Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magnus Walker Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
KELTY360
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Dec 7 2014, 09:17 AM) *

Click to view attachment

In fact,an anecdote re: ph of coolant.
A series of critical rms billet baseplanes failed xray.
Etching of sufaces by contaminated coolant theatened a ceasework.
BirdCol. came into the shop the next week gave a greenlight.
Tre expensive lesson,maintain thy machine.
Cause:Ignorant former employee was dumping into the machines with lunch discards.
2500 a barrel for http://jokisch-fluids.de/..
For our application the global standard.
100% control,each employee was required to endorse a waiver.
2000gal tank farm for filtration+temp control.
Solved the problem at massive expense to maintain delivery sheds.
Heat-treat bookings were made 10mo ahead.
TicToc.

http://www.matsuura.co.jp/
http://www.cinmac.com/
http://www.nakamura-tome.co.jp/e/
At that time '80-'91.

Just one question.....what color is the sky on your planet?
veekry9
I see a guy working hard to make a buck.
Where's the prob?

Magnus:
"Though I’ve been sharing for years my love of Porsche’s iconic 911 with anyone willing to give a listen, this is the first time (t-shirts, hats, etc. notwithstanding) I’m putting my name on a product and offering it for sale.

It’s not that I haven’t thought of cool parts I think the market needs, or been approached by manufacturers looking to team up with me – I have – it’s just that I’m about as picky as someone gets when it comes to this sort of thing. And for the most part I’ve been plenty happy doing my own thing to my own cars and not really worrying about whether or not other people approve."

I dig that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDQrMoksJ4Q

Chris914n6
There were a few older 911s with his wheels at 2014 SEMA.
To me it says... Porsche, but custom. I don't love it or hate it.

IPB Image
Chris914n6
Double click.
euro911
In today's world, just about anybody who becomes successful or gains notoriety, will end up with a lot of detractors.

The man came from meager beginnings, but has turned his dreams into a successful story. I applaud him for sticking with it.

beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Dec 7 2014, 09:17 AM) *

In fact,an anecdote re: ph of coolant.
A series of critical rms billet baseplanes failed xray.
Etching of sufaces by contaminated coolant theatened a ceasework.

If you walk into a m/c shop that smells shitty,leave.

Coolant goes bad...not the end of the world...

Thousands of parts made daily in not so ideal conditions...

While I'd rather not deal with old, stinky coolant it happens...luckily I change my clothes before I go home!
veekry9
No doubt,I have had the dubious pleasure of working in septic conditions later with the heavy gear
Need an f-n spacesuit.It's toxic,deadly.And its spraying and misting.gag.
I was sure I saw a few turds floating by occasionally.
A respirator helps.

stromberg.gif... stromberg.gif... stromberg.gif
lonewolfe
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 1 2014, 01:17 PM) *

anti walker design lol-2.gif

What wheel is this with the square cutouts? Looks like a Fuchs but without the hearts.
Larmo63
I like the wheels, but I'm not real keen on the gold.

Also, I agree with Mark, this guy came here and worked hard, now he is enjoying the fruits of his labor.
pisces914
sorry for my ambivalence, as i don't want to have an anti magnus pile on, and i want to have a respectful discussion - but everyone is entitled to their own opinion - what rubbed me the wrong way was that magnus started his online presence with his initial thread on pelican and he looked to be a real authentic enthusiast, one of the guys - when he started his marketing campaign with the videos and products, i kinda felt duped, as if he was just laying the groundwork for what strikes me as a very contrived business plan - yes he works hard, and from my limited experience, and from those who i know, who know him better, he is a very nice guy - he is clearly successful - but for those who believe that "his" mods are his original creations, i simply disagree - just show up at any r gruppe gathering, and you'll see guys who were doing these mods for decades prior, and who never tried to gain and fortune from their hobby - also, this is only anecdotal, but it seems like the die hard magnus supporters are always socal guys - every part of the country has its own culture flag.gif , and magnus seems to rub the socal guys the right way . . .
scotty b
QUOTE(pisces914 @ Dec 7 2014, 01:20 PM) *

sorry for my ambivalence, as i don't want to have an anti magnus pile on, and i want to have a respectful discussion - but everyone is entitled to their own opinion - what rubbed me the wrong way was that magnus started his online presence with his initial thread on pelican and he looked to be a real authentic enthusiast, one of the guys - when he started his marketing campaign with the videos and products, i kinda felt duped, as if he was just laying the groundwork for what strikes me as a very contrived business plan - yes he works hard, and from my limited experience, and from those who i know, who know him better, he is a very nice guy - he is clearly successful - but for those who believe that "his" mods are his original creations, i simply disagree - just show up at any r gruppe gathering, and you'll see guys who were doing these mods for decades prior, and who never tried to gain and fortune from their hobby - also, this is only anecdotal, but it seems like the die hard magnus supporters are always socal guys - every part of the country has its own culture flag.gif , and magnus seems to rub the socal guys the right way . . .

agree.gif This is many peoples issue. He has pretty much been run off the S registry for the constant self promotion, and ZERO activity within the community ( outside of HIS thread ) To clear the air, the guy made his living in clothing design not Porsches. They are/were a side thing. His auto design hobby turned on a couple people in the P world and he ran with it. I'll take Jack Olsens 911 over one of Maggies any day of the week smile.gif
veekry9
QUOTE(pisces914 @ Dec 7 2014, 04:20 PM) *

sorry for my ambivalence, ....

