Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Shop Manual?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sfreeman615
Anyone provide advice or opinions on the best 914 shop manual for tear down and reassembly??
Dave_Darling
Best: 914world.

Next-best: Factory shop manual. Not great, but there isn't anything much better out there.

Third best: Haynes. Has 85% of the info of the factory manual (word for word, and the same images!) at less than 10% of the price.

Your best bet is to ask here, though. And look for on-line tech articles, like over on Pelican.

--DD
cgnj
Hi Dave,

I have to disagree with you. The world works if you have the "who has a clue filter" activated. My list is:

1. 914 World +"clue filter"
2. Factory Manual
3. Burn your money in the driveway "penalty for not observing the filter rule"

Carlos

If I knew who had a clue, my 2270 would be a 3.+ six"

cgnj
Hi,

Stirred the pot. Now the real question.

I started the 928's after it became clear that my son was going to be "too big for a 914'. Rennlist has an active link for a searchable 928 factory manual in PDF format.
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... the 914n factory manuals were available for download in PDF format.

Is this something that the world could or would do?

I may know someone in a galaxy far, far away.. that may have access to those PDFs.

Cartlos

Java2570
I would think the 914 manuals would be too large to store here.....copyright issues also??
My go to manual is usually the Haynes book but I also like the Clymer/Lash book for some
things. I also make liberal use of the Tom Wilson engine rebuild book for engine work. Sadly, not
any books are all great by themselves. I do a lot of searching here on 914 World and it's a great
resource for things the books don't have. Your best bet is to get some personal help from our
914 World members!
wndsnd
I was using Tom Wilson's book when I stripped the rocker studs out of my heads because of an error in the book on stud torque specifications.

Now I only trust the factory workshop manuals. The problem is we do not have the type of resources available to us that the 911 guys have with Bruce Anderson's and Wayne's books.

I agree that the World is our best resource, but I also have been around enough to get a feel for who is posting and what their creds are. This is something that the Newbies won't have a feel for.

John
orthobiz
I have used this filter for google that someone supplied:

914world Search Tool

I don't know if that's the clue filter or not...

Paul
Java2570
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jun 27 2014, 04:37 PM) *

I was using Tom Wilson's book when I stripped the rocker studs out of my heads because of an error in the book on stud torque specifications.

Now I only trust the factory workshop manuals. The problem is we do not have the type of resources available to us that the 911 guys have with Bruce Anderson's and Wayne's books.

I agree that the World is our best resource, but I also have been around enough to get a feel for who is posting and what their creds are. This is something that the Newbies won't have a feel for.

John

I guess I've only really used the torque values listed in the Haynes manual and not out of Wilson's book.
The thing I don't like about the Wilson book is the way it's got all the aircooled models intermixed and it
can be confusing to follow. I don't need more confusion, I'm good at that all by myself!!
Dave_Darling
Good points all around. The "clue filter" needs to be applied to any source, because all of them can contain misinformation or errors.

The cam setup in the Wilson book is definitely confusing, because of the way he puts references to all the engine types in close proximity.

Fortunately, we usually have people willing to jump in when they see incorrect information on here. Just like Carlos did with me! biggrin.gif

--DD
Michael N
QUOTE(cgnj @ Jun 27 2014, 11:05 AM) *

If I knew who had a clue, my 2270 would be a 3.+ six"

Too funny! av-943.gif quote of the week.
ripper911
IPB Image
Sfreeman615
Thanks guys! All very helpful and YES, the World is a great resource for just about everything! My main concern is a resource for that "Oh Shit, I managed to take it apart, but how the hell do I put it back together" moment. Also a resource for factory correct bolt sizes, that sort of thing. I'm having to pretty much rebuild this thing from the floor up!

If you haven't seen it, here is my build thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=231935
Java2570
Take a shit load of photos at dis-assembly! Take many more than you think are necessary, that way you can always go back and remind yourself or post them here for help when you can't figure it out.
And the Porsche PET diagrams are fairly helpful for finding out hardware sizes and having those
layouts of the assemblies is good as well. You can download pdf files of those to your PC, very
helpful to have.
I think I got some of that stuff and more from Jeff Bowlsby's website: https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
Sfreeman615
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Jun 27 2014, 07:09 PM) *

Take a shit load of photos at dis-assembly! Take many more than you think are necessary, that way you can always go back and remind yourself or post them here for help when you can't figure it out.
And the Porsche PET diagrams are fairly helpful for finding out hardware sizes and having those
layouts of the assemblies is good as well. You can download pdf files of those to your PC, very
helpful to have.
I think I got some of that stuff and more from Jeff Bowlsby's website: https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

Awesome! Thanks man. Trying to take a ton of pictures!
Olympic 914
All good suggestions. Especially take LOTS of pictures from different angles,
I used the Hayes manual the most, but also referred to Tom Wilsons book and the Clymer manual a bit. The Porsche PET diagrams are helpful cause they give you parts numbers that can lead to other searches.

If you really get stuck just ask here at the world, these guys have probably already come across any problem you could have and can give a variety of ways to solve it.

Elliot Cannon
Take lots of pictures, print them up 8X10, tape them on the wall of your garage/shop/kitchen etc. bye1.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 27 2014, 09:02 PM) *

Take lots of pictures, print them up 8X10, tape them on the wall of your garage/shop/kitchen etc. bye1.gif

Yup, that is way easier then facebook for Elliott.
His wall has all of his shared pictures hanging on it.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 27 2014, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 27 2014, 09:02 PM) *

Yup, that is way easier then facebook for Elliott.
His wall has all of his shared pictures hanging on it.

Elliot does not now nor will he EVER do facebook. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
READ THIS! The factory shop manual was written for dealer level techs with more than a passing knowledge of Porsches. It does NOT deal with fundamentals; it is assumed you already know your way around the car. They rarely tell you how to do stuff. Nut and bolt sizes are only mentioned if they're unusual, and torque specs are done by bolt size, for the most part, not specific applications. Much of the aftermarket books offer what the publishers chose to pick out of the factory manual, so you get less. They may leave out whole chapters ............... For the engine, you'll be better off with the Bentley manual for the T2. For wiring diagrams, Pelican's website. For D-jetronic, Paul Anders' website. For the rest of the car, you're better off asking here.

The Cap'n
Jon B
Cap'n, in some cases you're correct about factory manuals, but the factory 914 Workshop Manual set, all 8 volumes, is very comprehensive, does list torque specs for specific applications and does deal in most fundamentals. The factory 914 Specifications booklet is also good to have for quick reference. Of course, all the information in factory manuals apply to stock applications, so are limited in that respect.

Internet forums like World are terrific for getting answers, advice and knowledge, an enormous amount of information not found in manuals, but also be aware there's plenty of bad information and advice on forums as well.

Click to view attachment

Jon B.
Vista, CA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.