Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Wiper Engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonpr88
My Windshield wipers work just fine, but it can not spray water. I'm pretty sure its missing a pump. I have a 1975 914. Does anyone know what parts I need, how hard it is to install myself, and where I can purchase the proper parts and instructions?

Thank you
mepstein
There is no pump. The system used air pressure from the spare tire. It had its issues and most are now inoperative.
stugray
Have your local FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) to lookup the pump for your car.
It should provide some entertainment av-943.gif

These cars did not have pumps.

In the front trunk is a line that connects to the spare tire and pressurizes the washer fluid tank.
The cap of the WW fluid tank should have a nipple on it that has this tube attached.
If it is there, fill up the fluid, connect the hose to the spare tire, then immediately check under the dash for any fluid leaking.
If not, try the squirter valve.
I think it is pull the washer switch , but I dont know for sure as I have never had a car where this worked.

Other than that, there are aftermarket pump upgrades you can get.
Someone on here will post the link by the time I get done typing:

AND

welcome.png
jonpr88
Here is a picture of the wiper fluid tank (i think). Is there a tube I would need to purchase to connect it to the spare tire?

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
it's just a plastic hose with ends to attach to the tank and tire. Some bicycle tire pumps have an end that will screw onto the tire valve. Should be easy to do. Use your imagination. Or, do a search (yes I know, search engine is not friendly) there was a recent thread on making your own electric pump set up.

Btw, welcome.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

A 911 pump can be installed to work but you need a button or modify the guts in the steering column. You also have to slightly modify the cap on the tank.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 22 2014, 03:19 PM) *
A 911 pump can be installed to work but you need a button or modify the guts in the steering column. You also have to slightly modify the cap on the tank.

agree.gif

Adding a (911) electrical pump is not that hard to do:
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php

bye1.gif
Dave_Darling
The systems were often disconnected because they started leaking. Usually in the steering column, giving the driver a very wet lap...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.