Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Undercarriage inspection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swooshdave
This is my first time under the car (and the first time under a 914 or even a VW) so I could use a little help identifying some things.

IPB Image
There is an unattached cable on the right side.

IPB Image
There is also another unattached cable above the shifter.

IPB Image
The car has an ANSA exhaust. I'm not sure if these two pieces are suppose to meet.

IPB Image
I wonder if this hole should have something attached to it?
Mblizzard
It looks like your heat system is pretty much missing!

Thee cables should connect to heater valves that are opened by the lever just to the rear of the shift lever. If you have heat exchangers you need a number of parts to make the heat work.
bulitt
Air circulates around your exhaust in a heat exchanger.
When heated the air is blown into the two tubes which run inside
your longs. The other ends of the longs have flexible tubes which direct the air up through the dash into the blower plenum. Looks like you are missing
fans, tubes,flapper valves, etc.

Front air system
IPB Image

Rear air system (fans missing from pic)
IPB Image
jacksun
hi,

the following is a snip from pelican parts

"a" is where the heater control wires hook up.........one for each side.

randal

Click to view attachment
76-914
Be sure your car still has the heat exchangers before you start sourcing parts. That would be the big ticket item. Everything else is cheap and easily sourced.
lsintampa
first two pictures are cables that should attach to heat bellows / valves that let heat into those big holes that run into the car cabin (the last picture).

There should be two of those big holes.

Heat exchangers surround your exhaust "pipes" that connect to the valves.

I see your oil cooler so I assume the motor is in.

DO NOT drive this car in this condition. There are many pictures here to show how your exhaust needs to be setup.

The holes into the cabin will allow carbon dioxide into the car cabin - you don't want that.

swooshdave
Without the fan motors on I would think it would be pretty tough for the exhaust gases to get to the cabin. It's about the most convoluted path invented.
jmill
QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jun 22 2014, 09:50 AM) *

It's about the most convoluted path invented.

What did you expect, it's German. It has 10 parts when 3 would do. av-943.gif
cary
That big tube in your last picture is the warm air path to your passenger compartment.
So lingering exhaust gases could get sucked in. In the short term just close them up with duct tape.

If you'd like, I could stop by after lunch today.
malcolm2
QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jun 22 2014, 09:50 AM) *

Without the fan motors on I would think it would be pretty tough for the exhaust gases to get to the cabin. It's about the most convoluted path invented.

The FAN MOTOR, I believe you are talking about, really only blows air when the car is idling. Older cars had 2 outlets on the fan motor under the relay box in the engine compartment. Later fans only had 1 outlet on the fan and you could add a splitter to go to both pass and driver. I stuck with the 1 for me, the driver.

My fan works, but the engine is running down the road at 3000 rpm, so it over takes the electric heater fan. It turns on when the red floor lever is pulled all the way up. I only use the bottom dash lever when it is cold.
swooshdave
QUOTE(cary @ Jun 22 2014, 08:26 AM) *

That big tube in your last picture is the warm air path to your passenger compartment.
So lingering exhaust gases could get sucked in. In the short term just close them up with duct tape.

If you'd like, I could stop by after lunch today.

I'll PM you. That would be awesome.
swooshdave
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jun 22 2014, 08:28 AM) *

My fan works, but the engine is running down the road at 3000 rpm, so it over takes the electric heater fan. It turns on when the red floor lever is pulled all the way up. I only use the bottom dash lever when it is cold.

Yes, I'll make sure I seal off the openings until I get things sorted.

IPB Image
Right heat exchanger. It's pretty loose. Not sure where it attaches to.

IPB Image
Left heat exchanger. Doesn't rattle as much as the right.

IPB Image
Another picture of the heat exchanger and what I think is the J pipe. Not sure why they don't line up.

IPB Image
Another shot of the driver side.

IPB Image
In the engine compartment behind the driver.

IPB Image
Facing down above the battery.
jacksun
hi,

look at the diagram I posted before..

it looks like you are missing both heater control boxes

plus on the passenger side the branch pipe

both branch pipes also connect to the bottom side corners of

fan assembly housing .
Dave_Darling
Some pics of the parts as they go together:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A common patch for the rattling exchanger is a stainless steel hose clamp at the rear of the "wrapping".

--DD
swooshdave
IPB Image

I need to start looking for the stuff I outlined in green.
Dave_Darling
Part of what you outlined is the forward of the pipes up to the head. wink.gif

You have the tube that runs from the exchanger to the flapper valve. In my pic it is shown attached to the valve, but you already have it.

--DD
malcolm2
slightly off topic, but I need some pictures of the tin at attaches under the car.

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
There are two styles for the right side, and three for the left side.

Early on, the left-side piece bent down under the shift rod. Starting in 73 with the side-shift linkage, the piece then bent up to go over the rod. (The right side stayed the same.)

When they went to the 75+ exhaust, the pieces changed shape to fit the new exhaust.

The older style, as shown in your pic, has two (I think) screws that hold it onto the heat exchanger. Those go through weld-nuts on the edge of the "wrapping" part of the exchanger. There is one or two screws on the inboard edge of the tin piece that go into bosses that stick out of the side of the crankcase.

Sorry, no pics handy.

--DD
swooshdave
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jun 23 2014, 12:32 PM) *

slightly off topic, but I need some pictures of the tin at attaches under the car.

I'll get the car back up in the air and get some pictures specifically of these parts.
GeorgeRud
If you want to drive it without heat, you can use a couple of spray paint lids and hose clamps to seal off the body connections until you can put the entire system back together.
swooshdave
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 23 2014, 08:14 PM) *

If you want to drive it without heat, you can use a couple of spray paint lids and hose clamps to seal off the body connections until you can put the entire system back together.

Yeah, current plan is to drive around this summer and then pull the motor to do the seals that are leaking. No need for a heater.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.