Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sherlock
Anyone have a favorite tool for removing the trim around the windshield, and then the actual windshield? It's not the original windshield.
Sfreeman615
QUOTE(Sherlock @ Jun 24 2014, 08:58 PM) *

Anyone have a favorite tool for removing the trim around the windshield, and then the actual windshield? It's not the original windshield.

ice pick and a guitar string works the best to get the windshield out! I just used a small screw driver to get the trim off, but I wasn't worried about messing mine up, I'm going with the thick black rubber that they will install with the new windshield.
bdstone914
Use a sturdy box cutter knife along the edge of the trim and windshield frame. When you come to a clip tap the knife with a wood block or small hammer to cut through to clip. You can remove the trim all together without damage.
I then use the knife to cut through the butyl from the inside and outside.
Then I use an old accelerator cable or other small stranded cable to saw through the butyl on the sides and top. From that point you can often push gently on the top and the bottom will break loose. Doing it on a hot day in the sun helps.
dangrouche
here was my technique and installation

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=235156
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.