Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tracking down oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swooshdave
I crawled under the car to check some things out. The major concern was the oil piddles on the ground.

IPB Image
The engine was mostly dry and the transmission was wet. But that could just mean it was coming back from the engine so after taking the picture I went to cleaning.

IPB Image
The right bank of engine had some oil on it.

Are transmission leaks common? Maybe the pushrod tubes are leaking?
76-914
Clean it well then let it run whilst parked. Driving down the road will blow the oil back. After it has run a while check again. Common areas are the push tube seals which are cheap and easily replaced; valve cover gaskets, ditto; oil cooler seals; oil pressure sender; oil pressure sender. Both the oil pressure sender and oil cooler are on the right side.
Mike Bellis
My guess is the front main seal. Unless you drive backwards all the time. Then I would guess the rear stack gasket.
swooshdave
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 22 2014, 12:25 PM) *

My guess is the front main seal. Unless you drive backwards all the time. Then I would guess the rear stack gasket.

IPB Image
I think you might be right. Found this weeping at the back of the engine this morning after wiping it clean last night.
Mike Bellis
Pretty easy fix but you have to pull the tranny.
TheCabinetmaker
Is it oil or gear lube? Looks kinda green, unless you're running brad penn oil.
swooshdave
I think it's the poor lighting. No idea what oil is in it.

Cary came over and took at look at it. The consensus is the main seal.

Going to drop the motor at some point and do the seal and the pushrods.
dangrouche
i had the same issue years ago; here is a pic of my leak. It was the rear main seal. touch and smell it; tranny oil has a higher pungent smell than motor oil
Dr Evil
Not (just) the tranny. That engine definitely has leaks. In your first pic it looks like an oil drop about to fall from the boss at the rear of the case on the bottom.
swooshdave
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 22 2014, 09:26 PM) *

Not (just) the tranny. That engine definitely has leaks. In your first pic it looks like an oil drop about to fall from the boss at the rear of the case on the bottom.

Yes, I suspect push rod tube seals and rear main seal at the least.
rhodyguy
Start the PBblaster routine on your exhaust stud nuts. If the rest are like the one pictured it's going to be a long process. The one we can see is as rusted up as they come. icon8.gif barf.gif
swooshdave
I'll hit them up but I do you need to pull the exhaust off to do either of the seals mentioned?
jacksun
people have posted that they have changed the tube seals without removing the

engine or exhausts. it is tight for a couple of the tubes.

I have chosen to remove the engine to do all the cleaning and seal replacements.

also do the hell hole.

the advice given within the instructions found at pelican parts regarding removing

the engine that I found very helpful, was to have two floor jacks.

as you can see I used the floor jacks to lift my engine and place four stands

for extra safety.. of course each to their own/resources.

I am in the process of cleaning my engine/trans..

it would seem that the tube seals and valve cover gaskets had not been replaced

in many miles.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
PlantMan
QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jun 23 2014, 07:42 PM) *

I'll hit them up but I do you need to pull the exhaust off to do either of the seals mentioned?

I just changed out my pushrod seals without removing the exhaust but did remove the heater boxes and misc steel under the car from the exchangers forward. Engine was in the car BTW. I can see by your other post that you do not have the heater boxes so you will save yourself some time.
Give yourself a day (8 hours) if you are going to change the pushrod seals, especially if it is your first time. You will want to get in there and clean-up in and around the seals good. It is not difficult to do but you will spend a lot of time cleaning while pulling tubes, changing seals, etc.
Do a search within this site for the process. I learned a lot about removing the rocker arms, retaining wire, piston positions, and making sure everything goes back together properly.
However, if you plan on dropping the engine at some point...you probably could live with a few drops of oil and little smoke!
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.