10W-60 was designed for all the engines from 3.0 and up, so the 911SC and Carrera should be able to use it as well.

I think I'll wait a while before changing from my Kendall titanium.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.