.....but it seems like the die hard magnus supporters are always socal guys - every part of the country has its own culture flag.gif , and magnus seems to rub the socal guys the right way . . .

Well,hell yeah,it's the center of the Universe for a custom ride,has been since,like,forever.
That his appearance is heavymetal seems disconcerting to some.
That sums my data.
I happened to have cad-cammed a similar wheel this past spring.Nothing to it.
A done deal makes it simpler to merely order what I want from them.
Seen earlier on PIX.
I call them FourFuchs.
pisces914
[/quote]
agree.gif This is many peoples issue. He has pretty much been run off the S registry for the constant self promotion, and ZERO activity within the community ( outside of HIS thread ) smile.gif
[/quote]

i belong to a bunch of online communities, but i usually run out of time to follow everything, and i rarely post - i didn't know about what happened on the s registry, but it doesn't surprise me - i'm an r gruppe member, and so was magnus, until he he bailed - this is pure speculation on my part, but i felt that he didn't want to stay in r gruppe because he couldn't take credit for "his" mods there - in fact, i believe he picked up most of his inspiration for "his" mods from r gruppe and from the emorys - he does know how to expertly play the media, with his trademark poses for different shots - if you look, you'll see he has a pose when seated, a pose when standing, and if it's not a seating or standing shot, he makes sure to do the ronnie james dio hand sign aktion035.gif

i kinda like the wheels, in different finished for the application, although another poster was dead on with the dating game reference - unfortunately, if you run those wheels, you just look like a magnus walker clone (the all black does this the least)

i hate to repeat myself from other threads, but i wonder how many guys who gained fame and fortune from these early porsches would still be in the game if there was no money in it, like fifteen years ago? icon14.gif
pisces914
[/quote]

Well,hell yeah,it's the center of the Universe for a custom ride,has been since,like,forever.
[/quote]

i agree 100% - you guys have all of the enviable factors to make that happen, i.e., the weather, the entertainment industry, the music industry, etc!

i always enjoy my time down in socal!
veekry9
The land is thick with innovation.
Isky,Edelbrock,Donovan,Crower.............n.
Weather,Palms,Pacific,Sierras,Hollyrood....n
n
n
n
bye1.gif

veekry9
What sensitivities are you referring to?
S registry are vehicle owners.
R Gruppe are vehicle owners.
Vendors vend.
And?
pisces914
[/quote]

Just one question.....what color is the sky on your planet?
[/quote]

agree.gif

maybe the answer is here:

http://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/
euro911
Mr. Walker's past is similar to mine, in regards to Porsches. I dreamed of owning a 911 since I was 10 as well, since I first saw one in one of the automotive magazines my older brothers subscribed to. I purchased my first SWB 911 when I was 23 (in 1977), and still own it today (along with two other SWB 901 series cars) - and although I didn't look quite like Mr. Walker, I didn't exactly fit in with the somewhat elite crowd as it existed back then either.

I appreciated the car for how it handled and how it made me feel driving it through the twisties, not the status symbol it represented to some (probably most) of the other owners.

My passion for the 911's evolution fell by the wayside when they went to the longer wheelbase and accordion bumper models confused24.gif ... kind of like always loving your first girlfriend. Even though I realize the newer models are much more superior, technologically, I will probably never own one later than a '67.

I've never met the man, personally, just shared some emails relating to early SWB 911s. I think he is proud of his achievements and is more vocal about it than a lot of folks appear to like. I think he has earned that right, especially considering how his life started out confused24.gif

I plan to visit his shop at some point in the future and hoping that looking over some of his achievements will help to motivate me (kick me in the ass) on my restoration processes.
lonewolfe
I like what Magnus is doing personally. I'd say he's certainly an enthusiast and just able to afford to pursue his passion later in life as he has the means to do it now. Not so different than myself! I don't know anything about forums he participates in and what has transpired there. So, it doesn't concern me. You have to remember he's a designer who has a trademark style with his persona. It's not for everybody! I'm in NorCal so maybe I'm the odd man out. I honestly believe he digs Porsches. We can all understand that!
veekry9
Mosport,St. Jovite and the Glen in the '60s.
F1 from then til now.
A certain 356A a b-law drove until it dissolved into a brown stain in the driveway.
It died in '73 of salt consumption.
A Ghia and 62 Beetle about that time.
A few serious drives in Quebec,911T.I have to admit the car scared me plenty.
I failed to get the technique to driving it fast.
Farmhand,millwright CNC Machinist for more than 44yrs.
Many autos.A few fast bikes as mentioned earlier.
Aircooled ambition since acquiring the 914.
veekry9
From what I can see of the wheel manufacture method,it's no different than machining aircraft components.
The finish is nice,the design although similar to Fuchs,not the same.
Modern sizes,custom.
It's CA.
altitude411
Has anyone heard of the sandwich invented by Frank & Charles Menches?

