Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 3.2 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Clemson
The Shop has taken the existing 1.8 out and will be welding the motor mount and re-painting the engine bay. Transaxle re-build will start soon.

Parts ordered, I am broke now.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Anyone need a 1.8 with webers?
dlee6204
popcorn[1].gif

QUOTE(Clemson @ Jun 24 2014, 07:15 PM) *

Anyone need a 1.8 with webers?

Maybe... idea.gif what are the details on it?
Clemson
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jun 24 2014, 07:40 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

QUOTE(Clemson @ Jun 24 2014, 07:15 PM) *

Anyone need a 1.8 with webers?

Maybe... idea.gif what are the details on it?

I really don't know the history. I bought the car back in May. Ran fine from Columbia SC to Banner Elk, NC then down to the shop near Charlotte plus a few drives in the mountains.
Clemson
Engine mount tacked into place for a test fit.Click to view attachment

New engine bolted to the transaxle for the test fit.Click to view attachment
Steve
Take Air Flow Meter off. Otherwise it will hit the rear trunk. You will need to angle it towards the front to fit. Check my blog for pictures.
Clemson
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 1 2014, 01:19 PM) *

Take Air Flow Meter off. Otherwise it will hit the rear trunk. You will need to angle it towards the front to fit. Check my blog for pictures.

THANKS
swooshdave
popcorn[1].gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jul 1 2014, 12:27 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Click on his name above the avatar to find a blog.
patssle
Your oil cooler needs to be modified with a 90 degree fitting welded on. Rich Johnson does it - I used him. See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4319

Also isn't the PMS motor mount great? So glad I paid the little extra for it instead of the normal bulkhead welded mounts.
Steve
For me it was easier to remove the airflow meter and then modify it to fit after the motor was in the car. Otherwise the AFM will hit the engine lid latch and prevent you from installing the motor. I actually just put the motor back in the car a month ago. I am using extenders from Pep boys and a MSDS Cone filter and his adapter. You can also click my name and then check my blog to see pictures of how i used the stock air cleaner. Here are some links to a couple of pictures in my blog.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...ach&id=1704
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...ach&id=1706
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Clemson
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 1 2014, 10:03 PM) *

For me it was easier to remove the airflow meter and then modify it to fit after the motor was in the car. Otherwise the AFM will hit the engine lid latch and prevent you from installing the motor. I actually just put the motor back in the car a month ago. I am using extenders from Pep boys and a MSDS Cone filter and his adapter. You can also click my name and then check my blog to see pictures of how i used the stock air cleaner. Here are some links to a couple of pictures in my blog.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...ach&id=1704
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...ach&id=1706
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

good info, thank you
dcecc1968
Hey, I recognize that shop. John does good work.
Clemson
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Jul 2 2014, 07:56 AM) *

Hey, I recognize that shop. John does good work.

Yes, the 914 is with John Forbes of Black Forest Racing in Denver, NC. Looking forward to getting it back in a few weeks.
patssle
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 1 2014, 06:03 PM) *

I like your high tech block off plate!
Steve
QUOTE(patssle @ Jul 2 2014, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 1 2014, 06:03 PM) *

I like your high tech block off plate!

LOL I was worried about rats or mice climbing into the plumbing. They will be removed when I put the headers back on.
Clemson
Its been awhile since my last update. Here are some current pics. John found a little rust (there is no such thing as a rust free 914) when his shop was removing the old 4 cly. mounts. We decided to plate the area and add a chassis stiffening kit.

Its been going a little slow but the transaxle has been rebuilt including a billet intermediate plate. Its all bolted up ready to install once the engine compartment gets painted.

I am going down Friday to see it in person and hopefully see the engine / trans installed. Can't wait to drive it!
Clemson
The engine compartment finally is painted!
Clemson
Now that the metal work has been finished up, the engine and transaxle was installed today. Notice the billet pieces on the transaxle, hopefully the 901 will handle the power of the 3.2.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Clemson @ Aug 18 2014, 02:06 PM) *

Now that the metal work has been finished up, the engine and transaxle was installed today. Notice the billet pieces on the transaxle, hopefully the 901 will handle the power of the 3.2.

