Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 12pt male socket for oil relief on side of case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I have been trying to find the 12 pt male socket that is used to remove the oil relief nut from the side of the engine case. I believe it is 13mm or 14mm. I thought Sears might have it but no luck. None of the local auto parts stores have it either.

Any suggestions?
jacksun
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-2595...CFQOSaQodHZ4ASA

actually called "triple square sockets"

stugray
I think that is the one that Mcmark (or someone else on this forum) said that a 3/8" extension fits in there.
914Sixer
I have a Stahwille one if you would like to borrow it.
budk
NAPA, or most other Auto parts stores.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 21 2014, 03:09 PM) *

I think that is the one that Mcmark (or someone else on this forum) said that a 3/8" extension fits in there.

Don't waste your money/time looking for a special tool.
3/8" socket extension is perfect.
barefoot
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 21 2014, 04:09 PM) *

Yep, 3/8 extension works just fine, thanks for the tip.

Slight hijack however;
I have 2 motors partially dis-assembled, a 2L that has this relief valve and an older motor of 1.7 or 1.8 vintage --W1 & GC003110 markings (was in my 76 when i got it) that has this hole plugged with a deep pressed in plug, were older motors configured differently, or did some PO do some unapproved mods ???
That car had an external oil cooler mounted using a thermostatically controlled device sandwiched over the oil filter.
Barefoot

barefoot
Bump icon_bump.gif
krazykonrad
I got mine from Summit Racing as well.

Konrad
Valy
Not all engines had the 2nd relief valve.
I have a single relief case.
JFJ914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jun 22 2014, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 21 2014, 04:09 PM) *

Yep, 3/8 extension works just fine, thanks for the tip.

Slight hijack however;
I have 2 motors partially dis-assembled, a 2L that has this relief valve and an older motor of 1.7 or 1.8 vintage --W1 & GC003110 markings (was in my 76 when i got it) that has this hole plugged with a deep pressed in plug, were older motors configured differently, or did some PO do some unapproved mods ???
That car had an external oil cooler mounted using a thermostatically controlled device sandwiched over the oil filter.
Barefoot

GC engines were single relief. No unapproved mod.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.