Have you heard of McDonalds?

It's not always the person who is first to do something succsessfully but the person who can promote that thing to it's fullest potential that is successful....

Magnus is a successful promoter, and here in America that means everything. Haters gonna hate, hate, hate. I don't think he has stolen anyone's patent has he?
veekry9
Denouncement requires little effort,a form of lowest common denominator.
A definition of under-achievement.
It is the nature of the world,
Some do.
Some don't.

Significant to me on December 7.
No other recourse than to put a boot up an ass.
pisces914
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Dec 7 2014, 07:07 PM) *

. . .Magnus is a successful promoter . . .

agree.gif

for me, it's not about hating, it's about attempting to have an accurate perception of what's happening or what has happened - you are absolutely correct, that is what he is -

many uninformed porsche folks out there don't know their history, and believe that magnus was the inventor of many mods, such as louvers, drilled door handles, or even the term "outlaw" - many believe what they are seeing is the effect of magnus on porsche's, rather than porsche's effect on him -

a major factor in their mistaken beliefs results from magnus' successful promotions
altitude411
There are people that know and people that "think they know" You sir are in the correct line. beerchug.gif
MoveQik
I just hope he builds a 914 someday. Then I will own a car that I can't afford. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
I tried selling him mine at Rennsport , he had Turbo eyes..
monkeyboy
I have heard he has one already. It's coming.
pisces914
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Dec 9 2014, 02:26 PM) *

I have heard he has one already. It's coming.

I just hope he builds a 914 someday. Then I will own a car that I can't afford. biggrin.gif

agree.gif

i bet his 914/? build will be lowered, have louvers, contrasted painted front bumpers, rear bumpers, rockers, and roof - and he will be the first person in the history of porsche 914/?'s to have ever done that . . . not!
JmuRiz
Yep, probably look kindda like Joe OBrien's car...but not quite.
lonewolfe
Has Magnus ever said he was the first to do any of the mods he's done to his cars? I don't remember him saying anything like that. I guess I missed something and should look at his video's again.
veekry9
I like what he's doing because i have intimate knowledge of the tech.
I do recognize the designers decision in '66.
A drop forged alloy wheel is necessary.
Whittling a wrought plate to a similar design works for me too.
Any look is easily achieved,simply draw or scratch it out on a napkin and enter into your system and post it to the Haas vertical.
Presto! a wheel center.Now make 4 more.Push the button.Done.Modern times.

https://www.machinetools.com/en/for-sale/ma...taProp_12=model

That's a dirt cheap price.
Knackered likely but good nuf for some apps.
pisces914
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Dec 9 2014, 08:43 PM) *

Has Magnus ever said he was the first to do any of the mods he's done to his cars? I don't remember him saying anything like that. I guess I missed something and should look at his video's again.

again, i don't want to beat up on poor magnus, who by all accounts, including my limited meeting him, is a nice guy, and i haven't heard magnus claim he was the first to do his mods, although many "magnus-heads" seem to believe that - at the same time, from what i can find, i've never seen him give credit to anyone else for his inspiration, rather he is an excellent self-promoter aktion035.gif

to contrast, rob dickinson of singer fame (maybe you've seen his cars tested on top gear,) whom i've met many times at events in his old 911 cafe racer, always goes out of his way to humbly credits others who came first or simultaneously for his inspiration (and he's an ex-pat brit as well) - check out this article and video:

http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/rob-dicki...-singer-porsche

i've also known gary and rod emory for years, and they have are always crediting their family inspirations for their work, as well as being exceptionally helpful to answer questions, provide parts, have events at their farm, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0F8K6S447A

i guess it's a personal preference for a personal style, and in the great scheme of things, it's all pretty meaningless, but as magnus aggressively markets himself on the relevant forums and media, for only his own gains, i believe this has made him more and more a polarizing figure in the porsche world - for me, it's gotten old, contrived, and has motivated a habitual online bystander like me to comment . . .
dale73914
Most modifications these days are an extension of what someone else has done.
Look at the hot rodding movement in the 50's to where we are now with it. progression and refinement.

So he built up some cars, talked to all that would listen, and made a business out of it, a brand, and a name for himself.

what do i say, good on him !!

If he can make a name for himself, have a garage full of things i can only dream about, and live a good life, what are we all bitching about.
Wouldnt we all really like to be happy...

Half his luck !!

I've never met him, but have had a few brief conversations over the years online on FB. He seems to me to be a nice bloke.

he was also generous enough to offer to send me a signed movie poster when Urban Outlaw was released, which we have framed and hanging on the wall in the TV room.

And yes, i own quite a few of his tshirts ( and a hoodie wink.gif ) , after all i am as my wife calls me, a " T-shirt whore "...
veekry9
That's it exactly.
A football team earns a touchdown and is celebrated.
"Way to go Dallas!"
well,
"Way to go Magnus!"

I have limited info on what he's achieved to date,I happen to like what he did with the look.
Not a copy,unique,original.
If you like custom rims then your selection is now larger.
The quality is topnotch.
What's not to like?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.