I've been running my 3.2 with a 901 since 2006. Guys run 3.6's. You'll be fine unless you really plan on beating on the car. Cool conversion!
naro914
901 will be fine with a 3.2...that's what's in both Huey and Papa Smurf.

Hey, I stood under your car earlier today just as they were putting the exhaust on. Nice car...you ARE bringing it to Okteenerfest...right? John said you're going... smile.gif
Clemson
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 18 2014, 06:32 PM) *

901 will be fine with a 3.2...that's what's in both Huey and Papa Smurf.

Hey, I stood under your car earlier today just as they were putting the exhaust on. Nice car...you ARE bringing it to Okteenerfest...right? John said you're going... smile.gif

Yes, that's the plan. Probably its first road trip.
naro914
Well, John will be there so if anything goes wrong, he can fix it on the spot! Perfect time for its first road trip...mechanic close by!!
bcheney
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 18 2014, 08:56 PM) *

Well, John will be there so if anything goes wrong, he can fix it on the spot! Perfect time for its first road trip...mechanic close by!!

You are in good hands with John. Your car is interesting. Post some pics of the exterior. Have a blast at the event!!
Clemson
John Forbes and Jeff have been working hard on the conversion now that the metal work was done and the engine installed. The oil coolers are hung and are be plumbed. Fingers crossed to hear it start by the end of the week. smile.gif
JmuRiz
I like that cooler setup!
Clemson
Black Forest Racing made a lot of progress this week. Starting with installing the engine on Monday. By Friday Most of the wiring is done, the battery box is in, the custom brackets on the oil coolers are painted, with nice bolts on them. The oil lines, all braided stainless steel, done. The throttle cable, that we spent a lot of money on, doesn’t work. Patrick Motorsports doesn’t turn the intake around. So the cable is much shorter and won’t hook up to ours which is flipped. So we will have to hand make a system. The exhaust system is complete.

Hopefully it will crank early next week.
naro914
Not sure I understand why the throttle cable does not work? I use a Terry Cable that is designed for a 914/6 set up. Perfect size, no custom design needed...and fairly inexpensive.

On Huey, we go back to the bellcrank attached to the transmission then back forward to the rod that goes in through the sheet metal to the throttle. In Papa Smurf, we devised a bracket that brings the throttle cable directly to the throttle body at the engine, no bellcrank needed.
Clemson
going to pick up the car Friday, its alive! smile.gif
bcheney

piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif
tumamilhem
Nice. This is the conversion I would like to have (with a 3.2). Congrats and enjoy! smile.gif
Clemson
Took delivery Friday evening. Sounds GREAT! Tons of power, and it will set you back in the seat. And cranks on the first try (fuel injection is wonderful). Black Forest has done a superb job.

Went on a drive in the 'neighborhood' along the Blue Ridge Pkwy and surrounding roads. Too bad its a holiday weekend, the roads are filled with tourists and minivans (and police). Had a great time anyway and found a few stretches to have fun without rolling roadblocks.

Have a few teething issues, making a list for John to address.
Java2570
driving.gif Enjoy! That's a beautiful car you have there! And you have plenty of nice roads to drive on...
bcheney
Congratulations...I remember the feeling when I first got my 6 conversion out on the open road! Hey I have family that live in Blowing Rock...will have to let you know whenever we head up the way to visit and maybe can get together to share some conversion war stories!
Clemson
QUOTE(bcheney @ Aug 31 2014, 11:40 AM) *

Congratulations...I remember the feeling when I first got my 6 conversion out on the open road! Hey I have family that live in Blowing Rock...will have to let you know whenever we head up the way to visit and maybe can get together to share some conversion war stories!

I live out in the country across from Grandfather Mtn. Thinking of having a 914 gathering next summer. Lots of room to park 914's, grill out, drive the area roads. Do you think there would be any interest?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.