Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starts but won't continue to run
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
2056 running L jet

Drive the car for about 30 min parked it for about 15 then started back.

It started to cut out and then just died. It will start and run for a few seconds but then dies. There is fuel and spark. Any ideas? Don't see any pinched lines any where.

Ambient temp is 77 degrees

Kirmizi
Fuel filter? confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I'd look for a vacuum leak first thing.

The Cap'n
jmargush
Fuel filter was changed recently
I'll recheck vacuum lines but haven't seen anything of yet

Does it possibly sound like plugged screen on pick up tube in tank?
Porschef
Cutting out sounds like fuel starvation. Your sock idea is logical, mimics the effect of a clogged fuel filter. Pull your new filter (easier than the tank chair.gif) and check for ANY signs of contamination which may indicate crud. IIRC, you can get a flashlight and see the sock either thru the sender hole or filler once removed.
injunmort
if vacuum leaks and fuel filter check, I would suspect the coil is failing.

they work when cold then expand as they get hotter and the winding separate. it will still throw a spark but not consistently
bdstone914
Check for fuel pressure. If it is getting starved the pressure will drop quickly after startup. You can rent for free a fuel pressure tester at an OReilly or Autozone store. Test at the port on the fuel rail. Be sure to wash off any spilled fuel after removing the tester so it does not start a fire.
Mblizzard
Also check to be sure the fuel pump continues to run and it is not cutting out for any reason. If it is fuel starvation due to debris in the tank and line, I would replace all of the fuel lines. Tangerine Racing has the stainless Steel tunnel lines and a kit for the other fuel hoses. Get the fuel sock also.

I would install an in line fuel pressure gauge. It helps a bunch when you have issues. Mine would not start after doing some work. Checked the gauge. Pressure = 0. Go put the wire you knocked of the fuel pump back on and it's fixed. We'll worth it.
Bartlett 914
It was running before the filter change? I would look for a kinked line where you changed the filter
jmargush
It ran for quite some time after the filter change I even pulled the pump out from under the tank when it died to make sure that wasn't an issue.

I even changed coil while on the side of the road with no difference.
Haven't had time to get back out and see if it magically starts and runs
jmargush
Just tried to start it and it is still doing the same thing.

put a meter on the pump contacts and no voltage when I move the flapper in the airbox (key on).

There is voltage when the engine is cranking but as soon as it starts and I let off the starter no voltage.

Does this point to the relay?
Refresh my memory is the pump relay on the relay board in the engine compartment?

Or should I check something else?
motorvated
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jun 29 2014, 04:49 PM) *

put a meter on the pump contacts and no voltage when I move the flapper in the airbox (key on).

There is voltage when the engine is cranking but as soon as it starts and I let off the starter no voltage.

Refresh my memory is the pump relay on the relay board in the engine compartment?

Fuel pump relay is hanging off the battery tray. I'd check for loose or unconnected wires there for sure.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(motorvated @ Jun 29 2014, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(jmargush @ Jun 29 2014, 04:49 PM) *

Fuel pump relay is hanging off the battery tray. I'd check for loose or unconnected wires there for sure.

I don't think the fuel pump relay is located on the battery tray? It is located in the control board on the drivers side isn't it?

Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
Ljet is a different animal, the dual relay near the battery tray runs the fuel pump.
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jun 29 2014, 03:49 PM) *

I think you are on the right track. If you manually deflected the AFM flap, and no fuel pump action with the key on, could be one of three things. Start by testing the continuity of pins 36 and 39 at the AFMs connector. You should see 0 ohms with the flap deflected and infinite ohms when the AFMs flap is at rest. Start with this test, and report back.
sixnotfour
flapper stuck closed , push it open and listen for fuel pump...
the flapper door gets sticky or warped.
jmargush
looks like it is the relay
I tapped on it a few times and then moved the flap and the pump ran.

thanks for your help guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.